The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres sign Mark Pysyk

Just now, Josepho said:

This makes the Poolman signing look substantially worse.

Poolman is much bigger and more aggressive. Those two traits are why Pysyk was moved to RW because he couldn’t be consistent enough in defending his own zone when not rushing the puck. For a big, shutdown,  physical D-man as well; Poolman had 16 points in 57 games only one year ago on a sub-par, all over the map, always changing Jets blueline. Clearly he has some smarts as well. Benning said upwards of 12 other teams were after Poolman so that’s why we had to pay to out-bid. That’s almost half the league with Vancouver included that went after him. I highly doubt 13 teams were scrambling to get Mark Pysyk…

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, ZH96 said:

Poolman is much bigger and more aggressive. Lacking those two traits are why Pysyk was moved to RW because he couldn’t be consistent enough in defending his own zone when not rushing the puck. For a big, shutdown,  physical D-man as well; Poolman had 16 points in 57 games only one year ago on a sub-par, all over the map, always changing Jets blueline. Clearly he has some smarts as well. Benning said upwards of 12 other teams were after Poolman so that’s why we had to pay to out-bid. That’s almost half the league with Vancouver included that went after him. I highly doubt 13 teams were scrambling to get Mark Pysyk

1 minute ago, ZH96 said:

Poolman is much bigger and more aggressive. Those two traits are why Pysyk was moved to RW because he couldn’t be consistent enough in defending his own zone when not rushing the puck. For a big, shutdown,  physical D-man as well; Poolman had 16 points in 57 games only one year ago on a sub-par, all over the map, always changing Jets blueline. Clearly he has some smarts as well. Benning said upwards of 12 other teams were after Poolman so that’s why we had to pay to out-bid. That’s almost half the league with Vancouver included that went after him. I highly doubt 13 teams were scrambling to get Mark Pysyk…

Great points. Some of these posters are probably chomping at the bit waiting for other defensemen signings, merely so they can compare (without context) the contracts. It's sad.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

If you think being bigger and more aggressive warrants the massive difference in contract size, I simply disagree with your valu system.

2 hours ago, Josepho said:

If you think being bigger and more aggressive warrants the massive difference in contract size, I simply disagree with your valu system.

Tell that to all the other teams that had to give up a lot for a big, physical, right hand D. In trade and signing/re-signing..

IE: The Oilers trading Taylor Hall to get 

Adam Larsson,  the Rangers re-signing

Jacob Trouba for $8 Mil per year, Boston re-signing Brandon Carlo for over $4 Mil per year(who’s never even scored 20 points and is riddled with injuries),   Chicagos trade package to get Seth Jones and then signing him for $9.5 Mil,   The Jets paying Dylan DeMelo $3 Mil per year,   The Capitals paying Nick Jensen $3 Mil per year,   and the Maple Leafs paying Justin Holl $2 Mil per year… the last three RHD I just listed all average 15-20 points per season and aren’t overwhelmingly mobile or have overly quick feet. As I said before as well.. Tucker Poolman had 16 points in 57 games only one year ago while playing on a mess of a Jets blueline. He has some smarts.