The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

There you have it folks.

Rod Laver is the only man in mens tennis history to win 2 of each of the grand slams.

Borg never won the US open. Sampras never won the french open. Becker neither. Agassi won all four.....with one win in Paris and Wimbledon.

Djokovic has won 3 of the 4. No French.

Federer has won a whopping 17 titles, but only 1 French.

Nadal now holds 13 titles , 2 Wimbledons, 2 US opens and a whopping 8 French open titles and an Australian.

If he can win one more Auzzie , he will be the only guy to win 2 in the open era. Even Laver won one of his slams as an Amateur.

Rafa is 5 years younger than Federer and only needs 4 slams to catch him. I think he can do it.

Damn I wonder what is wrong with Djokovic this year. He seems so different from last year and 2011 and commits so many unforced errors sometimes...

Yeah he's definitely not the same players as he was in 2011 eh?

But then again, 2011 set the bar a little too high. To win 3/4 Slams was unreal. I don't think anyone expected him to replicate that. It would have been nice for him to win a few more Masters 1000's though. His game is not what it used to be. More unforced errors, doesn't go for the high risk/high reward shots as often anymore, and spends too much time on the defensive. Will be interesting to see how he does in the remaining events, especially the ATP World Tour Finals.

Kudos to Rafa. I never thought he'd win another hard court Slam. I thought he only had a few more Roland Garros's left in him. He played well

• Upvote 1

Canada still holding it's own at the Davis Cup. Marvelous effort by Raonic to pull through in his match with a possible sprained ankle. Pospisil clearly outmatched by Djokovic, but then most people are.

The doubles match tomorrow is basically a must win, since a possibly injured Raonic doesn't have much chance of beating Djokovic especially on clay.

It might come down to Pospisil vs. Tipsarevic, the last match of the tie, to decide who wins and it'll be Pospisil's 3rd match in 3 days since he's playing in the doubles too with Nestor.

Yeah gutsy performance by Raonic today. That ankle sprain was nasty. Tough to watch on the replays.

Canada are the huge underdogs here. No one expects them to beat the powerhouse Serbians. But at least we're putting up a fight so far. Had Tipsarevic beat Raonic today it would have been a huge blow.

Also in Canadian tennis news, Eugenie Bouchard is into the semis of the Bell Challenge in Montreal. With those points she is now projected to crack the WTA's Top 50!

Can't wait!

There you have it folks.

Rod Laver is the only man in mens tennis history to win 2 of each of the grand slams.

Borg never won the US open. Sampras never won the french open. Becker neither. Agassi won all four.....with one win in Paris and Wimbledon.

Djokovic has won 3 of the 4. No French.

Federer has won a whopping 17 titles, but only 1 French.

Nadal now holds 13 titles , 2 Wimbledons, 2 US opens and a whopping 8 French open titles and an Australian.

If he can win one more Auzzie , he will be the only guy to win 2 in the open era. Even Laver won one of his slams as an Amateur.

Rafa is 5 years younger than Federer and only needs 4 slams to catch him. I think he can do it.

Just imagine if Rafa hadn't had the injury problems that he's had.

• 2 weeks later...

Raonic v. Del Potro in the Japan Open final today. If he wins it'll back to back titles for Raonic since he just won the Thailand Open less than a week ago.

Not to mention that since Tsonga (2nd round), Wawrinka (2nd round) and Gasquet (semis), all lost in either the Japan or China Open (which are happening concurrently), Raonic is gaining ground in both the world rankings and the ATP Race to London.

Edit: I did some quick math and if Raonic wins today, I think the rankings from 8 to 11 will be

8)Gasquet:3140

9)Wawrinka:3105

10)Tsonga:3070

11)Raonic:3015

and if he loses

8)Gasquet:3140

9)Wawrinka:3105

10)Tsonga:3070

11)Raonic:2815

Edited by Where's Wellwood

• 3 weeks later...