The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

what about making a safe bet for a RHD? If we're looking for a reliable Hughes partner maybe this kid fits the bill. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-chesley-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

I would really like it if Allvin could get another 1st (even later), to draft this player. I think Chesley will still be around in the 2nd, but of course, Canucks don't have a 2nd.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would really like it if Allvin could get another 1st (even later), to draft this player. I think Chesley will still be around in the 2nd, but of course, Canucks don't have a 2nd.

if all the bigger C's are gone by 13 or 14 then I'm fine with a reach for a RHD. 

If we somehow end up getting a 2nd round pick back it'll feel like winning the lotto :lol:

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if all the bigger C's are gone by 13 or 14 then I'm fine with a reach for a RHD. 

If we somehow end up getting a 2nd round pick back it'll feel like winning the lotto :lol:

Taking Chesley at #13 or #14 could be a risk, but he could also turn out to be a very good defensive Dman. I believe he was ranked at #14 at one point last year, but dropped since, to #19, the #23, and now out of the 1st Round.  Any idea why?  Was there an injury? 

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Taking Chesley at #13 or #14 could be a risk, but he could also turn out to be a very good defensive Dman. I believe he was ranked at #14 at one point last year, but dropped since, to #19, the #23, and now out of the 1st Round.  Any idea why?  Was there an injury? 

from the article it sounds like the drop is due to a lack of offence. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

from the article it sounds like the drop is due to a lack of offence. 

Chesley at 13 or 14 would be a brutal pick. I saw a fair amount of this NTDP from pretty early on, and I've always seen Chesley as a fringe 1st rounder. He was ranked very high by some services early on in large part because of his impressive offensive numbers with the U17 team. He's a good skater and smart player, good first pass and ok on the PP, but I haven't seen much offensive talent. He put up big numbers with the U17s mostly just by virtue of playing big minutes and moving the puck up to the plethora of highly skilled forwards on that team.

Reminds me of Justin Barron from a couple drafts ago. Probably will be a fine 4/5 defenseman, and some team will likely take him late first round and be satisfied. If Canucks are picking around 15, there's much better options, even for RHD. Tristan Luneau is vastly superior and might still be available around 15. Beyond that, none of the following would be a good pick at 15, but if we trade back I'd rather take a chance on a big upside wildcard like Lammoureux or Salomonsson than take a bland safe pick like Chesley.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Chesley at 13 or 14 would be a brutal pick. I saw a fair amount of this NTDP from pretty early on, and I've always seen Chesley as a fringe 1st rounder. He was ranked very high by some services early on in large part because of his impressive offensive numbers with the U17 team. He's a good skater and smart player, good first pass and ok on the PP, but I haven't seen much offensive talent. He put up big numbers with the U17s mostly just by virtue of playing big minutes and moving the puck up to the plethora of highly skilled forwards on that team.

Reminds me of Justin Barron from a couple drafts ago. Probably will be a fine 4/5 defenseman, and some team will likely take him late first round and be satisfied. If Canucks are picking around 15, there's much better options, even for RHD. Tristan Luneau is vastly superior and might still be available around 15. Beyond that, none of the following would be a good pick at 15, but if we trade back I'd rather take a chance on a big upside wildcard like Lammoureux or Salomonsson than take a bland safe pick like Chesley.

What about Sam Rinzel?  6'4" RD

I notice he rose up the ranks a bit, a late 1st rounder?

I have to do my research on the prospects, now that the Canucks are headed to the lottery (sounds better than saying missing the playoffs)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

OK I like your opinions on players so thats good to know. How long do you think Luneau would need to spend in the Q before being able to to come up?

I see he's ranked in the same neighbourhood as where Chesley is so curious what you see as the main differences. 

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just noticed Joshua Niedermayer, LD, son of Scott.  6'0" 200 lbs.  Not sure where he's ranked, but he's already got size, and that pedigree alone is worth taking him at some point.

Has a couple of older brothers who haven't amount to much. Joshua's numbers aren't impressive either.

Interesting to note that he's playing on the Penticton Vees along with Joe Nieuwendyk and Mike Richter's sons and brother of Tucker and Colton Poolman.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

What about Sam Rinzel?  6'4" RD

I notice he rose up the ranks a bit, a late 1st rounder?

I have to do my research on the prospects, now that the Canucks are headed to the lottery (sounds better than saying missing the playoffs)

No idea. I know nothing about Sam Rinzel. Only just started hearing the name a bunch lately. Seems intriguing.

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

OK I like your opinions on players so thats good to know. How long do you think Luneau would need to spend in the Q before being able to to come up?

I see he's ranked in the same neighbourhood as where Chesley is so curious what you see as the main differences. 

Not sure how long Luneau might take. At least one more year of junior for sure. A conservative estimate would be two years of junior and a year of AHL, but my guess would be two years of junior then straight to the NHL or just a short AHL stint.

Some similar rankings across various platforms, but Chesley is trending down and Luneau is trending up. Lane Hutson and Seamus Casey seem to have taken a firm hold on top PP duties for NTDP over Chesley. On the other hand, Luneau has been hot offensively after a slow start. They're kinda similar players I guess, but Luneau is a couple inches taller for starters, which will have a significant impact on their ability to be shutdown defensive defenseman at the NHL level. Both defense-first defensemen, but Luneau is more dynamic and deceptive on the breakout, and more confident skating with the puck. Chesley seems more likely to make the simple play on the breakout, passing or chipping it out. Makes some good clean long breakout passes to be sure, but Luneau sees and thinks the game on a different level through the hotzone, lures forecheckers in by slowing things down or making it look like he's skating himself into a corner, then using sudden change of speed or direction to create openings.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

No idea. I know nothing about Sam Rinzel. Only just started hearing the name a bunch lately. Seems intriguing.

Not sure how long Luneau might take. At least one more year of junior for sure. A conservative estimate would be two years of junior and a year of AHL, but my guess would be two years of junior then straight to the NHL or just a short AHL stint.

Some similar rankings across various platforms, but Chesley is trending down and Luneau is trending up. Lane Hutson and Seamus Casey seem to have taken a firm hold on top PP duties for NTDP over Chesley. On the other hand, Luneau has been hot offensively after a slow start. They're kinda similar players I guess, but Luneau is a couple inches taller for starters, which will have a significant impact on their ability to be shutdown defensive defenseman at the NHL level. Both defense-first defensemen, but Luneau is more dynamic and deceptive on the breakout, and more confident skating with the puck. Chesley seems more likely to make the simple play on the breakout, passing or chipping it out. Makes some good clean long breakout passes to be sure, but Luneau sees and thinks the game on a different level through the hotzone, lures forecheckers in by slowing things down or making it look like he's skating himself into a corner, then using sudden change of speed or direction to create openings.

thats for that, will start looking up more info on Luneau. 

Was first thinking: Canucks have some key guys out now, an impossible mountain to climb to get into the playoffs now, they might get into the Top 10 at the Draft.

But after last night's game, without those key guys, dominated Vegas in their building. This was a huge game for the Knights, they needed that win.  Demko was so awesome. So, it got me re-thinking: Wouldn't that be a Canucks thing to do, win games down the stretch to push them back on Draft Day. 

Maybe instead of Top 10, say they draft at #15.  Any chance Yurov or Miroshnichenko falls to VAN and they select one?  I know they were both ranked higher last year (but being Russian...)

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Yurov

or 

Miroshnichenko - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Could be good one day

VAN does need D, but unless they're getting into the Top 10 and can somehow get a RD: Jiricek or Nemec, 

Korchinksi, Pickering, Mateychuk - all LDs

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Was first thinking: Canucks have some key guys out now, an impossible mountain to climb to get into the playoffs now, they might get into the Top 10 at the Draft.

But after last night's game, without those key guys, dominated Vegas in their building. This was a huge game for the Knights, they needed that win.  Demko was so awesome. So, it got me re-thinking: Wouldn't that be a Canucks thing to do, win games down the stretch to push them back on Draft Day. 

Maybe instead of Top 10, say they draft at #15.  Any chance Yurov or Miroshnichenko falls to VAN and they select one?  I know they were both ranked higher last year (but being Russian...)

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Yurov

or 

Miroshnichenko - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Could be good one day

VAN does need D, but unless they're getting into the Top 10 and can somehow get a RD: Jiricek or Nemec, 

Korchinksi, Pickering, Mateychuk - all LDs

not sure we could actually drop that far anyway to make it to 10. I think we're pretty much locked into 14-16 at this point. Hoping for 17 :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Wasn’t this guy rated top 3 earlier in the season? 

What’s happened to him that his stock has dropped that far?

Yeah, for sure, I have been keeping an eye on one list all year (MyNHLDraft), and in August, Miro was ranked #2.  Now he's at #31 on that list.  I'm not sure why the drop.

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, for sure, I have been keeping an eye on one list all year (MyNHLDraft), and in August, Miro was ranked #2.  Now he's at #31 on that list.  I'm not sure why the drop.

Wow. If we could get another 1st or 2nd, I’d take him on. But there are obviously red flags for someone who was ranked #2 and then dropping to the second round.