The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who says 'no' GMJB or BB? - 8 year at $7.5 - $60 million

I would go with a shorter 4 year deal and then sign Boeser to a six year deal to take him to age 32. We all know not a lot of wingers hold up into their 30’s. At 32 Boeser still has one more long term contract from anyone willing to take a chance on him. 

I think BB wants a shorter term deal. JB likely wants a deal taking him into his later 20s. Brock's agent is trying to avoid that with the cap going up like some have suggested with the new TV deal.

I just dont get why this drags on. Make an offer, its rejected and likely a counter offer is presented. At this point they have to say okay can we at least agree on the term of the deal, then you work out the cap hit and how the SB will work. These negotiations shouldn't take weeks, months etc to complete. Do they not talk for weeks at a time after an offer is submitted!?

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I think BB wants a shorter term deal. JB likely wants a deal taking him into his later 20s. Brock's agent is trying to avoid that with the cap going up like some have suggested with the new TV deal.

I just dont get why this drags on. Make an offer, its rejected and likely a counter offer is presented. At this point they have to say okay can we at least agree on the term of the deal, then you work out the cap hit and how the SB will work. These negotiations shouldn't take weeks, months etc to complete. Do they not talk for weeks at a time after an offer is submitted!?

It takes a lot time because both the agent and the GM use time to apply pressure. 

1) Offer made

2) Offer rejected

3) Counter-offer made 

4) Counter-offer rejected 

5) Both parties now wait for as long as they can before taking again because they are both trying to prove that they have the leverage and are not worried. 

It's fairly stupid actually. If these deals weren't built using mind games they would happen a lot faster. 

49 minutes ago, AllWeatherFan said:

It takes a lot time because both the agent and the GM use time to apply pressure. 

1) Offer made

2) Offer rejected

3) Counter-offer made 

4) Counter-offer rejected 

5) Both parties now wait for as long as they can before taking again because they are both trying to prove that they have the leverage and are not worried. 

It's fairly stupid actually. If these deals weren't built using mind games they would happen a lot faster. 

Of the remaining RFA's none are a true compareable to Brock. All have been healthy and all but Konecny have produced more offensively or in Connor's case has a very well polished 2 way game with PK reliability

8 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

When it's this close to the start of the season it's a stail mate. 

Now it's who will crumble first.

I am a Canuck fan through and through, but in saying that, I really wonder what is going on in the Boeser camp? I think that with all the recent signings, it pretty much lays out the value of Brock.

I think with the recent signings of McAvoy, Werenski, Provorov, Morrissey, Gardiner etc, all of which took sub 7 million deals, I think it pushes Boeser's camp back a little. I think you can dismiss Clayton Keller's contract as a 1 off, and go from there. Heck even William Nylander's contract, which was signed last year was signed by the Leafs under the pretense that Nylander was a 60+ point player.

IMO, Brock is a very good winger, but not elite, and should be a 27 to 37 goal player, which makes him a 1st line scoring winger, one which should be paid accordingly. I think that a 7 or 8 year contract is reasonable premise. The value should be in the range of 7 to 7.5 million per year. 

Personally, I would offer a 7 years @ 7.25 Million contract, front end loaded, with a L-NMC in the last 2 years. Give him his cash up front with 30 million in the first 3 years, which makes him a pretty enticing player in the last 2 years of his contract. It also helps his family now. (Keep in mind that the up front money, basically gives him a 400,000 to 600,000 dollars in interest on the extra bonus money which would be paid up front.)

If that is not of interest to Brock, I think I would be looking for a trade...……...

Trades I have seen on here which are of interest to me, are...……..

1. Anthony Mantha + 1st

2. Jordan Greenway, Boldy, + 1st

3. Brady Tkachuk

4. Zucker, Boldy + 2nd

I can't say these are the only trades out there, but ones, I would be interested. 

It is at this time, I caution CDC, not to be married to the players, as for a multitude of reasons, the players are not married to you. This is their job, and just like you, if you have a reason to look for a better job, you will.

Again, some people leave to look after family, others for more responsibility, and again others for money. All I ask, is to be open to the possibility. There is no doubt that any change in personnel will have a polarizing affect, and there is always risk. But if Brock has his heart in other places, we have to understand, they are good reasons, ones which I personally would wish him the best on.

Personally, I like several of the suggested trades, probably excluding #2

Another one, I personally like is...………...from Columbus

Alexander Wennberg, Josh Anderson + 2020 1st

for

Brock Boeser, Jake Virtanen + Lui Eriksson

At any rate...……...Brock, god bless his soul, is not worth more than 7.5 Million on a max year contract, and I even have a hard time with that. Sure wish God had given me more hockey talent (a lot more)

I ask myself...……….how much would Pettersson's contract be worth today? After all, he is a lot better than Boeser…...a lot better!     And I do not see his value more than

8.5 or 9 Million on a long term deal 

A lot said = value = nothing...…………...just opinion