The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2023-24

canuck2xtreme

11 hours ago, Tony Romo said:

Hello everyone,

I am incredibly embarrassed and ashamed that I missed the draft. On Friday I was at the Petan charity golf tournament and I was excited to tell all y'all that I golfed with Cliff Ronning and then Saturday came along and I just completely forgot about the draft. Dak called me but my phone was on silent and then I saw his text when it was already the 3rd round and I was too upset and ashamed to join mid way. I understand this is a big deal and if yall want to fire me I will understand. 

Hey Brother

Don't be ashamed.

I am just glad to know you are alright.

@Devron expressed his concern and I know others in the league felt the same.

As much as this is a bunch of fun sometimes real life has to come first.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Devron said:

Life happens. I don’t think Romo should be fired. If it was deliberate then maybe that’s a different story. I don’t think there should be any repercussions here. I know that’s not up to me just wanted to put my 3 cents in 

And I am putting my 3 cents, I will be very disappointed if anything comes of this.

We are all friends, friends have each other's backs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 6/24/2023 at 10:47 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Leo Carlsson will add to our already stud group of prospects,  "We are ecstatic to get Leo!" Leo would figure to go first overall in most other drafts.

If i had the 2nd overall pick, Leo would have been my target. Great looking longgggg career kind of a star. Grats. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

20 hours ago, Devron said:

Life happens. I don’t think Romo should be fired. If it was deliberate then maybe that’s a different story. I don’t think there should be any repercussions here. I know that’s not up to me just wanted to put my 3 cents in 

One of the best folks around CDC. The punishment is already self evident: picking roughly 130th on with all your picks. Tough break dude, it happens. This one year I fired myself at the draft table! Talk about embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

After some reflection and to be honest an incredible and long nap from shortly after my 45th overall pick until close to 7pm on draft day, I am back today to summarize the Seattle Kraken Draft. 

18th overall 1st round: LW Quentin Musty,  Sudbury Wolves OHL (we had him slotted as our 14th most desired draftee) An ASSIST PER GAME player in his 2nd OHL year, and put in a half a goal a game on top of that. coming in at 6'2", 190 pounds, Quentin will turn 18 in just under two weeks time, and yet his maturity and decision making and consistency have all experienced a massive growth spurt since New Years eve, to match his already prevalent hockey sense/cunning and almost unrivaled passing skills and amazing shooting tools. Could be the best player not picked in the top ten, and at 17 years of age, still has a lot of development ahead of him.

Musty’s upside is astronomical, and it has looked increasingly plausible that he’ll be able to hit it as the season has progressed.~Head of Scouting, Dobber Draft Team.

====================================================================================================================

20th overall 1st round: C Samuel Honzek, Vancouver Giants WHL (we had him 17th of our desired draftees list) At 18 years old, Samuel Honzek just finished his first North American season playing in Vancouver of the Western Hockey League and playing real good too. far beyond an ASSIST PER GAME player, Honzek also managed 23 goals in 43 games and has proven to be a tough puck protecting playmaker, his passing game builds largely off his deadly shot, keeping defenders guessing while having to go all the way around his hulking frame if they guess wrong. Finesse is not a word you hear often with a 6'4" center in his draft year, yet here we are and here he is, in Seattle's jersey for the foreseeable future.

December 2022 – Honzek has been one of the most productive draft-eligible players in the WHL this season, trailing only Connor Bedard and Andrew Cristall in scoring nearly halfway through the season.

====================================================================================================================

45th overall, 2nd round: D Beau Akey, Barrie Colts OHL (a week before the draft we had him 40th most desired in our rankings, then with each reshuffle he moved up a smidge higher and a smidge higher ultimately landing just outside our first round just minutes before the draft started) Beau just grew on us with each viewing. 44 points in 66 games from the blueline with a solid 6' in height and a Right Hand D. Skating Skating and Skating are three reasons we continuously bumped him up the charts, but I have to point out he has a lot of skills, and generally is very well rounded, which is exactly what one looks for in the only Dman we will draft this year, with our third pick in the draft. There were six more Dmen picked after us in the 2nd round, and we think we got the best of the seven, although in a tight field for sure.

A stickwork master class from Akey. Tight Gap, perfect posture, never over-extended. In a four second span he poked the puck away from the opponent twice before pivoting and stick lifting another."

The first two minutes of this video show why we drafted Beau Akey, the other 9 minutes and 40 seconds show why we picked him at 45th overall. 

All told, we felt the guys we got were gifted to us by other GM's drafting ahead of us, all three of them. A sturdy draft for my first time at the helm of the Kraken. 

Looking forward to seeing these kids in camp as we implement our systems and work to get all the levels of players in the Kraken family on the same page. 

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Tony Romo said:

Hello everyone,

I am incredibly embarrassed and ashamed that I missed the draft. On Friday I was at the Petan charity golf tournament and I was excited to tell all y'all that I golfed with Cliff Ronning and then Saturday came along and I just completely forgot about the draft. Dak called me but my phone was on silent and then I saw his text when it was already the 3rd round and I was too upset and ashamed to join mid way. I understand this is a big deal and if yall want to fire me I will understand. 

Sorry to hear you missed out on the Draft and extremely pleased to hear you are ok and all is well. That is the important part,  the league is always here and that pesky real life stuff always gets in the way.

Hope your not too set back by the missed earlier picks and all the best to you buddy!

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Les Glorieux!

Could contain: Helmet, People, Person, Adult, Male, Man, Crowd, Playing American Football, Face, Shirt

Habs reap massive windfall in franchise altering draft day.

There’s something very satisfying about seeing a long term investment pay off, even moreso when it pays off so handsomely.   Montreal Canadiens General Manager snowflake had taken a lot of flak in the media for the state of the Habs, a depressing low point for one of the most storied franchises in all of professional sports. Fans, media and whispers from around the league would on occasion refer to the roster as ‘sub NHL’, a statement that would be hard to argue with. But in Ali vs Foreman type fashion, Habs GM pulled off an epic rope-a-dope, scoring a big time knock out on draft day and launching the rebuild into warp speed.  Two years of deft contract management, aggressive trading and a little bit (read: a LOT) of luck culminated in an afternoon for the ages.

The afternoon started with a moment Habs fans have been dreaming of for years, hearing GM snowflake call Connor Bedards name first overall at the draft podium. The Regina Pats phenom has shown every earmarking of a true franchise player.  In a deep draft class where as many as 5 players would be a lock for the top pick any other year, Bedard stood head and shoulders above the rest.  Bedard instantly becomes the face of the franchise, and the Habs wasted no time, signing Bedard to a rookie max entry level contract before the draft had even concluded. This alone would be considered a successful draft by any standard, but the Habs were just warming up, immediately selecting University of Michigan star Adam Fantilli second overall.  The coveted combination of size, speed and skill, Fantilli took home the Hobey Baker award this year, only the third freshman ever to do so, joining Paul Kariya and Jack Eichel. Bedard and Fantilli form the cornerstones of a future Cup contender.  

Attention then shifted to the blue line, where Habs GM selected smooth skating defenceman Axel Sandin Pellikka with the 7th overall pick, then followed that up with a trade, flipping next years first rounder along with pick 19 to jump up to the 8th overall selection to draft 6’2 defender David Reinbacher. The duo have different styles that could potentially compliment each other well. Adding these two talents to a prospect group that already included Lian Bischel and Kevin Korchinski, and the Habs have a lot of options for a seemingly bright future on the blue line. 

Still not finished, Montreal used the 11th selection to take 6’3 right winger Matthew Wood and then grabbed Brayden Yager at 23rd overall.  Both players have very high ceilings, with offensive prowess in spades.  In total the Habs added 4 elite level forward prospects and the consensus two best defencemen available in the draft, all in the first round.  With one more selection, the Habs turned to the crease. Goaltender Trey Augustine was still available late in the 2nd round, and the Habs capitalized, landing the talented netminder 60th overall. Augustine posted one of the best goaltending seasons in NTDP history last year and has the kind of pedigree that could have him pegged as a future workhorse starter. 

And the cherry on top? Midway through the 1st round, after he’d finished adding 6 elite prospects to his club, GM snowflake was able to complete a contract for pending UFA defender Roman Josi, one of the top defencemen in the game. If you weren’t sure if the rebuild phase in Montreal was ending before, there should be no doubt now. While fans are deservedly enjoying the emotional wave of this weekend, Habs GM snowflake recognizes there’s a lot more work to be done. “We’ve added some great pieces, not just in the draft but with some trades and we were able to get some contracts done. But this is a tough league and we’re in a tough division. There’s still a hard road ahead, but we’re in as good a position as we can be.”

After the last few seasons, Habs fans can be forgiven for looking ahead a little. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1