The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Inflation : 40 Year High

Industrious1

On 2/21/2023 at 7:30 AM, WeneedLumme said:

Nice healthy sign to see our inflation rate continue to drop, now below 6%. Although there will still be the "no way, look at the prices of...." posts from people who refuse to believe that inflation has been coming down since the middle of last year.

https://www.cp24.com/news/canada-s-annual-inflation-rate-slowed-to-5-9-in-january-1.6282268

Ya our high amount of debt is probably slowing it better than in the states. So Tiff can hold the line while the states has to creep up. Dollar goes down, import prices go up, eat local, travel local goes up. It's obvious what's going to happen. 

Will the dollar drop to 65 cents to the US dollar like it was for like forever? We shall see....

On 2/21/2023 at 7:30 AM, WeneedLumme said:

Nice healthy sign to see our inflation rate continue to drop, now below 6%. Although there will still be the "no way, look at the prices of...." posts from people who refuse to believe that inflation has been coming down since the middle of last year.

https://www.cp24.com/news/canada-s-annual-inflation-rate-slowed-to-5-9-in-january-1.6282268

....they say inflation is coming down.  But is it?

They also said inflation was never really higher than around 7% ish but we know that's crap.

You can't pretend for a moment that with fuel prices still 20% higher or more than last year, utilities higher than ever and new "delivery fee increases" and food prices in excess of 30% higher that anything has really changed 

It's like when they hold a black Friday sale and claim huge discounts.  When in reality they jack the prices of things, discount it slightly and still come out ahead because they never really lost profit on anything, just suckered the consumer.

The average person is struggling more than ever and you can show them fancy math claiming it's coming down.  But they're struggling more than ever and no amount of snake oil sales pitches will change that fact

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

....they say inflation is coming down.  But is it?

They also said inflation was never really higher than around 7% ish but we know that's crap.

You can't pretend for a moment that with fuel prices still 20% higher or more than last year, utilities higher than ever and new "delivery fee increases" and food prices in excess of 30% higher that anything has really changed 

It's like when they hold a black Friday sale and claim huge discounts.  When in reality they jack the prices of things, discount it slightly and still come out ahead because they never really lost profit on anything, just suckered the consumer.

The average person is struggling more than ever and you can show them fancy math claiming it's coming down.  But they're struggling more than ever and no amount of snake oil sales pitches will change that fact

Yep, what they call inflation isn't really true inflation as they remove fuel and food out of their calculations.

Well I'm sorry, but I still have to feed myself, heat my house and drive. So as much as they want to tell me inflation shouldn't include those things, those things really effect peoples bank accounts, probably more than anything else.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

Yep, what they call inflation isn't really true inflation as they remove fuel and food out of their calculations.

Well I'm sorry, but I still have to feed myself, heat my house and drive. So as much as they want to tell me inflation shouldn't include those things, those things really effect peoples bank accounts, probably more than anything else.

In Canada there's more than 1 CPI reading. There's regular CPI, Median CPI, Common CPI and Trimmed CPI.

The one that's reported is regular CPI. The one you're talking about is Trimmed CPI.

In the USA they report CPI and Core CPI. CPI is everything and Core excludes food and energy.

39 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/loblaw-revenue-q4-2022-1.6757480

Loblaw earns $529M in Q4 profits as Canadians struggle with rising food prices

Grocery chains recording yearly profits higher than any time in history.  Shattering the historical 10% regulars.

But ya, all is well.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

"inflation is coming down"

Hey, let's jack has prices 20 cents in one shot with literally zero justification except that we can and see if that has any effect in things.

Gas companies have no excuse again for this, 5 weeks to drop ten cents here in the Okanagan and in one shot,$1.53.9 all the way to $1.73.9 across the entire valley and from what I see; province.

Why?  Inflation will never come down when housing, utilities and fuel costs keep increasing 

On 3/4/2023 at 9:54 AM, Warhippy said:

Hey, let's jack has prices 20 cents in one shot with literally zero justification except that we can and see if that has any effect in things.

Gas companies have no excuse again for this, 5 weeks to drop ten cents here in the Okanagan and in one shot,$1.53.9 all the way to $1.73.9 across the entire valley and from what I see; province.

Why?  Inflation will never come down when housing, utilities and fuel costs keep increasing 

And governments that's spend recklessly and go deep into debt.

On 2/22/2023 at 9:38 PM, nuckin_futz said:

In Canada there's more than 1 CPI reading. There's regular CPI, Median CPI, Common CPI and Trimmed CPI.

The one that's reported is regular CPI. The one you're talking about is Trimmed CPI.

In the USA they report CPI and Core CPI. CPI is everything and Core excludes food and energy.

The one he is talking about though is the one that's most affecting Canadians. So to downplay it and suggest inflation is down is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2023 at 8:54 AM, Warhippy said:

Just wait until you get your property taxes!

My utility bill (they do it utility and then property) has like gone up 50% in the last four years. And looking at the projected rise in the next five years it's gonna double by then.

Vancouver 9%. Surrey 17%.

Surrey can blame the cops (or their own bungling of it) but Vancouver just blames inflation.

"Inflation is coming down"

I agree with you on the lol of that.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

Just wait until you get your property taxes!

My utility bill (they do it utility and then property) has like gone up 50% in the last four years. And looking at the projected rise in the next five years it's gonna double by then.

Vancouver 9%. Surrey 17%.

Surrey can blame the cops (or their own bungling of it) but Vancouver just blames inflation.

"Inflation is coming down"

I agree with you on the lol of that.

It's like they cherry pick the most ludicrous statistics to justify that statement.  The reality is

Fuel prices/Transportation

Debt servicing/interest payments

Food prices

Utility prices

Housing 

Essential bills (cell, internet)

Car insurance 

Are never ever factored in.  These are the single most important things to Jane and Joe average and their kids.

It's hard to care that a JBL blue tooth speaker is 14% less expensive than it was 2 years ago when people can not afford to keep their power on, heat their homes, feed their kids, fix their car or are working just to pay the interest payments on the debt they accrued trying to do just that last year.

11 hours ago, Warhippy said:

It's like they cherry pick the most ludicrous statistics to justify that statement.  The reality is

Fuel prices/Transportation

Debt servicing/interest payments

Food prices

Utility prices

Housing 

Essential bills (cell, internet)

Car insurance 

Are never ever factored in.  These are the single most important things to Jane and Joe average and their kids.

It's hard to care that a JBL blue tooth speaker is 14% less expensive than it was 2 years ago when people can not afford to keep their power on, heat their homes, feed their kids, fix their car or are working just to pay the interest payments on the debt they accrued trying to do just that last year.

Yup now since energy prices are cyclical it makes sense to not count it in the main stat (like when oil prices were negative a lot of those things went temporarily down, which would have shown deflation, even if that was not the overall case. However, you shouldn't ignore it either.

The thing is, whether it's a central bank, or just lenders, that ultimately make the call, the only way to reign in costs is to increase the cost of borrowing, until people, business, and government get religion on not borrowing, prices go up. The debt services/interest payments are meant to suck up the money that goes to everything else. 

Business is getting religion on not borrowing. People are coming around. Governments are as bad as ever, still borrowing money to "fight inflation"! :rolleyes:

In summary, if you think its bad now, just wait.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

Yup now since energy prices are cyclical it makes sense to not count it in the main stat (like when oil prices were negative a lot of those things went temporarily down, which would have shown deflation, even if that was not the overall case. However, you shouldn't ignore it either.

The thing is, whether it's a central bank, or just lenders, that ultimately make the call, the only way to reign in costs is to increase the cost of borrowing, until people, business, and government get religion on not borrowing, prices go up. The debt services/interest payments are meant to suck up the money that goes to everything else. 

Business is getting religion on not borrowing. People are coming around. Governments are as bad as ever, still borrowing money to "fight inflation"! :rolleyes:

In summary, if you think its bad now, just wait.  

IMHO most of this inflation has been caused by government spending and I don’t see that changing until the cost of carrying said debt overwhelms their budgeting. It already has but they are BS’ing their way forward until the next election. 

i am a economic nationalist. We haven’t had a clear plan since the Harper government on how to break free from American domination and a clear plan to exert our own sovereign objectives. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO most of this inflation has been caused by government spending and I don’t see that changing until the cost of carrying said debt overwhelms their budgeting. It already has but they are BS’ing their way forward until the next election. 

i am a economic nationalist. We haven’t had a clear plan since the Harper government on how to break free from American domination and a clear plan to exert our own sovereign objectives. 

Well....

It's not just our government spending. And as costs rise, the people are going to resist taxation. And if the costs go up to much to borrow, then the only answer then is to figure out how to save money and live on a budget. 

It's going to be a problem for a while. History repeats itself. Economically and energy wise, were only in the late 70s. It didn't get fixed until 1984 or so.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Ha ha your not going to have a solid base for a long time. Don't count on me I a a giant flake. I only care about policcy lol.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Without getting too far into the politics of it (since that would be verboten here), the "clear plan" that the previous PM had was to set up favourable and protected terms for the ccp to come in and buy up our assets, thus placing (and slowly constricting) the noose of suzerainty on us, Canadian sovereignty objectives be damned.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canada-ratifies-investment-deal-with-china-despite-misgivings-1.2004295

What you need to do is suck it up and come camping so that you can participate in the big meeting.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:26 PM, Warhippy said:

The first and most essential step is actually to stop the endless top down purchases by the largest companies that are killing competition.

Enacting and leaning on strong anti trust laws would be the single most effective thing we could do.  Allowing to the growth and encouragement of competition that will not either be purchased or killed by the largest companies in their field would be the single most effective thing that the government could do without interfering with the market.

Looking back at this thread I illed this one it's storng.