The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

May have to leave the Canucks as a fan ;(

Rate this topic

AlamoCanuck

So just watched an Interview with Mr. Brent Larsen who was at the Game vs Dallas.   The Canucks Organization Confiscated a sign with 8 to 2 minutes to go that Said "I support Don Cherry"  and a pic of a Poppy with the excuse "it too big"... they had the host tell mislead him to the halway to be met by security and Van City Police to do this out of sight IMO.  Check the Orgs own policy on signs... nothing about size.  So Question is: does they Canucks org feel the need to take someone's property under false pretenses with police intimidation or is it the "Rogers Media" influence of negative opinion on their firing of Cherry.    I am a lifelong Canucks fan (77'-78') as a child and a Vet with PPCLI 1st Battalion CFB Currie Barracks stationed in Calgary during the 90's and now because of these actions I have to ask myself IF on principle I can continue to support this organization if support for the Poppy and (be honest) a non offensive(by language) sign can lead to violation of Charter Rights(free speech).   I honestly doubt this post will see the light of day which is truly sad.

Sincerely,

Canuck Fan

Cue ban by DebluvsCanucks in 5,4,3,2,

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

7 minutes ago, AlamoCanuck said:

So just watched an Interview with Mr. Brent Larsen who was at the Game vs Dallas.   The Canucks Organization Confiscated a sign with 8 to 2 minutes to go that Said "I support Don Cherry"  and a pic of a Poppy with the excuse "it too big"... they had the host tell mislead him to the halway to be met by security and Van City Police to do this out of sight IMO.  Check the Orgs own policy on signs... nothing about size.  So Question is: does they Canucks org feel the need to take someone's property under false pretenses with police intimidation or is it the "Rogers Media" influence of negative opinion on their firing of Cherry.    I am a lifelong Canucks fan (77'-78') as a child and a Vet with PPCLI 1st Battalion CFB Currie Barracks stationed in Calgary during the 90's and now because of these actions I have to ask myself IF on principle I can continue to support this organization if support for the Poppy and (be honest) a non offensive(by language) sign can lead to violation of Charter Rights(free speech).   I honestly doubt this post will see the light of day which is truly sad.

Sincerely,

Canuck Fan

How do you know it was the Canucks Organization and not the Rogers Arena staff?

• Upvote 4

Rogers does not own the Canucks organization. I don't doubt they were the ones calling for the sign to be confiscated, as it was probably viewable by some cameras, and they didn't want to look like the greedy, hypocritical chumps they really are on their own network.

I doubt the Canucks organization had any say in the matter.

Edited by Baer.

unfortunate but it is what it is....when a company sponsors your arena you're in business with them. If someone came into my house with a sign i didnt like id probably ask them to remove it or leave too haha.

I do agree with the sentiment but business is business bro! 

I support cherry as well. I don't think what he said even was intended as it was interpreted and it made sportsnet look bad. Dont get my wrong, I cringe when he's on too but just fire the guy like a man don't make a circus out of it

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AlamoCanuck said:

Sincerely,

Canuck Fan

a lot of assumptions there

why don't you try to find out what he was in fact told

rather then guess

i kinda doubt the nucks are anti poppy

but i am open to be proven wrong

and there simply has to be some sort of limit on sign messaging at sporting events

people cannot bring signs about everything and anything

i suspect a sign about cherry is not closely enough connected with the game at which is was displayed