The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All four Canadian political parties have applied for the Trudeau government's wage subsidy

Ryan Strome

41 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're marginalizing.  Black is a colour.  White is a colour.  Red is a colour.  Yellow is a colour.  We identify those colours with ethnicities in vulgar and rude ways.  I'm a First Nations member, I identify as a human being.  I don't think someone from America of any skin colour is anything but American.  But the moment you start applying colours to it, there is a fundamental issue no matter the argument.  We could argue this for days and never come to an agreement on it so let's skip the niceties and get to the meat of the argument

Again, while I do not agree with Trudeau in his use of "white" terminology in his statement I whole heartedly agree with his belief that people of caucasian descent who believe they are racially superior to others based on their heritage, not actions or merit is wrong and needs to be stamped out.

I also believe the same about marginalization of the LGBTQ community.

*on a side note, I am struggling to figure out how the hell a thread about political parties applying for wage assistance has lead to an anti abortion/old stock Canadians/ left v right debate again.  I think we all need hockey and we need some hockey soon or we're all going to go insane

How the hell is saying white is a race and black is a race marginalizing?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, You Mad Bro? said:

How the hell is saying white is a race and black is a race marginalizing?

its about what people do with those categories. "white" is utterly meaningless culturally and genetically, same with 'black". I'm from Russian descent, I have zero in common with some Brit. But if some 'white power' tool wants to lump us all together to hurt another browner group they don't like they try to use the idea as it suits them. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

So I read the first page and the last page.... I'm scared to read the pages in between.

I will say though (*sigh I guess I'm jumping into it when I don't want to) there is a reason for the term "rascism". Race does mean colour whether we want it to be or not. "Rascism" is derived from "race". Canadian is a nationality (unless if my actual university education was lying to me, I literally have had a course telling me this). I agree that humans are a species though.

But yeah... there's literally Geography courses taught in university that say nationalism comes in different parts: mainly 1) Are they within certain borders? and 2) Do they share a common culture. I'm not going to remember all of it but that's pretty much what the experts say in a nutshell.

Quick edit: To futher prove my point, just look at the wikipedia article on race: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_categorization) and nationalism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalism

Edited by The Lock

49 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its about what people do with those categories. "white" is utterly meaningless culturally and genetically, same with 'black". I'm from Russian descent, I have zero in common with some Brit. But if some 'white power' tool wants to lump us all together to hurt another browner group they don't like they try to use the idea as it suits them. 

You didn’t answer my question. You accused me of marginalizing , which means to treat someone as unimportant or insignificant, for saying white and black and Asian are different races. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sorry Jimmy. Got you and war hippy mixed up.