The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Netflix to Charge $8 for extra user in new policy to stop password sharing.

DonLever

15 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

“We use our son’s account.”

Exactly. It isnt brain science, let alone rocket surgery. 

If you think HGTV is going to treat you fairer for a cheaper price, for longer...

When i see the cost of cable, then the cost of each individual streaming platform, there will be people out there who pay more on streaming than a tv package. Life is so buy, I don't see how one has time to pay for streaming services & or cable. I have cable strictly for recording Canucks games, there are enough other shows we record to watch that gives us more options of things to watch than we have time for.

We have access to some streaming services, but if Netflix thinks I am going to pay to watch the odd show or movie they are wrong! 

21 hours ago, Warhippy said:

For those involved in "faang" stocks I'd dump this like a hot plate.  They've been on the downside for some time and with the advent of free streaming devices, regardless of the legality of them; it's gonna tank when this happens

Amazon apple and google are the only ones I am very confident will be around in 20 years.

Facebook has monetized but that makes it more annoying. There's nothing special to stop someone, included big players like google or Microsoft, to just replace it with something else just like they replace myspace. Not saying it WILL happen, but it definitely could.

Netfix already has (on the top of my head) Disney, Amazon, Apple, locally Chorus entertainment, and you can bet a hell of a lot more (if you have cable half the channels have on demand things too, generally of high quality I might add) on on their way. I might just have to dump the extra users (sorry family) and if it wasn't for the gf liking it, it would be dumped entirely.

So Netflix charges a premium so you can get up to six devices or whatever. And now they want me to pay another eight dollars if I allow my son to use it when he’s at his mom‘s house they’re already charging me the premium so that I can have it on more than one device. It’s my device and this is a mobile app. Why would I pay an extra eight dollars when I’m already paying for the device, I understand people that are sharing with friends and all the rest of it but if it’s all one family or you’re already paying for the device, how are you getting charged again? This is covered already by charging for more than one device….. it’s like getting taxed on a tax which is something else that annoys me.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Bllewellyn said:

So Netflix charges a premium so you can get up to six devices or whatever. And now they want me to pay another eight dollars if I allow my son to use it when he’s at his mom‘s house they’re already charging me the premium so that I can have it on more than one device. It’s my device and this is a mobile app. Why would I pay an extra eight dollars when I’m already paying for the device, I understand people that are sharing with friends and all the rest of it but if it’s all one family or you’re already paying for the device, how are you getting charged again? This is covered already by charging for more than one device….. it’s like getting taxed on a tax which is something else that annoys me.

Theres a work around for mobile devices I believe, thought I read something if the mobile device is normally in the "primary" location then it can be used elsewhere. Its more like the devices that are permanently at a single location, like my parents who has it built into their TV and have been using mine the last 5 years or however long its been. Pretty much my kids go over there for weekly sleepovers and they use it then for them, I just ended up paying the extra $8 to make it easier.

Edited by Russ

21 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So.  Not that I should suggest this but

Go out.  Buy an amazon firestick 4k.  Firecube 4k.  Whichever you prefer.  Google how to add a kodi build to it.  troypoint is my favourite.  I also found cinema hd apk app which was awesome.  Paid for a debrid service at $5 a month for quality links.  Then for a mere $50 every 3 months I got HD IPTV extreme and only added english, uk, aus, nz, canadian channels and movies.  I essentially pay less than $17 a month total and watch whatever I want whenever I want and any movie that exists on the planet right now.

It is absolutely not perfect, some buffering issues on live tv at times but really; I am absolutely not giving netflix a dime if they start asking me to confirm my account every 30 days or less

If only that was young children friendly, so much easier for kids to find netflix or disney channel on the firestick :( Wonder if its improved much in the last few years.

I miss IPTV, was really good when it worked.

4 hours ago, Russ said:

If only that was young children friendly, so much easier for kids to find netflix or disney channel on the firestick :( Wonder if its improved much in the last few years.

I miss IPTV, was really good when it worked.

My kids are 14 and 11 and I've set up their fire sticks.  Works perfectly.

Buffering issues on IPTV extreme HD at times but honestly few if any issues at all 

Cinema HD app and Kodi Build take care of everything else.

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

273AB2CB-3D6C-4CAA-95E0-E3297B4CDC31.jpeg

It has started.

Will probably cancel subscription.  I can live without it for a few months.  See what happens to Netflix.

That's the best response IMO.

Let their shareholders shit their pants for a few months and reassess.