The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(PROPOSAL) Here are my thoughts...

Obviously Markstrom is our guy moving forward. It's unbelievable to me how some Canuck fans, and even media members have switched over to thinking after three games in the playoffs where Demko stood on his head that he has earned the starter position. Did anyone else notice the type of hockey the Canucks needed to play just to try and stay competitive, and they still got out shot massively in trying to shelter Demko. What Demko has done is raised his asset status, as a team like Buffalo would love to get their hands on a young goalie with so much upside.Packaged with Stecher would land Ristolienen. Risto would be a perfect fit with Hughes.

If we pull such a move we would need to move both Sutter and Eriksson.

Sutter played well enough to validate the return on him being probably a 2nd round pick. A team like the Islanders would love a guy like him- A good 200' player that could move around the second and third line, kill penalties, and win faceoffs.

Eiksson is going to need a sweetener, and unfortunately I think J.B. in a round about way alluded to the time has come to come off Virtanen. I love this player and the potential he has. He almost scored 20 goals in a shorten season, mostly on the third line, and at even strength. A team like Detroit seems to me to be the very best fit for this type of move. Detroit ships us a 5th rounder. We probably have to add a 3 rounder in 2021.

We now have room to sign Toffoli, and Tanev as well. Thoughts...

26 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

Obviously Markstrom is our guy moving forward. It's unbelievable to me how some Canuck fans, and even media members have switched over to thinking after three games in the playoffs where Demko stood on his head that he has earned the starter position.

Obvious?  He's UFA and can sign anywhere that's willing to pay him.  If someone makes him an offer he can't refuse, then Demko would be our starter, wouldn't he?

I’m liking your train of thought except I’m not a big Risto fan.  

And a little confused - are you suggesting that JV is worth a 5th?  Hmm think that’s off.  Or are suggesting he’s attached to LE and that’s the exchange. Maybe be a little clearer with your proposal. 

Also Risto isn’t on much term.   Personally think that we could get what Risto offers and more from Shattenkirk for free and upgrade Stecher.   Also if we trade Demko we need to spend 2 million more in cap space to find a good proven back-up.

This is why I doubt Demko will get traded before the ED if we and when JM is signed.   We can’t afford to spend 9-10 (yet) on our goalies.   JB will expose JM at the expansion draft - or JM will take at least 1 million less in salary for a NMC.   Goalies and centres are  our strengths ATM and think JB will double down on that.  

Edited by IBatch

10 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Obvious?  He's UFA and can sign anywhere that's willing to pay him.  If someone makes him an offer he can't refuse, then Demko would be our starter, wouldn't he?

JB made it pretty clear he’s signing JM.  JM made it clear he wants to stay.  I’d say that’s pretty obvious.  At this point he’s not gone to market yet either. 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

JB made it pretty clear he’s signing JM.  JM made it clear he wants to stay.  I’d say that’s pretty obvious.  At this point he’s not gone to market yet either. 

They always say those kinds of things.  There's no guarantee he's going to sign here.  With the flat cap, cap recapture and albatross contracts, JB just might not be able to afford him.

I would love to see Markstrom back, but am prepared that it might not happen.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I’m liking your train of thought except I’m not a big Risto fan.  

And a little confused - are you suggesting that JV is worth a 5th?  Hmm think that’s off.  Or are suggesting he’s attached to LE and that’s the exchange. Maybe be a little clearer with your proposal. 

Also Risto isn’t on much term.   Personally think that we could get what Risto offers and more from Shattenkirk for free and upgrade Stecher.   Also if we trade Demko we need to spend 2 million more in cap space to find a good proven back-up.

This is why I doubt Demko will get traded before the ED if we and when JM is signed.   We can’t afford to spend 9-10 (yet) on our goalies.   JB will expose JM at the expansion draft - or JM will take at least 1 million less in salary for a NMC.   Goalies and centres are  our strengths ATM and think JB will double down on that.  

No I'm saying Virtanen is the sweetener (packaged with L.E.) 

Risto is on the perfect term, 2 years @5.4 mil. I think he would excel with Hughes as a pairing. He's 25 years old, 6'4" 225 lbs, skates very well, hits like a freight train, massive shot, stays healthy, and can log a tonne of minutes.To be honest, paired with Hughes he'll take a big step forward and probably be an all star. I liken him to a young M. Ohlund.

As far as JM, he is looking for a deal here in Vancouver that gives him expansion protection and I'm fine with that. 4 years at 6.25 mil per year with a NMC is completely reasonable. This deal will probably feel like a steal when he's in the running for a Vezina for the course of the deal. He also, allows the Canucks to play a certain style of offense which supports our strengths, which is our forward group and Hughes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

You're forgetting one thing, and that is Ian Clarke (goal tending coach), he's a massive part to Marky's success and Marky knows that. 

7 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

You're forgetting one thing, and that is Ian Clarke (goal tending coach), he's a massive part to Marky's success and Marky knows that. 

Sure.  I'm just saying it's not a slam dunk and that makes it hard to make other plans.  I think this has to be the first thing for JB to check off his list.

Just idiling away waiting for more news

My plan for the almost worst case scenario;

Let ALL the FA's walk

Trade Boeser and a 2nd rnd pick for Wilds 2020 #1 pick (#9) and Greenway - use for Iaroslav Askarov

Qualify RFA's

Sign and trade, package Stecher with Beagle or Pearson with Eriksson with big retention

Make trades at TDL, clause contracts with retention

My plan would be to create as much cap space and expansion protection spots as possible.

One season at least of preparing for an extended run of being a playoff team and contender with a plan for future contracts in a flat cap world, at least a 3 year plan.

Gather as many picks as possible

Play as many prospects as possible in one or two seasons just get a handle on the cap and to see where these players fit.

Tell all the fans we want to make the playoffs but not really, it would one or two dedicated rebuild seasons.

Hopefully in two years a core of Hughes, Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette, Miller, Poldkozin, Holander, Tryamkin and a couple of picks

Get the cap down spent down under 75 mil

Get the avg age down to 27 yrs or so

Get the team bigger overall

Add to the goalie depth with a draft pick.