2022 3rd Round Pick

To Pitt:
Garland

To Van:
Marino

FA's:
Josh Manson 5yr x5
Kuzmenko 1yr x 900k

With that, we're down to 74m in cap hit, assuming we re-sign Boeser for 2x6m, re-signing highmore and lammikko to 1m, and chiasson and do not re-sign Richardson. 

Then we sign:
Domi 1yr x 4 (show-me deal. If he proves a real top-6 forward, he gets a raise the following year)
Copp 4yr x4

Total Cap hit: 82m

Pearson-Miller-Podz
Hogs-Petey-Boeser
Domi-Horvat-Kuzmenko
Copp-Lammikko-Highmore
*Chiasson

Hughes-Marino
OEL-Manson
Rathbone-Dermott
*Schenn, Burroughs

Demko
Martin

Much better defense, we lose Garland but hopefully Podkolzin and Hoglander step up, and we should get more scoring in the bottom 6 with Copp. Copp also makes our penalty kill a lot better, as does Manson. 

5 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

To Dal: 
Myers

To Van:
2022 3rd Round Pick

To Pitt:
Garland

To Van:
Marino

FA's:
Josh Manson 5yr x5
Kuzmenko 1yr x 900k

With that, we're down to 74m in cap hit, assuming we re-sign Boeser for 2x6m, re-signing highmore and lammikko to 1m, and chiasson and do not re-sign Richardson. 

Then we sign:
Domi 1yr x 4 (show-me deal. If he proves a real top-6 forward, he gets a raise the following year)
Copp 4yr x4

Total Cap hit: 82m

Pearson-Miller-Podz
Hogs-Petey-Boeser
Domi-Horvat-Kuzmenko
Copp-Lammikko-Highmore
*Chiasson

Hughes-Marino
OEL-Manson
Rathbone-Dermott
*Schenn, Burroughs

Demko
Martin

Much better defense, we lose Garland but hopefully Podkolzin and Hoglander step up, and we should get more scoring in the bottom 6 with Copp. Copp also makes our penalty kill a lot better, as does Manson. 

Josh Manson 30 yrs old 5 years X 5 million, Big no..Maybe 3yrs X 4 million again

Copp 27,  GP 16 -- PTS 18 with NYR-- I think NYR will resign him-- Hope NYR get knocked out in 5 games they will be after Miller then...

Domi 27, Very gritty has talent just needs a new team and playing in top 6 he should get 50-56 points- 20-24 G-- Would sign 4.5 million show me more deal..

I really think Miller or Boeser will be traded by draft..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I don't know how trading Garland for Marino and losing Myers makes us better?

No Garland

No Myers

Add Marino (who is smaller and provides little to no offence.)

Free agents can go to any team, so we likely overpay to get those guys.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I don't know how trading Garland for Marino and losing Myers makes us better?

No Garland

No Myers

Add Marino (who is smaller and provides little to no offence.)

Free agents can go to any team, so we likely overpay to get those guys.  

Idea being Marino + Hughes would be a pure puck possession pairing. Plays a similar defensive style to Hughes as well. 
OEL + Manson would be better than OEL + Myers. 

A bit of a gamble that Domi can do what Garland has done for us, given the opportunity to play with good linemates. 

I didn't realize how good our cap situation actually is moving forward. Regardless of what is done, we'll have lots of options. Given that they're keeping Boeser, I'm almost certain its Myers who's being moved. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Idea being Marino + Hughes would be a pure puck possession pairing. Plays a similar defensive style to Hughes as well. 
OEL + Manson would be better than OEL + Myers. 

A bit of a gamble that Domi can do what Garland has done for us, given the opportunity to play with good linemates. 

I didn't realize how good our cap situation actually is moving forward. Regardless of what is done, we'll have lots of options. Given that they're keeping Boeser, I'm almost certain its Myers who's being moved. 

I don't mind Marino providing we can for sure fill Myers' role.

A guy who is getting some bad press in Winnipeg, who I really like, is Pionk.  Love to get him.  How about Garland (Jets like guys who have term) for Pionk?

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't mind Marino providing we can for sure fill Myers' role.

A guy who is getting some bad press in Winnipeg, who I really like, is Pionk.  Love to get him.  How about Garland (Jets like guys who have term) for Pionk?

Love that. 

12 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol 20+ team after kuzmenko for sure he's going to sign a 1 year deal at almost league minimum and dallas for sure wants to take myer for 6mil x 2 more years till 34 when they don't een want to pay klingsberg

Kuzmenko is forced by NHL rules to sign an ELC - that's why it'd be a 1 year deal, because it's capped at about 900k, and im sure he'll want a raise in year 2. 

They're letting Klingberg go because Klingberg wants 8 years and about 7.5m-8m/year. Dallas would be stupid to take that considering he's probably going to start his decline in a year or two. 

6m/year x 2 years for Myers is much more manageable. Looks even better if we retained 1m/year. 

7 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Kuzmenko is forced by NHL rules to sign an ELC - that's why it'd be a 1 year deal, because it's capped at about 900k, and im sure he'll want a raise in year 2. 

They're letting Klingberg go because Klingberg wants 8 years and about 7.5m-8m/year. Dallas would be stupid to take that considering he's probably going to start his decline in a year or two. 

6m/year x 2 years for Myers is much more manageable. Looks even better if we retained 1m/year. 

we are not in a position to retain salary period. retaining 1mil and then spending 5mil on a replacement gains you nothing. you guys can hate on Myers all you want but considering he plays almost 22 mins a night with almost no PP and we call him the chaos giraffe but some how he's on the ice for more goals than against he must be doing something right. 

also Kuzmenko is not forced to sign an ELC. pretty sure elc only applies to 25 and under he's 26 prolly why he planned his contract to run out now instead of last year to explore NHL opportunity.

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

we are not in a position to retain salary period. retaining 1mil and then spending 5mil on a replacement gains you nothing. you guys can hate on Myers all you want but considering he plays almost 22 mins a night with almost no PP and we call him the chaos giraffe but some how he's on the ice for more goals than against he must be doing something right. 

also Kuzmenko is not forced to sign an ELC. pretty sure elc only applies to 25 and under he's 26 prolly why he planned his contract to run out now instead of last year to explore NHL opportunity.

Manson and Myers are very different players. Myers is a puck mover who is prone to making big defensive mistakes, which is why you pretty much just see OEL taking long point shots instead of playing the style we're used to seeing in Arizona (and he plays that style whenever he's been paired with someone OTHER than Myers, as well as on the powerplay). 

Myers will be great for a team that's looking for some spark from the back end. We need a partner for OEL that can lock it down defensively without making mistakes and let OEL play his style. You might think its a lateral move to go from Myers -> Manson but its really not. We need a shutdown defenseman instead of Myers. 

And that's not correct about Kuzmenko. He does have to sign an ELC, according to the CBA. image.png.d068c85b45e00e08d95bb7be790e2bb4.png

4 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Manson and Myers are very different players. Myers is a puck mover who is prone to making big defensive mistakes, which is why you pretty much just see OEL taking long point shots instead of playing the style we're used to seeing in Arizona (and he plays that style whenever he's been paired with someone OTHER than Myers, as well as on the powerplay). 

Myers will be great for a team that's looking for some spark from the back end. We need a partner for OEL that can lock it down defensively without making mistakes and let OEL play his style. You might think its a lateral move to go from Myers -> Manson but its really not. We need a shutdown defenseman instead of Myers. 

And that's not correct about Kuzmenko. He does have to sign an ELC, according to the CBA. image.png.d068c85b45e00e08d95bb7be790e2bb4.png

Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

There are already multiple rumors it'll take 3-4mil aav just to sign him.

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

There are already multiple rumors it'll take 3-4mil aav just to sign him.

Again, that's not correct. 

(c) Notwithstanding the chart set forth in (b) above, a Player who at the time he was drafted was playing for a team outside North America or who meets the qualifications set forth in Article 8.4(a)(v) (a "European Player") who signs his first SPC at ages 25-27 shall be subject to the Entry Level System for one (1) year. A European Player who signs his first SPC at age 28 or older is not subject to the Entry Level System under any circumstances.

A couple nitpicks on your proposal: 

1. you have Domi signing a show me deal to prove he’s a top 6 guy, but then you put him on our 3rd line which simultaneously takes away an opportunity to prove himself as a top 6. 

2. Copp at 4 mil on 4th line is basically something that made our fan base run Benning out of town. Copp at 4 million is fine but you need a better plan for him than 4th line at that cost. 

3. Manson on a 5 year deal is not ideal. I’d rather keep Myers for the 2 more years for the extra mil per season. If you make the Garland for Marino trade, I see no logic in essentially moving Myers for a 30 year old on a 5 year deal at just shy of the same cost. 

9 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Again, that's not correct. 

(c) Notwithstanding the chart set forth in (b) above, a Player who at the time he was drafted was playing for a team outside North America or who meets the qualifications set forth in Article 8.4(a)(v) (a "European Player") who signs his first SPC at ages 25-27 shall be subject to the Entry Level System for one (1) year. A European Player who signs his first SPC at age 28 or older is not subject to the Entry Level System under any circumstances.

No idea then regardless if that's the case I see him signing in edmonton to take advantage of playing with mcdavid or drai and cash in the following season 

4 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

A couple nitpicks on your proposal: 

1. you have Domi signing a show me deal to prove he’s a top 6 guy, but then you put him on our 3rd line which simultaneously takes away an opportunity to prove himself as a top 6. 

2. Copp at 4 mil on 4th line is basically something that made our fan base run Benning out of town. Copp at 4 million is fine but you need a better plan for him than 4th line at that cost. 

3. Manson on a 5 year deal is not ideal. I’d rather keep Myers for the 2 more years for the extra mil per season. If you make the Garland for Marino trade, I see no logic in essentially moving Myers for a 30 year old on a 5 year deal at just shy of the same cost. 

1. Domi would be playing with 2 very capable linemates though - we'd essentially be running 3x scoring lines in my scenario. Domi should have no problem performing with linemates like Horvat and Kuzmenko. 

2. Yeah thats a completely fair point. Tbh he should be a middle 6 player, not a 4th liner. 

3. 5 years is a bit tough for Manson yes, but we really need a bona fide top-4 shutdown defenseman RHD, and there just arent many available. Myers is a puck moving guy who makes way too many mistakes defensively. Yes he eats up minutes, but we allow too many high danger scoring chances with him on the ice. If theres an alternative shutdown defenseman to Manson, itd be good to see

New plan - shed some cap

Give Brock a 2 year bridge deal at 6m x season, if he rebounds, he gets a raise
Trade Pearson back to LA for a 3rd (saves 3.2m)
Buyout Dickinson and give Lockwood his 1 way contract (saves 700k)
Re-sign Chiasson (why not, Miller loved playing with him, and he was delivering far above his contract value when he played in the top 6)
Give Karlsson his ELC (beating Petey's rookie record in the SHL bodes well for his ability to contribute offensively)

Garland-Miller-Chiasson
Podkolzin-Petey-Boeser
Hoglander-Horvat-Karlsson
Lockwood-Lammikko-Highmore

35m for that group of forwards, which is basically what we were running with at the end of the season. 

Trade Myers to Dallas for a 3rd (save 6m)
Sign Manson (5x5)
Sign Colin Miller (3m x 1 year to give him a chance to recapture his form)

Hughes-Miller
OEL-Manson
Rathbone-Dermott
*Schenn, Burroughs, Hunt

26m for those 6 defensemen + Schenn. 

That whole roster comes in at 70m, leaving 12m available. 4m of that will probably be needed for Miller's raise (though we do recoup 2.4m of it with dead cap falling off, so about 9.5m is available to improve the roster further). 

Then go get Gaudreau or Forsberg with that available space? :bigblush: