The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 32 players - Oct. 03, 2021

2 hours ago, mll said:

Darren Raddysh went undrafted.  Taylor Raddysh is the 2nd round pick and he's still at camp and making a push to be in the opening night lineup.

I know that, but you do realize Darren was pretty hyped in his day too right? (albeit not as much as his brother)

"Raddysh re-joined the Otters for his fifth and final year in major juniors and recorded a comeback season, gaining attention from various NHL teams.[6] Following a game against the Kitchener Rangers in January, Raddysh became the new franchise leader for points by a defenceman with 151.[10]The following month, he set a new franchise single-season record for points by a defenceman with his 68th of the season.[11] With his assistance, the Otters won the J. Ross Robertson Cup as the playoff champion of the Ontario Hockey League and qualified for the 2017 Memorial Cup. Alongside his brother Taylor, they became the first pair of brothers to compete against another pair of brothers (the McLeod's) in an OHL Final since 2012.[12] As a result of his play, Raddysh became the first player in OHL history to simultaneously win the Max Kaminsky Trophy as OHL Defenceman of the Year and the Leo Lalonde Memorial Trophy as Overage Player of the Year.[13] The Otters competed against the Windsor Spitfires in the Memorial Cup, losing in seven games. At the end of the tournament, Raddysh was named to the 2017 Mastercard Memorial Cup All-Star Team alongside his brother."

There will be players hitting the waiver wire before the season that we should grab and would be upgrades on our current depth.

If Hamonic is out, then Borgen (if waived) would be a good pick up as a depth guy on the roster and to slot in instead of Schenn when we need less toughness.

If Motte and Sutter aren't expected to be back soon, then there are probably better waiver wire options than our existing guys who are all fringe NHL players at best.  I don't mind keeping Gadjovich around as he has a skill set we need an honestly whoever ends up playing on the Motte-Sutter line isn't going to get a lot of ice time as most of their minutes will be as a duo on the PK.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:38 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Brogan Rafferty doesn't make the cut again. 

Poor guy. 

To be honest, I wasn’t happy at some of his comments upon leaving here and so I don’t have too much sympathy for him.  I have a little bit of sympathy, and hope he finds an NHL gig somewhere, but I was quite disappointed with his attitude upon leaving here.