The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada's New Governor General

Ilunga

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I have no actual statement on this knowing the GG is almost entirely ceremonial and just a voice without power.

Want me to believe you care, give us fresh water.  Give us hospitals.  Abolish the indian act.

Our Government's have yet so sign a treaty with our first nations people.

They have yet to address the Uluru statement from the heart,first nations people campaigning for a voice in our government.

I know our first nations people and many Australians like myself would be stoked if our GG though symbolic was a first nations person and a woman.

There's a symbol for you.

Symbols are important they give people something to strive for,especially for minorities,and especially for persecuted minorities.

Like you have stated I hope she does make make a difference in real positive ways.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

she does have a powerful stage though. 

I can understand why people would be skeptical. I do think given her experience in Nunavut there's reason for optimism here. 

One of our best songwriters,Paul Kelly wrote this about our first nations peoples struggles.

I can totally understand and emphasise with Hippy's disillusionment.

Not much has changed here as well.

But like the song states 

if you keep fighting change,while slow will happen.

• Vintage 2

Just now, Ilunga said:

One of our best songwriters,Paul Kelly wrote this about our first nations peoples struggles.

I can totally understand and emphasise with Hippy's disillusionment.

Not much has changed here as well.

But like the song states 

if you keep fighting change,while slow will happen.

Hippy comes by it honestly. 

But people in positions of power, who are real creators and/or facilitators think about the potential, not the failures. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hippy comes by it honestly. 

But people in positions of power, who are real creators and/or facilitators think about the potential, not the failures. 

I know he does.

I have read his story.

Listen to the song it is a true story about a poor first nations person who stood up to the rich and powerful and won.

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Oh I know that it needs to be filled. I'm hoping the day comes when Canada grows enough courage to leave the Commonwealth. 

We go through this BS every decade or so.

Republic or monarchy.

Turd sandwich or  a giant dueche.

As far as I am concerned they all suck.

In this case the point is that while there has to a GG or President I take heart that it is a first nations person filling that role in your country.

Our first nations people can only fantasise about something like this happening.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, its just too easy to take this position. People that actually do things don't think this way. 

I think it is true.. why else was she suddenly picked now and not say 5-10 years ago? 

How about this we chat on this subject after her tenure and see if boil water advisories are gone? 

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

We go through this BS every decade or so.

Republic or monarchy.

Turd sandwich or  a giant dueche.

As far as I am concerned they all suck.

In this case the point is that while there has to a GG or President I take heart that it is a first nations person filling that role in your country.

Our first nations people can only fantasise about something like this happening.

IMO the only way and the right way.. 

Monarchy is just an outdated cash cow that has no place in modern politics or affairs. 

I predict we will see the rise of republic movements across the commonwealth after William and Kate. 

2 hours ago, drummer4now said:

IMO the only way and the right way.. 

Monarchy is just an outdated cash cow that has no place in modern politics or affairs. 

I predict we will see the rise of republic movements across the commonwealth after William and Kate. 

I can guarantee that if you install a president that's just another dueche bag figurehead you have to pay.

And the attendant bureaucracy.

I too dislike the monarchy and what they represent but I like the benefits of being in the Commonwealth.

The bond we share between your society and mine,and the Scots and the English, Welsh,India NewZealand, Pakistan,Grenada Kenya I could go on.

Hey maybe you could have Rob Carbone as your President,leader of the Republican movement in Canada and a supporter of Trump.

Make you feel proud to be a Canadian...EH 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7a8y9/anti-maskers-are-attempting-to-make-the-republican-party-a-thing-in-canada-for-rob-carbone

11 hours ago, drummer4now said:

I think it is true.. why else was she suddenly picked now and not say 5-10 years ago? 

How about this we chat on this subject after her tenure and see if boil water advisories are gone? 

why not earlier? good question. Harper did have her on a short list.

The boil water advisory issue is slowly being solved, its talking longer than Trudeau promised but it appears to be on tract for 2025 to have them all lifted. 

• Cheers 1