The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks File Trademark for Updated Skate Logo

Rate this topic

AngryElf

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This in a nutshell.

The SIR, is our best logo... but pretty bland/doesn't really say much. The V is ridiculous and doesn't really even qualify as a logo (background design?) The skate conveys motion well, but is otherwise a busy, overwrought mess. The orca is awkward, busy and looks like a cheap imitation of local First Nations art (and constipated).

No wonder nobody can agree :lol:

:lol: You are right

well, other than the V.  Their best idea out of a bad bunch. The one great thing about the V logo is precisely because you can't decide if its a logo or a background design.  a logo and jersey in one!  Brilliant! Never been done before as far as I know. Waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of its time though for many to appreciate. ;)

24 minutes ago, kilgore said:

:lol: You are right

well, other than the V.  Their best idea out of a bad bunch. The one great thing about the V logo is precisely because you can't decide if its a logo or a background design.  a logo and jersey in one!  Brilliant! Never been done before as far as I know. Waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of its time though for many to appreciate. ;)

I don't know about that. There's two ways of being "different" and new. One is being cutting edge and revolutionary and makes you go :shock::towel:, and the other is...:blink: The V is more of the latter IMO :lol:

• There it is 1

On 3/1/2023 at 12:30 PM, -AJ- said:

I get the feeling that we're gonna hop on the 90s hype train and go full-time to the Skate. I wonder how many more years until it gets called the plate of spaghetti again.

Rather have plate of spaghetti than a constipating whale

On 3/1/2023 at 12:53 PM, Sell.the.team said:

I personally think flying skate logo is hideous in its original and current form.

I didn't mind the recent first nation rendition of it however.

What logo was that??

On 3/1/2023 at 1:05 PM, -AJ- said:

No question they see an opportunity to make money here for sure, though doing this and making a winning team aren't mutually exclusive.

That said, I'm personally tired of all the 90s hype these days. Every team and their mother has reverted back to their 90s jerseys. It's fun for a quick look back, but a permanent change is not something I'm interested in. I love the Orca design and mostly love that we have an actual stable identity. Changing main logos would just be going back to the eternally undecided identity-less franchise.

Well I rather not have a constipating corporate orca logo. What does the orca have anything to do with the Canucks name?? Nothing at all. It's like the Panthers team having a logo of the rat on their jersey or logo of a palm tree. It doesn't make sense and makes the organization look like a Mickey mouse operation. Logos should be linked to their name or closely represent it while our logo fails at that. Also going back to the skate logo doesn't mean we keep changing logos. It just means we corrected a mistake. The orca should never have been out logo

On 3/1/2023 at 4:56 PM, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

how about we just stick to an identity for once. 

i hated the orca at first (because of orca bay) but i can manage now.

the colours, blue, green and white are a perfect representation of the Pacific Northwest and specifically Vancouver. 

Also the orca inhabits the waters of Vancouver so it's not completely random or unrelated to the region.

the flying skate jersey makes me think we play for team germany.

The skate jersey represents the fact that we are a hockey team and as Canadians or Canucks we love hockey and it has the Canucks name incorporated. What does an Orca have anything to do with being a Canadian??

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

On 3/1/2023 at 5:19 PM, Tiger-Hearted said:

Go with updated version of the Johnny Canuck Reverse Retros full-time with navy blue as the primary dark colour and use the updated Skate as the 3rd. Ditch the cheap Agency font and go back to the traditional and much nicer-looking Athletic block font.

No thanks. Rather not have another new logo. Either go back to skate jersey or stick with the current one 

On 3/2/2023 at 2:00 AM, Baggins said:

I think you mean two time loser. :lol:

But the '82 run was actually the Flying V monstrosity. :ph34r:

Two times to Stanley cup finals. Didn't know loser teams go to finals, you must win the conference to get there. I guess you rather lose all games and miss playoffs for 8 years :ph34r:

• Cheers 1

On 3/3/2023 at 10:25 PM, -AJ- said:

To each their own.

I don't get what so good about a corporate logo that has a picture of an Orca on it? Are we still representing the Orca sports and Entertainment?? Is John McCaw still the owner? So why keep it? There is no real good story of how they made that logo except for the fact that it represents a corporation and you think we should cling on the worst logo we have ever had in our history because you are too scared to change back or you think there is some identity crises if we correct the mistake and actually go back to the original logo.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

This in a nutshell.

The SIR, is our best logo... but pretty bland/doesn't really say much. The V is ridiculous and doesn't really even qualify as a logo (background design?) The skate conveys motion well, but is otherwise a busy, overwrought mess. The orca is awkward, busy and looks like a cheap imitation of local First Nations art (and constipated).

No wonder nobody can agree :lol:

The skate logo is fine. Just because some morons in the local media back in the 90s called it plate of spaghetti, now everyone thinks it's a mess lol. It's way more realistic and simpler than a constipating orca breaking through the ice to represent the name, Canucks. The current logo is the definition of a mess since it wants to represent everything at the same time, hockey, orca, native artist, colors of the city etc yet it is completely disconnected to the name Canucks. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

The skate logo is fine. Just because some morons in the local media back in the 90s called it plate of spaghetti, now everyone thinks it's a mess lol. It's way more realistic and simpler than a constipating orca breaking through the ice to represent the name, Canucks. The current logo is the definition of a mess since it wants to represent everything at the same time, hockey, orca, native artist, colors of the city etc yet it is completely disconnected to the name Canucks. 

No, it's a mess because it's a visual mess.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I don't get what so good about a corporate logo that has a picture of an Orca on it? Are we still representing the Orca sports and Entertainment?? Is John McCaw still the owner? So why keep it? There is no real good story of how they made that logo except for the fact that it represents a corporation and you think we should cling on the worst logo we have ever had in our history because you are too scared to change back or you think there is some identity crises if we correct the mistake and actually go back to the original logo.

It’s not and never was a corporate logo. Next. 

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

It was based on a corporation name, Orca sports and entertainment. That's why there is an Orca in Canucks logo

Actually the truth is they had had multiple logos they tried out with consultation involving Trevor Linden, Variations including V logo's skate logos and other colours. Orca bay was mostly coincidence also reflective of the area like the Canucks logo. Blaming "corporate logo" is a lazy cop out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

17 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

C = Canucks

Just as the stick in rink does. Just because some moron in the local media back in the 90s called it corporate logo, now everyone thinks it's a mess lol.The NHL is a business, making every team logo is a corporate logo.

Edited by Baggins
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

C = Canucks

Just as the stick in rink does. Just because some moron in the local media back in the 90s called it corporate logo, now everyone thinks it's a mess lol.The NHL is a business, making every team logo is a corporate logo.

I can't believe people still try and make that weak argument. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I know facts are confusing @Neutral Skate, V, Johnny Canuck variations of skate V and Johnny combinations as well as the Orca designs

Spin it anyway you want, I really don't care what the truth is behind the logo... Every fan puts the logo change with the name of the company Orca Bay, what a terrible time that was with the #11 BS that happened and Keenan etc and here we hare decades later still wearing that ugly logo on the jersey.

It is a terrible logo in my opinion but hey, it has saved me a ton of $ NOT buying Canucks orca styled merchandise for over 2 decades... I would buy tons of merchandise if the logo was NOT Orca Bay style Whale.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Spin it anyway you want, I really don't care what the truth is behind the logo... Every fan puts the logo change with the name of the company Orca Bay, what a terrible time that was with the #11 BS that happened and Keenan etc and here we hare decades later still wearing that ugly logo on the jersey.

It is a terrible logo in my opinion but hey, it has saved me a ton of $ NOT buying Canucks orca styled merchandise for over 2 decades... I would buy tons of merchandise if the logo was NOT Orca Bay style Whale.

The Orca Bay logo is entirely different, so spin it all you want.

59 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Orca Bay logo looked more like Dolphins anyway. 

3C1DE6F3-8BE1-4071-9CC4-D8224620B998.jpeg