The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How good is the Canucks D now?

Rate this topic

NHL97OneTimer

We all know the Canucks can put the puck in the net, but the key to winning a cup is usually built around a solid defence and goaltending.  Not wanting to start a "flame TSN" thread, but a recent TSN article released suggests that the Canucks have the worst defense in Canadian teams this year with a grade C attributed to them:

https://www.tsn.ca/grading-the-defencemen-on-canada-s-nhl-teams-1.1691570

I disagree.  I think the defence looks better and deeper than recent years and is arguably better than a number of Canadian teams.  Granted a lot will depend on how well OEL plays because this will help define how well players like QH and TM can excel in more optimal roles.  In order for the Canucks to be contenders, they badly need at least a top 10 D in the league and I don't think they're there yet, but the course is being corrected.  

What do you think?  Is the D improved enough to bump up the win column this year or is TSN bang on?

• Cheers 2

OEL, Poolman, Rathbone, Schenn are all new. Will depend on how the season progresses and how well we are coached but slapping together a D core half of them new to the team is hardly solid. We just lost our blueline anchor for the past decade - Edler; that's probably bigger than most people imagine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

OEL, Poolman, Rathbone, Schenn are all new. Will depend on how the season progresses and how well we are coached but slapping together a D core half of them new to the team is hardly solid. We just lost our blueline anchor for the past decade - Edler; that's probably bigger than most people imagine. 

Schenn isn't really new.  Has already some chemistry with Hughes but he won't be playing with him as he's just a solid cheap depth guy (#7) you can stick in Abby or in the pressbox (to be used when injuries occur or give some of the 30+ year old guys time to re-energize from the minor bumps/scraps over the course of a long season).

I think the grade out is harsher than reality.  The first 20 games our d has disastrous.  Hughes was chasing offense too hard and harmonic was out of shape.  The pairing of edler and Schmidt didn’t really fit together.  My opinion is they have brought in guys that will work better together.  We should be playing in the opponents end more often which will help out the blue line a lot.  The backend is still our biggest wildcard but has potential to be improved from a season ago and a lot more depth.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

On paper it isn't great at all. Sure, I'll get flamed but whatever.

The right side has a problem in the top 4.

If the stars align, it will work. Could have some serious holes.

Pretty much this.

A lot has to go right for this defense to be good.

That said, the forward group + goaltending may be good enough to get us into the playoffs. Probably won't be very pretty after that if the defense is still a concern come April/May.

Edited by kanucks25

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Pretty much this.

A lot has to go right for this defense to be good.

That said, the forward group + goaltending may be good enough to get us into the playoffs. Probably won't be very pretty after that if the defence is still a concern come April/May.

Exactly. It's a first round exit type of defense.

I think they lack a true #1 and a true #4. They also lack a bomb but Rathbone might fill the void.

Not a scary dman back there either the combo of OEL and Hughes is soft but they won't pair together. Hamonic and Myers ok but not scary.

Defense is our biggest weakness.

A lot of turnover during the offseason, but that was needed with how our defense has performed over the years.

Hopefully they gel well together and with a new defensive system. Can't continue relying on the goaltender to bail the team out and expect to contend.

• Upvote 1

If you look at our team, it's devoid of a defenseman with true shutdown ability. I think until we get that guy, it will continue to be inadequate.

With that said, I don't think it's bad... it's just... average. If OEL regains some form that will help a lot, and I think a lot also depends on the development of at least one of OJ or Rathbone. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Offensively, the defense has great options. 

Defensively I think they can get the job done but d zone play depends on the forwards as much as the defense.  Imo Canucks Achilles heel has been execution on more detail type plays, short passes, wingers winning puck battles when the Defense force opponents up the boards etc. 

Overall I'd say the defense has a good mix of mobility and puck skills.  I think the newly added forwards all have good 2 way ability which will help overall team defense as well

• Cheers 2

They need OJ to pan out, Rathbone is more of the same and trade bait in my mind.

I’d honestly trade Hughes for a top all-round RHD though if Rathbone projects as a 30-40 point Stecher as we are unfortunately married to OEL at this point.

OEL-Ekblad 

OJ-Myers 

Bone-Hamonic

Feels more rounded

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

We have solid depth at the low end, but I think our top 4 is pretty weak compared to better teams unless some of our expected top guys improve.

Agreed - it’s a work in progress like our forwards have been for years.

Like when we had a couple/few good top line forwards and seventeen third liners and another twelve fourth liners.

Seems like our forwards are finally sorted, but it’s gonna be a bit still to get our D in championship form.

• Upvote 1