The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Barnett might not be cleared to fight Fedor. This will be the second time he's had problems with banned substances if this turns out to be true. Barnett is one of the best ambassadors of the sport but always been plagued with these issues in the background. I sure hope this turns about differently. But I definitely doubt that it will. I would consider Josh Barnett probably top 4 best heavyweights in the last 10 years.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/fedor-bar...-jeopardy-18663

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

by Loretta Hunt (lhunt@sherdog.com)

Affliction Entertainment and M-1 Global are looking for a new opponent to face Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction “Trilogy” on Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Multiple sources have told Sherdog.com that the California State Athletic Commission will not license Josh Barnett after a positive result on a pre-fight test. Calls to the California State Athletic Commission and Affliction Entertainment were not immediately returned.

Barnett said he had not been notified of any issues with his eligibility as of Tuesday evening.

“I took my test three weeks ago. I would have thought I would have heard something by now,” Barnett told Sherdog.com.

However, the former UFC heavyweight champion said he had not checked his phone messages recently and later added, “No matter what happens with this, I can assure you I will clear my name. This will not be something that I am defined by.”

Vitor Belfort has agreed in principle to face the world’s No. 1 heavyweight on 11 days’ notice, according to two separate sources close to the negotiations. One source told Sherdog.com that Emelianenko will have the opportunity to choose between Belfort and Bobby Lashley. Lashley has denied knowing anything about replacing Barnett, though.

"I don't know if I would want it right now. Since the last fight, I haven't really been into training again," he said. "That fight is next week. That would be something I would really have to take a look at. To just jump in there probably wouldn't be the smartest thing for me right now. A lot of people would say that might be a money fight. They figure, 'If we give him enough money, will he do it?' That's what people tend to look at. I don't want to get into fighting for the money so much right now.

Belfort, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, is scheduled to face American Top Team standout Jorge Santiago in a middleweight bout on the Aug. 1 card.

As for badger dude. I have paid for one MMA ppv in my whole life. Totally overpriced. I likely will not do it again unless I'm going to watch it in person live. Your claim that somehow you are taking money from the average fighters is ludicrous. Their pays are figured in before the event takes place unless you are a headliner getting a cut of the ppv. But then you aren't an average fighter any more.

Edited by Harbinger

^^ I wonder if Barnett's positve test stems from his time in Pride and in Japan where performance enhancers were prevalent and not regulated

. His Original Positive test was in North America in the UFC. Pride has been done for almost 1.5 years now. Steroids don't give you positive readings after that long. If this is the case. He's just still doing them.

http://mmawaves.com/2009/07/17/floyd-maywe...s-sports-video/

Mayweather JR: "MMA is for beer drinkers"

This is why I dislike the Mayweathers, not just one of them, all of them. They go out of their way to ridicule someone or something else if it poses even the least bit of threat to them. This takes the cake though, Floyd Jr. clearly doesn't know what he's talking about (or he's purposefully saying false things to gain attention) as the upper weight classes in boxing are currently dominated by white fighters. He's the epitome of the selfish, arrogant, and spoiled athlete. I can't wait to see Pacquiao knock him out and shut him up.

A part of me actually wants UFC 103 to hurt the PPV sales of his match with Marquez that same night. Just so I could hear him cry.

Cant wait for Hendo Vs Franklin II :D

I am completely in the opposite on this one.

Such a pointless match. It's already been done, and Henderson won. Controversial, maybe. I just feel that this a fight that doesn't need to happen again between two guys both going in opposite directions in terms of weight class. Why have them meet again?? It's not like this was a solid headliner anyways the first time around. I feel bad for the people who bought tickets to this show.

Vitor Belfort has been announced as the replacement for Josh Barnett. Some of you may be thinking that it's an easy win for Fedor because of the size difference but, Fedor is a small heavyweight. He is only 6'0 which is the same as Vitor. Also, Vitor will probably way in around 205-215.

When is Patrick Cote comming back...

who will he fight ?

Not sure when he'll be back but, he said he wants to fight Bisping. However Bisping is already signed up to fight Wanderlei Silva and UFC 105. So we will either have to wait awhile to see Cote fight next if he really wants to fight Bisping or he will just have to fight someone else. He is fully healthy now though so expect him to fight in 2009.

Post #300!!

Edited by Hodgson91

This is why I dislike the Mayweathers, not just one of them, all of them. They go out of their way to ridicule someone or something else if it poses even the least bit of threat to them. This takes the cake though, Floyd Jr. clearly doesn't know what he's talking about (or he's purposefully saying false things to gain attention) as the upper weight classes in boxing are currently dominated by white fighters. He's the epitome of the selfish, arrogant, and spoiled athlete. I can't wait to see Pacquiao knock him out and shut him up.

A part of me actually wants UFC 103 to hurt the PPV sales of his match with Marquez that same night. Just so I could hear him cry.

I don't even know what he's so arrogant about anyway, forget about him knowing nothing about MMA, by historical standards he isn't even that good a boxer, he just had the benefit of a weak era. If this the '80s even he would have been no more than a 8-10th place contender/high end sparring partner in his prime at Lightweight.

I don't even know what he's so arrogant about anyway, forget about him knowing nothing about MMA, by historical standards he isn't even that good a boxer, he just had the benefit of a weak era. If this the '80s even he would have been no more than a 8-10th place contender/high end sparring partner in his prime at Lightweight.

He's also been accused of ducking some of the better fighters like Cotto, Mosley and Pacquiao. How do you think he would've done against a prime Julio Cesar Chavez, Duran or Leonard? I'm not sure I'd pick him in any of those fights.

Back to MMA though, I remember they interviewed a bunch of fighters regarding Floyd fighting in mma, only Shamrock seemed to think that he had a fighting chance to succeed.