The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oscars Launch Formal Review of Will Smith After Chris Rock Slap

Just now, stawns said:

While smith screwed himself big time, I don't have a big issue with people being held to.task.for being a dick.  I love Chris Rock, but I don't know why everyone is applauding him for being a callous ahole by making a joke about someone's medical condition.

you're over reacting. It was a fairly innocent joke. 

17 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Roast the audience for their bad acting, their crazy outfits, political views - fair game. But surely not their medical condition! In that case, I agree that Will Smith had the right to be pissed off. But I also agree that he expressed it in an arguably even worse way - by immediately attacking somebody without letting that person get a chance to apologize. Instead of Will Smith immediately assaulting Chris Rock, had he first voiced out his displeasure about the joke (even, "get my wife's name out of your $#@ mouth"), he would have gotten the response that Chris Rock said, "but it's just a GI Jane joke", and at which point, he could have explained his protest even further - based on his apology, "MY wife's medical condition". I think Chris Rock would have stopped at that point. But as it is, Will Smith unfortunately chose violence to be his first response and that says a lot about him.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

While smith screwed himself big time, I don't have a big issue with people being held to.task.for being a dick.  I love Chris Rock, but I don't know why everyone is applauding him for being a callous ahole by making a joke about someone's medical condition.

Do either of you have prove that Chris knows about Jada's condition before hand? It is very easy to recon his joke as insensitive after the fact when everyone can dig into someone's history. 

To someone who doesn't know, a bald head look is a fashion choice. If Chris doesn't know, and he does claim he doesn't know before hand, it was fair game to him to make a off the cuff joke about it as there are plenty of women who choose to rock a buzz cut and looking stunning in it like Jada. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

you're over reacting. It was a fairly innocent joke. 

I don't think other people get to determine whether people's reactions are over reactions are not.  While we might think it was a harmless joke, she is obviously very sensitive about it and I've seen videos of women going through the same thing who are very very emotional about it........his joke is directed toward them too.

I'm all for comedy and using humour to bring a more light hearted approach to serious things, but you also have to balance the possible negative outcomes from your words.  

What Smith did was stupid, but I don't think we should be cheerleading for openly mocking people's medical issues for entertainment purposes.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I wonder if Carrey gets canceled for saying that? maybe he's not relevant enough anymore to warrant the effort, but he's right. 

To be fair, apparently, some of the people there thought the whole thing was staged. So when they stood up to clap, that was probably for his performance in his movie role.

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Do either of you have prove that Chris knows about Jada's condition before hand? It is very easy to recon his joke as insensitive after the fact when everyone can dig into someone's history. 

To someone who doesn't know, a bald head look is a fashion choice. If Chris doesn't know, and he does claim he doesn't know before hand, it was fair game to him to make a off the cuff joke about it as there are plenty of women who choose to rock a buzz cut and looking stunning in it like Jada. 

Well she's been pretty open about it I think

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well she's been pretty open about it I think

Being open does not mean everyone knows about it. You can be open about your sensuality as you want and I could be non the wiser. 

Do we as a society now expect everyone to know everything about a person that they made public?

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Apparently, she has done quite a bit of interviews about it and posted it on her various social media. But even if the other person didn't know, Will Smith should still have gotten upset about somebody picking on any medical condition - he just chose the wrong way of expressing it. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think other people get to determine whether people's reactions are over reactions are not.  While we might think it was a harmless joke, she is obviously very sensitive about it and I've seen videos of women going through the same thing who are very very emotional about it........his joke is directed toward them too.

I'm all for comedy and using humour to bring a more light hearted approach to serious things, but you also have to balance the possible negative outcomes from your words.  

What Smith did was stupid, but I don't think we should be cheerleading for openly mocking people's medical issues for entertainment purposes.

And sometimes comedy helps people going through situations. 

But the idea that she was attacked or something is ridiculous. Rock didn't mock her medical condition, he made a buzz cut joke. She's not some innocent person who doesn't monetize her life either, we need to grow up a bit here. 

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Being open does not mean everyone knows about it. You can be open about your sensuality as you want and I could be non the wiser. 

Do we as a society now expect everyone to know everything about a person that they made public?

I knew about her condition, I'd bet that rock did as well

I knew about her condition, I'd bet that rock did as well

So does this mean every time someone makes a Kevin Hart short joke he gets to kick them in the nuts? or maybe punch up?

5 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Apparently, she has done quite a bit of interviews about it and posted it on her various social media. But even if the other person didn't know, Will Smith should still have gotten upset about somebody picking on any medical condition - he just chose the wrong way of expressing it. 

Smith can be upset over it. What I am getting up is assigning blame to someone who might be ignorant about the whole thing. People are not at fault for things they don't  know. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

And sometimes comedy helps people going through situations. 

But the idea that she was attacked or something is ridiculous. Rock didn't mock her medical condition, he made a buzz cut joke. She's not some innocent person who doesn't monetize her life either, we need to grow up a bit here. 

And you can't see how a woman, in an industry where beauty is the #1 commodity might be sensitive about that.  Again, I've watched several videos of women going through the same thing and it is a very emotional thing for them.  By mocking JPS, he mocked all those women as well.

Did CR deserve to be publically assaulted for it?  Of course not.  

Should he have known better?  Definitely, and we should hold him up as some kind of hero. 

If he were a kid and did that on the playground to another student going through that, would you just brush it off as a harmless joke?

And you can't see how a woman, in an industry where beauty is the #1 commodity might be sensitive about that.  Again, I've watched several videos of women going through the same thing and it is a very emotional thing for them.  By mocking JPS, he mocked all those women as well.

Did CR deserve to be publically assaulted for it?  Of course not.  

Should he have known better?  Definitely, and we should hold him up as some kind of hero. 

If he were a kid and did that on the playground to another student going through that, would you just brush it off as a harmless joke?

please, stop. Rock did not insult every woman with that condition, thats ridiculous. This is the kind of over sensitive dramatization thats leading us into perennial silly season when it comes to whats appropriate as comedy, or public discussions. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Smith can be upset over it. What I am getting up is assigning blame to someone who might be ignorant about the whole thing. People are not at fault for things they don't  know. 

On Chris Rock's insensitivity, if it were you, would you be making fun of someone's baldness? For goodness' sake, for all you know, it may be chemotherapy, no?

Apparently, Chris Rock has a medical condition himself: https://www.health.com/condition/neurological-disorders/nvld-chris-rock-learning-disorder so one would hope that that would have made him more sensitive about others' potential medical condition. 

In any event, this is just all turning out to be such a bad look for so many people.

Edited by Vinny in Vancouver

Just now, JM_ said:

please, stop. Rock did not insult every woman with that condition, thats ridiculous. This is the kind of over sensitive dramatization thats leading us into perennial silly season when it comes to whats appropriate as comedy, or public discussions. 

Hey, i make unbelievably crass, inappropriate jokes every day, but I make them in the privacy of my home, not on front of tens of millions of people.

If you think that joke didn't strike a chord on with many of those women, then it's you being ridiculous and uncharacteristically callous

Just now, stawns said:

Hey, i make unbelievably crass, inappropriate jokes every day, but I make them in the privacy of my home, not on front of tens of millions of people.

If you think that joke didn't strike a chord on with many of those women, then it's you being ridiculous and uncharacteristically callous

think about what you're suggesting. Now every joke is a slight on every member of some community? where the heck does this end?

Smith is a very public person, she's made a career out of putting her personal issues in front of the pubic. By trying to be a white knight for her, you're actually suggesting that we can't make jokes because it effects every member of some group. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Did you feel the same about Trump mocking a disabled reporter?

Just now, stawns said:

Did you feel the same about Trump mocking a disabled reporter?

I thought it made Trump look like an idiot, but it would be ridiculous to suggest he was mocking every disabled person.