The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Ilya Sorokin

5 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

This guy is a stud. A large reason that team was in the playoff hunt despite having little to no goal support.

I think he leads the league in number of shutouts for the past few seasons... by a mile.

this is from an article from January:

Last night, he added to that resume, registering his fourth shutout of the season and 14th of his career in just 109 starts. He has recorded a shutout in 12.8% of his starts, which is the best in NHL history (since 1943-44) among goalies with at least 100 starts.

he later recorded another two shutouts before the regular season ended

Edited by Rubik

2 minutes ago, Rubik said:

I think he leads the league in number of shutouts for the past few seasons... by a mile.

5 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

This guy is a stud. A large reason that team was in the playoff hunt despite having little to no goal support.

It helps having a really solid defensively structured team. 

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

This argument can be made for so many good players playing good. Petey's numbers are good. Helps that he has a great offensive structure behind him like Hughes, Miller and Kuzmenko. Some players are good and worth building around. Sorokin is one imo.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

sure, but still, while Varlamov's numbers aren't too shabby either, they are nowhere near Sorokin's, yet they play behind the same defense.

Edited by Rubik

Just now, JeremyCuddles said:

This argument can be made for so many good players playing good. Petey's numbers are good. Helps that he has a great offensive structure behind him like Hughes, Miller and Kuzmenko. Some players are good and worth building around. Sorokin is one imo.

I wasn’t saying he was inflated per say but rather in the best circumstances to succeed. 

Islanders are a great defensive team with a  great goalie. They sacrificed offensive though to get to that point hence additions like Horvat and I believe they may be looking for another offensive player. 

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I wasn’t saying he was inflated per say but rather in the best circumstances to succeed. 

Islanders are a great defensive team with a  great goalie. They sacrificed offensive though to get to that point hence additions like Horvat and I believe they may be looking for another offensive player. 

Sorry if I came at you, just felt like you were downplaying how good he is. I don't think just any goalie even on good defensive teams can put up Sorokin numbers. But it's true that it helps being on a good defensive team. I think Demko's numbers would be top 5 in the league if we weren't routinely icing AHL bluelines. Lets hope Soucy and Cole bring much needed stability so we can stop running Demko into the ground.

3 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Sorry if I came at you, just felt like you were downplaying how good he is. I don't think just any goalie even on good defensive teams can put up Sorokin numbers. But it's true that it helps being on a good defensive team. I think Demko's numbers would be top 5 in the league if we weren't routinely icing AHL bluelines. Lets hope Soucy and Cole bring much needed stability so we can stop running Demko into the ground.

It’s fine. I wasn’t very elaborate with that statement. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

He's their linchpin, that's a big contract

If Demko bounces back the way folks are hoping he will I reckon he'll cost this or more as we near the end of his deal 

This is why we have Silovs waiting in the wings. I imagine he will be ready for the starting job by then. 

13 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

This is why we have Silovs waiting in the wings. I imagine he will be ready for the starting job by then. 

Hopefully, wouldn't be surprised to see Demko traded at some point if management can line up a backup plan