The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How good is the Canucks D now?

Rate this topic

NHL97OneTimer

On 10/11/2021 at 10:17 AM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

A dman like Cernak from Tampa would have been soo good for this team. Yes they don’t come around often and you have to develop them. We really don’t have any of those type of dman in our system. I don’t know how they will fix this issue. They may have to wait for a team to start out poorly and try to pounce on them in a trade. It really is  something that looks rather bleak to fix at this point.

Cernak was a nobody until Tampa got hold of him....

On 10/10/2021 at 5:16 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

Our D just got a whole lot better with the TERMINATION OF YO-LEVI !  That guy was one of the worst 1st round picks since Lazy Jake "The Ripper".   Uncle Jim just doesn't know what to do with 1st round picks, either gives them away or makes terrible decisions half the time and some think he's a genious?  OMG -

If the trend continues - JB will be trading away the 1st round picks as his only asset that has any real values for any cap or personel issues.  Better get used to hyped up late round picks outperforming there draft pedigree.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

If the trend continues - JB will be trading away the 1st round picks as his only asset that has any real values for any cap or personel issues.  Better get used to hyped up late round picks outperforming there draft pedigree.

wouldn't be surprised since he's now under "win-now" mode. If he doesn't win, or ice as competitive a team as possible, then he risks losing Pettersson in about 3 years time. And this franchise would be set back several years. Need to start icing a winner, so that players start to take "discounts" to want to play and win with the Canucks. 

49 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

wouldn't be surprised since he's now under "win-now" mode. If he doesn't win, or ice as competitive a team as possible, then he risks losing Pettersson in about 3 years time. And this franchise would be set back several years. Need to start icing a winner, so that players start to take "discounts" to want to play and win with the Canucks. 

Ditto - choosing to go with this core was the right move but the lack of cheap but talented prospects to mitigate the high salaried players is quite troublesome. Even the complementary players are getting paid; I wonder who comes after Podz - a bunch of tweeners ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

34 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Ditto - choosing to go with this core was the right move but the lack of cheap but talented prospects to mitigate the high salaried players is quite troublesome. Even the complementary players are getting paid; I wonder who comes after Podz - a bunch of tweeners ?

Danila Klimovich

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Well, this is where I think Benning needs to earn his money. His drafting comes into play here, because they need to be even shrewder than ever with the picks that they have to compliment and supplement the core moving forward. Kind of what Chicago did with Kane and Toews. They can't keep signing big ticket free agents to the team - eventually they won't have enough money. And they need to be smart about where they're spending their money, something this management team hasn't been known for - ahem - Benning. 

On 10/10/2021 at 9:21 PM, Rindiculous said:

As most people say if you have two pairings you trust, you can cover up the third pairing.  But even then Rathbone could be really good and we have some serviceable replacement level guys on the right side.

The concerning thing though is that D always get injured, so depth is huge.  With Hamonic out and Juolevi not making that next step forward, the depth is quickly exposed.  Can Rathbone, Hunt and Schenn hold the fort?  Unfortunately the season is likely to hang in the balance of that question as much as any other.  I don't know the guys we got for Juolevi at all, but I'm not expecting much from the media reaction. 

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

He seems to be all hype right now; and on paper he looks like a prospect with a high ceiling.  Seems like a project right now

don't mind Klimovich honestly. I'm glad he'll be in Abby. He'll get pro experience, that's only going to be good for the young man and his confidence. My fear if he was going to juniors is that he would dominate, and develop bad habits because he could get away with the small stuff. In the AHL, he'll be playing against men with pro experience. It won't be so "easy" for him. Now, if he dominates the AHL, well, wouldn't that be something!

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

The concerning thing though is that D always get injured, so depth is huge.  With Hamonic out and Juolevi not making that next step forward, the depth is quickly exposed.  Can Rathbone, Hunt and Schenn hold the fort?  Unfortunately the season is likely to hang in the balance of that question as much as any other.  I don't know the guys we got for Juolevi at all, but I'm not expecting much from the media reaction. 

Yea. I'm not convinced when I read "Rathbone, Hunt and Schenn" - reading this gave me heart palpitations.

• Cheers 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Well, this is where I think Benning needs to earn his money. His drafting comes into play here, because they need to be even shrewder than ever with the picks that they have to compliment and supplement the core moving forward. Kind of what Chicago did with Kane and Toews. They can't keep signing big ticket free agents to the team - eventually they won't have enough money. And they need to be smart about where they're spending their money, something this management team hasn't been known for - ahem - Benning. 

Losing Lind and Gadj means a couple of assets that could have been useful for a serviceable D.  If Hamonic doesn't return quickly, JB will have to fill the gap this season and that could mean throwing away more assets.  It will look like poor GM work on paper, but I feel for JB.  The Juolevi draft was a bit questionable but not ridiculous.  At some point it's up to the player and in Juolevi's case I feel like that was it.  JB couldn't have traded Juolevi earlier neither due to injuries.  Finally,  the Hamonic situation is out of JB's hands and wasn't foreseen at the time of signing.  Sometimes a GM is just snake bitten at times and on D it sure feels like it right now.

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

don't mind Klimovich honestly. I'm glad he'll be in Abby. He'll get pro experience, that's only going to be good for the young man and his confidence. My fear if he was going to juniors is that he would dominate, and develop bad habits because he could get away with the small stuff. In the AHL, he'll be playing against men with pro experience. It won't be so "easy" for him. Now, if he dominates the AHL, well, wouldn't that be something!

Is it confirmed that he's staying in the AHL?  Last I read the decision hadn't been made because they don't want him to struggle in a microscope environment (so close to Vancouver).  The Q with another language to deal with is not ideal, nor is being on the other side of the country.  I hope he stays in Abby.  He looked like he'd belong there even if he needed 2-3 years to work on his defensive game.