The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Panthers set to retire Luongo's No. 1

Rate this topic

Rubik

6 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Re: the bolded above:  Moving from 10 registrations to 20 is a 100% increase; this stat doesn't mean much.

Luongo was a great goalie for us but he was also a head case.

e.g:

Thought he was f#$^&ing God, captain, GM, owner, thought he was the ref, the linesman, poker champion, etc., etc.

Abandons the team in playoff OT.

Leaves the net to call an offside while the play goes on and Boston scores.

Runs his mouth and re-inspires Boston.

Screwed the team contract-wise.

Screwed the team demanding a trade to only Florida (really, Chicago and Toronto were insults).

Screwed the team by not retiring.

Etc.

I agree with everything said, but i think you may have confused Kesler demanding anaheim or Chicago as the only places he would accept a trade to.

Plus

Luongo retiring pretty much sealed the fate of having #1 retired in Vancouver.

It ain't gonna happen.

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

I agree with everything said, but i think you may have confused Kesler demanding anaheim or Chicago as the only places he would accept a trade to.

Plus

Luongo retiring pretty much sealed the fate of having #1 retired in Vancouver.

It ain't gonna happen.

I stand corrected.

(But TBF, they were/are both head cases.)

• Upvote 1

On 3/9/2020 at 3:40 AM, GhostsOf1994 said:

Show me a goalie that has had two 35 win seasons, the only 30 plus win seasons with that franchise 10 years apart that has their number retired.

They're not perfect examples but Mike Richter and Rogatien Vachon come reasonably close to your criteria.

On 3/10/2020 at 10:35 AM, Squamfan said:

Burrows was the other person, pretty classless not of him not to invite the twins considering they asked him to come

Luongo was part of the same Vancouver teams for which the Twins were having their jerseys retired.

The Twins never had anything to do with Luongo's Panther teams.  Sure it would be nice to invite them but it's not really the same thing.

It's like Paul Coffey making sure Mark Messier is there if his number gets retired in Pittsburgh.

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

They're not perfect examples but Mike Richter and Rogatien Vachon come reasonably close to your criteria.

Richter has a cup, Rogie has a vezina and a cup.

Winning championships = Jersey retirement 

Vachon played for many teams, Richter played for one team during his career.

14 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Richter has a cup, Rogie has a vezina and a cup.

Winning championships = Jersey retirement 

Vachon played for many teams, Richter played for one team during his career.

Vachon won the Vezina when the criteria were very different and it wasn't limited to one goalie.  And he won it for a different team from the one that retired his jersey.  The same goes for his Cups.  Those weren't for the Kings and for one of the two he played 2 playoff games.

As for Richter winning a Cup...  Well, Barrasso won two for the Penguins and no jersey retirement.  Tim Thomas, Mike Vernon in Detroit, Khabibulin, Osgood, Ranford, etc.

The point is you were drawing a line for a body of work with a team (Luongo in Florida) and saying it was insufficient for a jersey retirement.  So I pointed to a couple of goalies that are in the same ballpark and have their jerseys retired.

Luongo has played the second most games by a goalie in NHL history and did most of it with Florida.  Mike Richter played 666 games in his entire career.  Luongo played almost 600 for Florida alone and then has his entire Vancouver career added onto that.

Vachon played 389 games for the Kings.  Far less than McLean played for the Canucks.

On 3/10/2020 at 5:11 AM, Goal:thecup said:

Re: the bolded above:  Moving from 10 registrations to 20 is a 100% increase; this stat doesn't mean much.

Luongo was a great goalie for us but he was also a head case.

e.g:

Thought he was f#$^&ing God, captain, GM, owner, thought he was the ref, the linesman, poker champion, etc., etc.

Abandons the team in playoff OT.

Leaves the net to call an offside while the play goes on and Boston scores.

Runs his mouth and re-inspires Boston.

Screwed the team contract-wise.

Screwed the team demanding a trade to only Florida (really, Chicago and Toronto were insults).

Screwed the team by not retiring.

Etc.

i'm not going to argue these points - I agree to some degree (more moderately, but in general).

However I disagree with the bolded part.  I thank him for moving on - and have always liked Markstrom - was happy with that return (particularly including Matthias).

That was a far better return than what was generally rumoured (ie the Komisarek and 2nd type drivel floated out of Toronto...)

I liken it to the Kesler trade - sure Kesler hamstrung Benning (as did Luongo Gillis) - but in the end, both of those deals were good for this franchise - and moved players well beyond their prime / effectiveness, for good assets that still serve this franchise.

20 hours ago, oldnews said:

i'm not going to argue these points - I agree to some degree (more moderately, but in general).

However I disagree with the bolded part.  I thank him for moving on - and have always liked Markstrom - was happy with that return (particularly including Matthias).

That was a far better return than what was generally rumoured (ie the Komisarek and 2nd type drivel floated out of Toronto...)

I liken it to the Kesler trade - sure Kesler hamstrung Benning (as did Luongo Gillis) - but in the end, both of those deals were good for this franchise - and moved players well beyond their prime / effectiveness, for good assets that still serve this franchise.

Thanks for your considered response.

I was just ranting a bit because there seems to be a resurgence of support for Luongo and I feel balance is required.

Very little action on CDC these days; I guess we're all a little bit heartbroken.

Saw a clip of JB sitting by himself up near the cheap(er) seats looking despondent.

Feel for the guy; he's done so much good work to get the team ready for the playoffs.

Sad days; stay well.

• Thanks 1