The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] Trades to address the needs of present day and future

In my opinion Miller is a clear trade piece to try and improve our future, because teams wanting Miller are not going to want to part with key players that are difference makers right now.

So my first trade idea is:

To NJD: Miller

To VAN: Mercer + Mukhamadullin

I think this is a really good return for Miller. Mercer has potential to be a top 6 center but for now could be deployed on the wing to help him to develop his defensive skills. Mukhamadullin is only 20 years old, so he could be a key piece in 1-2 years, but he's not quite ready to play in the NHL yet.

If we just make the above trade, then we take a big step backwards. We need to make a second trade to fill some gaps for the upcoming season.

I think we have too many wingers and we could use that depth to add an interim 3C and RD.

2nd trade idea:

To SEA: Garland + Rathbone + Poolman

To VAN: Larsson + Wennberg

This nets us a 3C and a top 4 RD that can slot into our roster right now. Wennberg is quite expensive ($4.5m x 2 years left) but he can fill that 3C role while Mercer develops as an NHL centerman. Larsson is a big defensive minded RD who waives his NTC to join his Swedish buddies in VAN.

Opening night lineup with $600k in cap space (including Ferland on IR, not LTIR):

Mikheyev Horvat Boeser

Podkolzin Pettersson Mercer

Pearson Wennberg Kuzmenko

Joshua Lazar Lockwood

(Dickinson)

Hughes Larsson

OEL Schenn

Dermott Myers

(Burroughs Juulsen)

Demko (Martin)

(Note: Hoglander & Mukhamadullin in AHL to keep developing)

• Like 1

First trade could work, don't think Seattle does the second trade. 

Interesting fact, Mukhamadullin was selected using what was originally the Vancouver Canuck's first round pick in 2020, which, funnily enough, we gave away to Tampa Bay in the JT Miller trade. 

• Cheers 2

I don't know if the Kraken would move Larsson (the only have 6 signed defensemen as it is and I think he was their big-minute RD) for Garland, when they just got Bjorkstrand and they have 6-7 top-9 caliber wings already.  Garland doesn't address their potential need; instead I wonder if we could do Myers as the major piece going back.  Also not sure how to value Wennberg or if he'd be the 3rd C coming back, and I agree with the below

9 minutes ago, nameci said:

Would prefer Severson (who becomes somewhat redundant after the Marino trade) as part of the package in a Miller trade with New Jersey.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

I don't know if the Kraken would move Larsson (the only have 6 signed defensemen as it is and I think he was their big-minute RD) for Garland, when they just got Bjorkstrand and they have 6-7 top-9 caliber wings already.  Garland doesn't address their potential need; instead I wonder if we could do Myers as the major piece going back.  Also not sure how to value Wennberg or if he'd be the 3rd C coming back, and I agree with the below

That's why we'd be sending 2 Dmen to SEA as part of the deal in exchange for 1 Dman...that gvies them 7 + Kempny who is possibly their #8 this season.

Who knows what Seattle wants to do? The way they have been building their roster is strange. But if it were me, I would be focusing on collecting younger assets to build around their young centers Beniers (19) and Wright (18). This probably also means tanking for two more years and collecting top picks. They have no real good young prospect Dmen and Rathbone would give them a very good young D prospect that is ready to play in the NHL.

I know SEA values what Larsson brings, but he is 29 and unlikely to be there when they are ready to contend. Oleksiak can play big minutes as their 1RD in the mean time.

I think Wennberg is overpaid at $4.5m and I think he's redundant on their roster with Beniers, McCann, Gourde as their top 3 centers, with Wright perhaps hitting their roster next season. But Wennberg would be a good fit on our roster as a 3C for the next 2 seasons. We can afford the more expensive contract because we are offsetting it with Poolman (also over paid for what he brings) going back the other way.

Eberle is 32 and can be expected to decline soon. Garland gives them offense and energy, and fits the age range of Burakovsky, Bjorkstrand, McCann, who will be the supporting cast for their young centers. A top 9 of:

Burakovsky Beniers Bjorkstrand

Schwartz McCann Garland

Tanev Gourde Eberle

would be a pretty entertaining lineup to bring in the fans whilst not actually having a contending roster.

Maybe I'm dreaming...

2 hours ago, nameci said:

Would prefer Severson (who becomes somewhat redundant after the Marino trade) as part of the package in a Miller trade with New Jersey.

I am not a fan of Severson. He is not a defensive Dman. The only way I would agree to him as part of the package would be with a reasonable extension in place (something like $5m x 5 years). I think NJD keeps Severson. They only have 7 Dmen signed and 1 of those 7 is 18 year old Nemec. Not sure if he's ready for the NHL.

12 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

In my opinion Miller is a clear trade piece to try and improve our future, because teams wanting Miller are not going to want to part with key players that are difference makers right now.

So my first trade idea is:

To NJD: Miller

To VAN: Mercer + Mukhamadullin

I like this trade a lot.  Mercer is a young, up and coming C-r, that could eventually replace Bo.  Muk is a solid

addition to the prospect pool.

2nd trade idea:

To SEA: Garland + Rathbone + Poolman

To VAN: Larsson + Wennberg

Love this trade, but I don't see Larsson leaving Seattle.  He has a NMC, so I doubt he want to come to

the land of high taxes and even higher cost of living.

I believe the Kraken are still missing a 2nd pairing RD.  Myers for Geekie

Garland + Rathbone to LA for Matt Roy

Opening night lineup with $600k in cap space (including Ferland on IR, not LTIR):

Mikheyev Horvat Boeser

Podkolzin Pettersson Mercer

Pearson Wennberg Kuzmenko

Joshua Lazar Lockwood

(Dickinson)

Hughes Larsson

OEL Schenn

Dermott Myers

(Burroughs Juulsen)

Demko (Martin)

Podz   Pete   Brock

Pears  Bo   Mik

Kuze  Mercer   Geekie

Josh   Lazar  Woods

Dickins

Hughes   Roy

OEL  Schenn/Pools (if he's healthy)

Derms  Schenn/Pools/

Burr  Juuls

Demko (Martin)