The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

You know that Arizona went undefeated last year and look how that turned out.  Or if you want to go by the example of a team that played pretty much all their regulars from the start, look at Seattle.  They had a good preseason record.  Look how they turned out.

Like I said I’ll stick to my theory of why I think they’ve lost 2 in a row and by now would hope you can comprehend the reason for my stance ,I think there’s a correlation to the canucks losing record to the carry over of the first 2 games lost. I’m still waiting for some kind of reasonable reply from you as to why there in the situation their in but all I get examples of  the hurricanes and something about another season that has absolutely nothing to do with this season.  other than they’re playing through emotions ,which by the way makes no sense at all  on it’s own    or there in a funk.      I’ll wait.   

4 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Green did loose the room and had to go, he was I thought always a stop gap between periods of the build. But yeah same problems here yet again playing a good period than falling apart. Still early but definitely don't want to sit on it for 20 games? That's crazy! Deal with it now. Imo

Edited by stawns

3 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Like I said I’ll stick to my theory of why I think they’ve lost 2 in a row and by now would hope you can comprehend the reason for my stance ,I think there’s a correlation to the canucks losing record to the carry over of the first 2 games lost. I’m still waiting for some kind of reasonable reply from you as to why there in the situation their in but all I get examples of  the hurricanes and something about another season that has absolutely nothing to do with this season.  other than they’re playing through emotions ,which by the way makes no sense at all  on it’s own    or there in a funk.      I’ll wait.   

It's been discussed on these boards as to why they lost these games.  News flash, it's not because of the preseason.

10 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

It's been discussed on these boards as to why they lost these games.  News flash, it's not because of the preseason.

it's not "because" of the pre-season, but they've certainly lost these two games for the same reason they lost their pre-season games

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yes, you were right that we've drafted them, I'm simply pointing out the context. Drafting RD is good, taking chances on them in lower rounds isn't a bad strategy, but we simply don't have a very good track record of using higher picks on D. We drafted Woo in the 2nd round in 2018, prior to that you've got to go all the way back to Yann Suave back in 2008 to find a D drafted in the 2nd round. 

The last D we used a 1st on prior to Hughes (2018) or Juolevi (2016) was Bourdon back in 2005. 

It's not that we haven't just been able to develop the D we do draft, we haven't been picking them in the rounds you're most likely to get NHL'ers from. We almost always draft a forward. 

If we don't draft D high very often as a franchise it's particularly unlikely we'll draft RD high as they're less common. 

Hard to draft the RD in the early rounds if they're not the BPA at that pick.  I understand that we should try to draft them higher, but sometimes, there are just better players to pick before any RDs.

• Cheers 1

Yes, you were right that we've drafted them, I'm simply pointing out the context. Drafting RD is good, taking chances on them in lower rounds isn't a bad strategy, but we simply don't have a very good track record of using higher picks on D. We drafted Woo in the 2nd round in 2018, prior to that you've got to go all the way back to Yann Suave back in 2008 to find a D drafted in the 2nd round. 

The last D we used a 1st on prior to Hughes (2018) or Juolevi (2016) was Bourdon back in 2005. 

It's not that we haven't just been able to develop the D we do draft, we haven't been picking them in the rounds you're most likely to get NHL'ers from. We almost always draft a forward. 

If we don't draft D high very often as a franchise it's particularly unlikely we'll draft RD high as they're less common. 

thebiggest issue with the Canucks and their dmen draft picks have been injuries and accidents..........OJ, Sauve and Bourdon most specifically

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Ok let’s go with the emotion thing or would rather go with the funk thing.  Good argument. Would read again. 

Just now, Viper007 said:

Hard to draft the RD in the early rounds if they're not the BPA at that pick.  I understand that we should try to draft them higher, but sometimes, there are just better players to pick before any RDs.

Personally, unless it's a can't miss guy like Hghes, I'd always take a fwd before a dman.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

it's not "because" of the pre-season, but they've certainly lost these two games for the same reason they lost their pre-season games

I tend to disagree, the preseason games were lost for different reasons.  Mainly due to the fact that alot of the players playing were never going to be on the NHL roster.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Viper007 said:

And yet Canucks fans gripe about a lack of top 4 D and seem to constantly covet those drafted and developed by other teams, all while rooting for a franchise that doesn't seem to put much emphasis on drafting D where you're most likely to get said top D. 

Sometimes you've got to take a flyer on D with your top 2 picks, we historically haven't done that and it's probably not a coincidence the last guy who turned out to be a top 4D prior to Hughes was Edler.

We need to be willing to draft D high period, regardless of whether they're an RD or not. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Viper007 said:

I tend to disagree, the preseason games were lost for different reasons.  Mainly due to the fact that alot of the players playing were never going to be on the NHL roster.

they lost pre-season games because the players who look disinterested now looked disinterested then. 

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

Ok let’s go with the emotion thing or would rather go with the funk thing.  Good argument. Would read again. 

It's not because of emotion.  It's because of bad decisions on the PP.  It's because of momentum shifts in bad calls going against us.  But in the end, it's because the team failed to score in the third period.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

thebiggest issue with the Canucks and their dmen draft picks have been injuries and accidents..........OJ, Sauve and Bourdon most specifically

Sure, absolutely, some things just go sideways and sometimes things go tragically wrong. Doesn't take away from our lack of drafting D in the top two rounds though. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

And yet Canucks fans gripe about a lack of top 4 D and seem to constantly covet those drafted and developed by other teams, all while rooting for a franchise that doesn't seem to put much emphasis on drafting D where you're most likely to get said top D. 

Sometimes you've got to take a flyer on D with your top 2 picks, we historically haven't done that and it's probably not a coincidence the last guy who turned out to be a top 4D prior to Hughes was Edler.

We need to be willing to draft D high period, regardless of whether they're an RD or not. 

Tampa won their last two Cups with only Hedman as a D (in their top 7) that they drafted.  Rest were either free agent signings or traded for.  We drafted Hughes.  OEL was a good get.  We need to trade for another top four guy.  Bo is an excellent trade chip.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Ya, I would probably take a flyer on a higher rated RD.  Maybe they would if they didn't trade away draft picks.  Who knows.  That's why they get paid the big bucks to make those decisions.  Not me.