The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] What happens if the AHL can't start up?

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

Just trying to figure out and speculate, what we do if the AHL needs to take a full season off. Its not inconceivable as they couldn't afford to run the end of this season on just TV. 

They are scheduled to start December 4th, but I highly doubt that this will be under control by then. If not, what do we do with young players who need playing time, while still being available for call ups.

Thoughts? 

8 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Just trying to figure out and speculate, what we do if the AHL needs to take a full season off. Its not inconceivable as they couldn't afford to run the end of this season on just TV. 

They are scheduled to start December 4th, but I highly doubt that this will be under control by then. If not, what do we do with young players who need playing time, while still being available for call ups.

Thoughts? 

Stating what should be obvious here.  Any pro sports in North America without a lucrative tv deal won't be able to operate.  The AHL is gate driven.  They won't be playing unless there is a vaccine. 

There are pro sports in Europe.  Many teams are loaning players.  Yesterday, Edmonton announced that they would be loaning Bouchard and Haas for an indefinite period

• Cheers 1

On 9/9/2020 at 12:18 AM, ba;;isticsports said:

Loui is going home to Europe then if no AHL? ;)

Europe solved covid?

Why would they go?

My thoughts exactly... I understand that Europeans have been loaned to leagues overseas... but Americans won’t be allowed to go, and why would Canadians want to leave a practical safe-haven compared to the alternatives ?!