The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

7 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

The only things that make me wonder about her future is her TKO loss to Cat Zingano and her lack of stamina that begins around the end of the second round.  Cat was able to absorb her punches and eventually win the fight in the 3rd.  Shevchenko, who beat Holm, could take the hits as well but lost to Nunes in a decision.

It seems to me like Nunes is a feast or famine type of fighter.  She's a terror for the first 8 minutes, but once the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds roll up, she's very human.  Kinda like the woman version of Conor McGregor in the octagon.

Yeah that's what most say, quick starter but probably gasses.  But I would also say she looks to be getting better.

4 hours ago, JV77 said:

Yeah that's what most say, quick starter but probably gasses.  But I would also say she looks to be getting better.

She seems to be fighting smarter than she used to.  When she slowed down against Shevchenko, she knew how to keep/protect her lead until the 3rd round was over.  I'm just curious to see her fight in the championship rounds.  Unless she fights Shevchenko again, I don't think we'll see that for a while though.  Zingano has lost her last 2 fights so she won't receive another shot at Nunes any time soon.

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

She seems to be fighting smarter than she used to.  When she slowed down against Shevchenko, she knew how to keep/protect her lead until the 3rd round was over.  I'm just curious to see her fight in the championship rounds.  Unless she fights Shevchenko again, I don't think we'll see that for a while though.  Zingano has lost her last 2 fights so she won't receive another shot at Nunes any time soon.

Most likely Nunes next fight is gonna be winner of Pena vs. Shevchenko.  They fight at the end of the month.

Pena is pretty tough and well rounded as well.  Undefeated in the UFC and won Ultimate Fighter.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Is Khahbib vs MacGregor next?

Khabib will most likely fight Ferguson and the winner will take on McGregor. 

Khabib has even offered to pay Ferguson 200K to take the fight if UFC doesn't put up the cash. Standard UFC drama with match ups...

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/2/14147982/tony-ferguson-if-khabib-nurmagomedov-is-willing-to-pay-me-but-the-ufc-wont-somethings-wrong-with

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 1

Well, that was hard to watch Ronda get dominated in boxing like that. Also, Vegas odds favouring her? lol... fighter gets outboxed badly and loses the belt, doesn't fight for a year, faces another boxer, they were betting for Ronda? That's definitely not how I'd bet.

Nunes was a bit cocky and seeing the news articles about it, I wasn't really happy to see her win. But after watching the actual event, she clearly trained better, was the superior striker and got paid a pittance compared to Rousey. I hope she gets her money and a few more title defences too--the womens' divisions have clearly progressed. It's not a limited fighters' division anymore.

Edit: limited as in Rousey dominating it with not a wide variety of MMA skills and relying on a couple of aspects of it.

Edited by Moonshinefe

11 hours ago, Moonshinefe said:

Well, that was hard to watch Ronda get dominated in boxing like that. Also, Vegas odds favouring her? lol... fighter gets outboxed badly and loses the belt, doesn't fight for a year, faces another boxer, they were betting for Ronda? That's definitely not how I'd bet.

Nunes was a bit cocky and seeing the news articles about it, I wasn't really happy to see her win. But after watching the actual event, she clearly trained better, was the superior striker and got paid a pittance compared to Rousey. I hope she gets her money and a few more title defences too--the womens' divisions have clearly progressed. It's not a limited fighters' division anymore.

Edit: limited as in Rousey dominating it with not a wide variety of MMA skills and relying on a couple of aspects of it.

One of those loop hole easy bets. I definitely made some money from that no-brainer bet. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Wonderboy vs. Woodley rematch UFC 209.

Dana White makes a public offer to Mayweather to fight McGregor after Mayweather said he would only come out of retirement to fight Conor....

Things are getting good again.

Except I am sure Mayweather will laugh at the 25 million offer. That fight will never happen. 

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Except I am sure Mayweather will laugh at the 25 million offer. That fight will never happen. 

It all depends on the PPV split.  If he stands to make up to an additional $50-$75 million in PPV then that's good money considering what his previous fight took in.

22 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It all depends on the PPV split.  If he stands to make up to an additional $50-$75 million in PPV then that's good money considering what his previous fight took in.

Floyd's ego is too big. He will want everything on HIS terms and he will want to be the A side. Mayweather Promotions vs Dana White, never going to happen. 

5 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Floyd's ego is too big. He will want everything on HIS terms and he will want to be the A side. Mayweather Promotions vs Dana White, never going to happen. 

If Floyd wants to grab one final huge payday, he better start negotiating soon then.  He isn't getting any younger.

Man, 209 is going to be lit.

Khabib vs Tony

Wonderboy/Woodley II.

Overeem/Hunt

Damn, son.

As much of a destroyer Khabib is and I like him, I want Tony to win that fight. Been a fan of his since his TUF days. Also want Wonderboy to win, but I don't mind Woodley at all. If he keeps KOing guys then I'm okay with that.

Overeem I've been a fan of for so long. His Pride days etc etc. I really hope he can make another run at the UFC belt, to cap off his career. I like Hunt too, but I'm just too much of an Overeem fan.

6 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

I know, I saw that yesterday shortly after it was posted.  I've been trying to figure out what kind of watch that is ever since I saw the video.

As soon as he thinks he can get anywhere near $100 million including PPV buys, he'll sign on the dotted line.  The question is though, will he do it before Conor loses another MMA bout?  If Conor loses another MMA match or two, a potential Mayweather fight will be in jeopardy.

5 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I know, I saw that yesterday shortly after it was posted.  I've been trying to figure out what kind of watch that is ever since I saw the video.

As soon as he thinks he can get anywhere near $100 million including PPV buys, he'll sign on the dotted line.  The question is though, will he do it before Conor loses another MMA bout?  If Conor loses another MMA match or two, a potential Mayweather fight will be in jeopardy.

I still say this never happens. It's a complete joke and disrespectful to the sport of boxing. Under strict boxing rules, this isn't even imaginable. You remember how Floyd's fight against Berto went? Times that by 10 and that's how boring and uneventful it would be. McGregor wouldn't be able to land a single punch and just get beaten by points. 

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

I still say this never happens. It's a complete joke and disrespectful to the sport of boxing. Under strict boxing rules, this isn't even imaginable. You remember how Floyd's fight against Berto went? Times that by 10 and that's how boring and uneventful it would be. McGregor wouldn't be able to land a single punch and just get beaten by points. 

Only one way to find out. 

I'm thinking that if he doesn't take this fight, by the time Mayweather actually needs the money, he'll be 45 and slow and will end up taking a fight against someone in MMA or boxing and get caught by a hard punch.  I may not be a Mayweather fan, but it would be sad to see that happen.

He spends money like water and even 9 figures can be spent if you spend it foolishly.