The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 games against Ott not as easy as it might look

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

31 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Not entirely sure what context "putting this in perspective" you mean by. But I interpret this infographic as a pandemic that even with all the advancements of modern medicine is still crippling the world and killing millions and millions of people. So I entirely agree that this shows how incredibly dangerous and serious covid is.

Lmfao buddy. If you think Covid is devastating based off this graph, then what would you call the other pandemics at the top? Keep in mind that not only is the death toll infinitely higher and into the hundreds of millions, but they were during a time where I don't believe our entire human population was even a billion? And we had no air travel or car travel. Think about that. If you think Covid is disruptive, what do you think those pandemics were like? Do you think 20-30% of the world dying brutally now would be more or less disruptive then covid? 

Anyways, it's a good graph it does put things in perspective. We are really lucky to be alive right now and people should think about that more. 

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

There is no vaccine for plague at all. some which have been found to have some impact on pneumonic plague is completely useless against bubonic which is the most common form in the USA

• Bubonic plague is fatal in about 50-70% of untreated cases, but perhaps 10-15% when treated.
  • Septicaemic plague is almost 100% fatal, and perhaps 40% with treatment.
  • Pneumonic plague is 100% fatal, regardless of treatment.

Its not something to be sniffed at and it can pass directly between humans in the pneumonic form as well rather than just from cats or fleas or squirrels etc to humans.

a major outbreak in Madagascar was concerning because it had become resistant to antibiotics. 

Interesting, I guess its antibiotics that has reduced the prevalence then. (And better hygiene) Luckily they aren't ravaging the world like they did a long time ago 

6 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

And the black death killed around 75 million in a time with less travel. (Understatement) I stand by what I said. If anyone is foolish enough to compare it to the plague, which literally killed 40% of Europe alone, they are absolutely fear mongering and I'm sick of it. Absolutely no one should be spreading "misinformation" by even remotely claiming they are in any way similar or the scope is comparable whatsoever. You are historically & factually 100% wrong. I'm not saying it isn't serious, but to compare the two is ridiculous. The only thing they have in common is the word "pandemic" 

thank god we dont have that deadly disease circulating. But, lets not underestimate how contagious covid-19 is, the fact is that covid may have kiiled just as many because of the fact it has a low mortality rate. it would spread and mutate unchecked. how deadly a disease is not indicative of how much damage it does.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

thank god we dont have that deadly disease circulating. But, lets not underestimate how contagious covid-19 is, the fact is that covid may have kiiled just as many because of the fact it has a low mortality rate. it would spread and mutate unchecked. how deadly a disease is not indicative of how much damage it does.

These are fair points ya. Still would of course have a lower mortality rate, but yes covid is of course still deadly. I'm not meaning to dispute that. 

Anyways I feel bad now lol this is not what the thread is about so I'm gonna shut up :lol:

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

These are fair points ya. Still would of course have a lower mortality rate, but yes covid is of course still deadly. I'm not meaning to dispute that. 

Anyways I feel bad now lol this is not what the thread is about so I'm gonna shut up :lol:

sorry, i should have stayed out of it.

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

That's not really true. The 1918 Flu, which was the grandaddy of all H1N1 viruses was deadly, and killed upwards of 50,000,000 people, with some estimates over 100 million people. The virus caused a cytokine storm which made it especially deadly to young adults. Cykotine storm syndrome occurs when a group of medical conditions produced by the immune system causes too many inflammatory signals leading to organ failure and death. 

Covid is causing some cykotine storm syndromes, but not at the level of 1918. Certainly, they're were extraneous factors such as overcrowding in hospitals, and malnutrition due to the WWI occuring in the same decade, but the virus itself was a more virulent and dangerous one than what is occurring now.

Although the 1918 virus became much more lethal during the second wave due to mutation. I am hopeful that this doesn't follow that path as that would lead to a loss of life that the world has never known.

54 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

And the black death killed around 75 million in a time with less travel. (Understatement) I stand by what I said. If anyone is foolish enough to compare it to the plague, which literally killed 40% of Europe alone, they are absolutely fear mongering and I'm sick of it. Absolutely no one should be spreading "misinformation" by even remotely claiming they are in any way similar or the scope is comparable whatsoever. You are historically & factually 100% wrong. I'm not saying it isn't serious, but to compare the two is ridiculous. The only thing they have in common is the word "pandemic" 

We have fundamentally different opinions on the subject. But working in healthcare I'm entirely comfortable standing behind my opinion on the subject. I don't care about your background frankly, but I'm confident you would stand behind yours. 

So far you are the only one who has compared the 2. I have never once brought up the black plague, but you did. I even clearly outlined the facts around what I was saying, which you seemed to ignore. None of what I said is information except maybe the literal meaning of the word plague, which I was using correctly in a figurative context regardless. Nothing I have said is  " historically & factually 100% wrong" which means so far the only miss information spread on the subject is yours. There have been, and will be many more plagues. So far you seemed to demonstrate knowledge of a single event in 1350 and simply based on the word have connected the 2 needlessly. 

I'll stand behind what I said. If anyone viewed my post as "fear mongering" they are currently grossly miss informed about covid.

Edited by shayster007

4 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

We have fundamentally different opinions on the subject. But working in healthcare I'm entirely comfortable standing behind my opinion on the subject. I don't care about your background frankly, but I'm confident you would stand behind yours. 

So far you are the only one who has compared the 2. I have never once brought up the black plague, but you did. I even clearly outlined the facts around what I was saying, which you seemed to ignore. None of what I said is information except maybe the literal meaning of the word plague, which I was using correctly in a figurative context regardless. Nothing I have said is  " historically & factually 100% wrong" which means so far the only miss information spread on the subject is yours. There have been, and will be many more plagues. So far you seemed to demonstrate knowledge of a single event in 1350 and simply based on the word have connected the 2 needlessly. 

I'll stand behind what I said. If anyone viewed my post as "fear mongering" they are currently grossly miss informed about covid.

I suppose I only had issue with calling it a plague, which although as you have demonstrated is technically accurate, has historical implications that covid probably doesn't quite deserve. Anyways, we clearly disagree for the most part so let's drop it. 

Just now, cdgraham said:

I suppose I only had issue with calling it a plague, which although as you have demonstrated is technically accurate, has historical implications that covid probably doesn't quite deserve. Anyways, we clearly disagree for the most part so let's drop it. 

gladly

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's not really true. The 1918 Flu, which was the grandaddy of all H1N1 viruses was deadly, and killed upwards of 50,000,000 people, with some estimates over 100 million people. The virus caused a cytokine storm which made it especially deadly to young adults. Cykotine storm syndrome occurs when a group of medical conditions produced by the immune system causes too many inflammatory signals leading to organ failure and death. 

Covid is causing some cykotine storm syndromes, but not at the level of 1918. Certainly, they're were extraneous factors such as overcrowding in hospitals, and malnutrition due to the WWI occuring in the same decade, but the virus itself was a more virulent and dangerous one than what is occurring now.

Although the 1918 virus became much more lethal during the second wave due to mutation. I am hopeful that this doesn't follow that path as that would lead to a loss of life that the world has never known.

what I meant to say is if a disease is very deadly and kills fast its unlikely it will become successful. where as a disease like hiv if was born in the 13th century................................ you know what im saying now?

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

what I meant to say is if a disease is very deadly and kills fast its unlikely it will become successful. where as a disease like hiv if was born in the 13th century................................ you know what im saying now?

If it kills off it's hosts before they have a chance to spread it, sure.