The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) - Schmidt and Holtby to Vegas

To Vegas

Schmidt and Holtby  10.25 mil

To Vancouver

Roy, Fleury, Korczak  7.725 mil.

They get their guy back to round out their top 4.  He will help them win games in hockey and softball. They get a much cheaper backup goalie that has won a cup.

We get big, young 4th line center.  Great backup goalie/trade chip now or at the deadline.  RHD prospect.  Cap space(if we had to retain 1 mil on Holtby, it would still work) .

I think both teams address needs and are better?

Schmidt is redundant.  They are re-signing Martinez and can keep the same top-4 D as last season - Martinez-Pietrangelo / McNabb-Theodore.  They have other holes to fill and not a lot of cap space.  They also traded him away because they wanted to upgrade with Pietrangelo.

Edited by mll

17 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

To Vegas

Schmidt and Holtby  10.25 mil

To Vancouver

Roy, Fleury, Korczak  7.725 mil.

They get their guy back to round out their top 4.  He will help them win games in hockey and softball. They get a much cheaper backup goalie that has won a cup.

We get big, young 4th line center.  Great backup goalie/trade chip now or at the deadline.  RHD prospect.  Cap space(if we had to retain 1 mil on Holtby, it would still work) .

I think both teams address needs and are better?

Fleury's gone and Holtby is being bought out.  So, I withdraw my proposal!

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Holtby will be bought out today. This is not going to happen. I can't see Vegas adding Holtby once he was bought out ,because they want to win now. You can't win now with one of the worst back- up goalies in the league.

IMHO, he's not one of the worst backup goalies but still pretty mediocre.  That in itself wouldn't be bad if he didn't come with a 4+ million cap hit (his $5.5+ million salary less so).  You sign a depth defensemen (important for a long NHL season) and a cheap backup goalie who will be comparable to a goalie putting up subpar 0.900 save percentage.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan