The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Perfect storm?

Rate this topic

Hogs & Podz

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Edit:  Back to Weber...he’s already 18th for goals...and hasn’t hit 1000 games yet.  

Yeah looking at that list it's kind of sad that nobody knows who Reed Larson or Kevin Hatcher or Steve Duchesne are now, all in the top 16.  I guess people might know Hatcher and Duchesne but Larson seems completely forgotten.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I would take our D in 2011 and 1994 over this group even with QH there. He is a huge building block for sure but we need 4 solid D players or at least 2 of QH quality to really be thought of as a contender.

In the 1982 playoffs, both Rick Lanz and Kevin McCarthy missed every game injured, but if they're in the lineup, then 1982 has those guys plus Garth Butcher, Harold Snepsts, Doug Halward and Lars Lindgren, plus Jiri Bubla, Neil Belland and Colin Campbell.  That's three guys with a 50 point season and three others who were all stars.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

49 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah looking at that list it's kind of sad that nobody knows who Reed Larson or Kevin Hatcher or Steve Duchesne are now, all in the top 16.  I guess people might know Hatcher and Duchesne but Larson seems completely forgotten.

Know what when I saw his name I was like wow forgot about him.  And then there was another guy from the 1920’s that was absolutely killing it for back then or any time (Hooley Smith - 4th all-time GPG)...   Hatcher had one boffo season that’s for sure -those brothers were a difficult pair to handle.  

Looking  at the all-time goals per game played ... wasn’t surprised to see Potvin number two all-time - for me he’s like the Gordie Howe of defense - the best all around D all-time.   The only guy I’ve seen in the last two decades control the game as well from the back end was two or three years of Pronger at the peak of his abilities.   Never watched Shore but imagine those two played a similar game.   Gretzky said the scariest player to him was Potvin...he’d go to the other side every time just to avoid him along the boards and from losing the puck.    One of the best ever.  

Weber GPG is 13th...one lower then Housley.   Very impressive shot - definitely one of the best of his generation.    Desjairdan was another guy from the Duschene/Hatcher days that could really make an impact.   Not a sexy pick but still very good.

Brad Park the famous bridesmaid to Orr and Potvin and Robinson even ... is way down the list at 23. 

Burns and Karlsson are neck and neck - right around where long bombers Al Ifrate and Rob Blake are - two guys that could fill the net and put you through the glass.   

Wilson at 10 makes you wonder why it took so long for the HHOF to come calling ... two above Housley and a murderers row of guys below him with great all-time shots.   

As a footnote was surprised to see Marty McSorely to make the list at 81...one spot behind Chirs Chelios..and 11 ahead of Seabrook, 13 ahead of Keith ...359 points in 961 games as one of the better enforcers in an era where quite a few could play the game is a pretty awesome career. 

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

Wilson at 10 makes you wonder why it took so long for the HHOF to come calling ... two above Housley and a murderers row of guys below him with great all-time shots.   

As a footnote was surprised to see Marty McSorely to make the list at 81...one spot behind Chirs Chelios..and 11 ahead of Seabrook, 13 ahead of Keith ...359 points in 961 games as one of the better enforcers in an era where quite a few could play the game is a pretty awesome career. 

Yeah, I've been calling for Wilson to get into the HOF on this site for over a decade.  Probably the best shot I've ever seen.  Took off Paul Cavallini's finger and I also remember him at the hardest shot competition at the All-Star Game when he was already old and on the Sharks.  The machine that registers the speed of the shot stopped working when it was Doug's turn, so he had to do something like eight shots in a row just to get one that was measured.  He was old and his arms were tired by the eighth shot but he was still close to the hardest shot of the day.

McSorley...  Like Brad McCrimmon (and Charlie Huddy) a somewhat forgotten winner of what used to be the Emery Edge Award for +/-.  Now McSorley is remembered for decapitating Donald Brashear and McCrimmon...I guess he's perhaps most remembered now for dying in the KHL plane crash as a coach, which is unfortunate because I have him pretty close to a Kevin Lowe level for the Hall of Fame.  McCrimmon was +86 one year and that wasn't even the year he led the league.

On 7/26/2020 at 7:52 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

In the 1982 playoffs, both Rick Lanz and Kevin McCarthy missed every game injured, but if they're in the lineup, then 1982 has those guys plus Garth Butcher, Harold Snepsts, Doug Halward and Lars Lindgren, plus Jiri Bubla, Neil Belland and Colin Campbell.  That's three guys with a 50 point season and three others who were all stars.

Agreed they lost probably their best two D. They also played well over their heads, got lights out goal tending from Brodeur and didnt play a team with a record above 500 until they ran into the Islanders. It was a fun ride while it lasted. I watched every game of that 82 playoffs.

Sometimes a team catches lightning in a bottle but not very often. I am cautiously optimistic as to our chances here in 2020.

The playoffs often come down to what teams you want to avoid in them. Recently we have not fared well against Vegas, Winnipeg and Dallas in the regular season, however we have a decent record against ST Louis, Nashville, Calgary, Edmonton,Colorado, Arizona, Minnesota and Chicago, where we at least equally match up in the regular season games.With no travel, no advantage to altitude,heat, distractions like Vegas, we should stand at least a 50-50 shot against everyone except Winnipeg and Vegas. Those two teams have strong goal tending. Nashville also has a rested Rinne. We also have a rested Markstrom. I like our chances against certain teams. We have good, not great depth everywhere but on D. It may as we have seen before, come down to who can stay healthy. Just imagine if we had not lost Hamhuis to injury in game 1 of the finals in 2011.

Anyways I am excited to see the boys get going. Id love to see us beat Minny in 3 or 4 and possibly get the oilers, or Colorado next. I think we can skate with them but have the superior Goalie.