The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Move Up - Move Down

Before I being this topic I just want to say I'm a Boeser fan and if he could improve his skating I'm all for keeping him but I feel it would work out better for him if he was closer to home. Our biggest need is improving the D and Jiricek/Nemec check all the boxes. So here are two trades I would make to not only land Jiricek/Nemec but also make up for trading Boeser. 

Trade 1: Move Up

To Van:

2nd Overall

To NJ

Boeser

15th Overall

+ (We most likely would need to add)

Trade 2: Move Down

To Van:

3rd Overall

Crouse

To Arizona:

2nd Overall 

Arizona could trade Crouse at next seasons trade deadline and possibly land a first, however, this way they have the option to go with either Slafkovsky or Cooney. Instead of having to pick the one left over, they decide which direction they'd like to go. 

Vancouver on the other hand land Crouse to make up for the Boeser trade and have the option to chose between Nemec and Jiricek. 

Miller - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Crouse - Horvat - Garland

Hoglander - Dickinson - Pearson

Highmore - Lammikko - Lockwood

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Jiricek

Rathbone - Dermott

Schenn

After these two trades management can look at the potential lineup and decide whether to keep Miller or trade him to improve and consistently compete in the playoffs year over year. You could probably tell where I stand in terms of keeping or trading Miller. 

I don't mind the idea of moving Boeser to try and move up, and we'd probably have to add for sure. But I have a hard time seeing Arizona caring enough to trade up, they'll get a fantastic player at 3 so I figure they'd just stand pat. They'd get a better net return by simply using their pick and trading Crouse for additional assets, it'd also line up with their apparent shotgun rebuild approach of having as many picks as possible. 

1 hour ago, Doogie said:

Before I being this topic I just want to say I'm a Boeser fan and if he could improve his skating I'm all for keeping him but I feel it would work out better for him if he was closer to home. Our biggest need is improving the D and Jiricek/Nemec check all the boxes. So here are two trades I would make to not only land Jiricek/Nemec but also make up for trading Boeser. 

Trade 1: Move Up

To Van:

2nd Overall

To NJ

Boeser

15th Overall

+ (We most likely would need to add)

Trade 2: Move Down

To Van:

3rd Overall

Crouse

To Arizona:

2nd Overall 

Arizona could trade Crouse at next seasons trade deadline and possibly land a first, however, this way they have the option to go with either Slafkovsky or Cooney. Instead of having to pick the one left over, they decide which direction they'd like to go. 

Vancouver on the other hand land Crouse to make up for the Boeser trade and have the option to chose between Nemec and Jiricek. 

Miller - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Crouse - Horvat - Garland

Hoglander - Dickinson - Pearson

Highmore - Lammikko - Lockwood

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Jiricek

Rathbone - Dermott

Schenn

After these two trades management can look at the potential lineup and decide whether to keep Miller or trade him to improve and consistently compete in the playoffs year over year. You could probably tell where I stand in terms of keeping or trading Miller. 

I like your general idea but its not likely to be Boeser. Management has said they want to make signing him a priority, and that they feel its a risk to trade away a young goalscorer. He's homegrown talent, and also trading him away after a down year would mean we have to sell low.

Garland on the other hand, had an amazing season. It may not look like it, but his 5v5 numbers were top-30 in the entire NHL, tied with JT Miller. He didn't get any PP1 time which is why his total points werent insane, but better believe everyone looks at that 5v5 production. Garland would be a commodity, and of the right age to fit in with NJ. My guess is the price would be: Garland + our 1st + our 2nd in 2023. 

Also agree with Coconuts, cant see AZ giving up Crouse to move up 1 spot, when there's going to be a great player available at spot #3. 

Also don't think we can expect a drafted defenseman to play in his D+1 year. They need time to develop, so I would say give it 2-3 years before you project one into our lineup. 

Canucks don't have a 2nd

to ARI - #15

to VAN - #30 and #31

Draft a D at #30:  Pickering, Luneau, Bichsel, Chesley or Odelius

Draft at #31:  Miroschichenko

Miro might be worth taking a chance on. Canucks need more quality players developing. There's a good chance MTL takes Miro at #29 though, but if that happens, go to a Plan B with the #31, taking a C:  Howard, Beck, Del Bell Belluz, Goyette, etc.