The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

******OFFICIAL BLACKBERRY THREAD******

i am a beast

On 5/26/2016 at 9:35 PM, kazin! said:

Can't you just connect via Bluetooth?

The phone itself will connect to Bluetooth with the car. So I can call out and receive calls through the car.  I can't send or receive texts however. 

Over the past month my classic became very glitchy. Over the weekend I picked up an S6 Edge. Telus had an offer where it coast me $50 bucks and I had to buy out my Blackberry. Starting to get used to the keyboard.  Miss Blackberry Hub and the track pad though. Gonna take a while to get used to not having them.

Stuck by Blackberry for roughly 7-8 years.  Finally had enough.  I'd like to think they will produce solid phones in the future, but I really doubt it at this point.

On 8/1/2016 at 6:57 PM, Grapefruits said:

The phone itself will connect to Bluetooth with the car. So I can call out and receive calls through the car.  I can't send or receive texts however. 

Over the past month my classic became very glitchy. Over the weekend I picked up an S6 Edge. Telus had an offer where it coast me $50 bucks and I had to buy out my Blackberry. Starting to get used to the keyboard.  Miss Blackberry Hub and the track pad though. Gonna take a while to get used to not having them.

Stuck by Blackberry for roughly 7-8 years.  Finally had enough.  I'd like to think they will produce solid phones in the future, but I really doubt it at this point.

Yep, I'm just like you. Miss the Hub so much. Android is quite inefficient compared to BB10. However, my Q10 started crapping out so it was time to move on. Fortunately my brother just had a spare Nexus 5 sitting around so I moved on to that. I wish the company well but I'm not holding my breath.

• 8 months later...

This phone is using Android OS, so it has all the same apps?

That was my biggest drawback from blackberry, but if they have all the same apps now I might give it a shot.

I have a LG4 now and love it, but the newer models don't Have the volume buttons on the back with the on/off button, and those were my favourite parts of this phone, so I could look for something new this summer.

1 hour ago, Hobble said:

This phone is using Android OS, so it has all the same apps?

That was my biggest drawback from blackberry, but if they have all the same apps now I might give it a shot.

I have a LG4 now and love it, but the newer models don't Have the volume buttons on the back with the on/off button, and those were my favourite parts of this phone, so I could look for something new this summer.

It's pretty much just stock Android plus a few BlackBerry features for "protection".

The KeyOne will cost a bit of a premium to afford and while I do wish to switch over to an Android phone, I don't really like their system.

My first smartphone was the iPhone 3G, then some Samsung Android phone, then onto BB10.... now I can't imagine life without a keyboard.  

I'm just a bit disappointed that they didn't make the KeyOne more top-of-the-line.  I know many will say, "I use a phone as a phone, not a toy"..... well, you can technically just survive on an old Nokia 8810 or whatever.

The higher the specs, you can delay purchasing an update an additional year or two.  

Since the Priv is pretty cheap nowadays, I'm actually thinking of getting one, even though they say the CPU is a bit flawed.  

On 4/27/2017 at 11:07 AM, Lancaster said:

It's pretty much just stock Android plus a few BlackBerry features for "protection".

The KeyOne will cost a bit of a premium to afford and while I do wish to switch over to an Android phone, I don't really like their system.

My first smartphone was the iPhone 3G, then some Samsung Android phone, then onto BB10.... now I can't imagine life without a keyboard.  

I'm just a bit disappointed that they didn't make the KeyOne more top-of-the-line.  I know many will say, "I use a phone as a phone, not a toy"..... well, you can technically just survive on an old Nokia 8810 or whatever.

The higher the specs, you can delay purchasing an update an additional year or two.  

Since the Priv is pretty cheap nowadays, I'm actually thinking of getting one, even though they say the CPU is a bit flawed.  

I had the Priv for about two weeks. I got it during the Black Friday sale when it cost $399. I returned it because it was just awkward. I'm used to Android now and BB10 isn't going to be improved, so at some point you gotta move on.

If you're considering the Priv, I'd certainly give it a whirl for a few weeks but make sure you have the possibility of returning it because it might not be what you think.

The KeyOne will certainly come at a premium, which is pretty ridiculous, but given there is nothing else on the market that is similar to it, I'll bite. The PKB is the most important thing for me.

2 hours ago, kazin! said:

I had the Priv for about two weeks. I got it during the Black Friday sale when it cost $399. I returned it because it was just awkward. I'm used to Android now and BB10 isn't going to be improved, so at some point you gotta move on.

If you're considering the Priv, I'd certainly give it a whirl for a few weeks but make sure you have the possibility of returning it because it might not be what you think.

The KeyOne will certainly come at a premium, which is pretty ridiculous, but given there is nothing else on the market that is similar to it, I'll bite. The PKB is the most important thing for me.

When you mean awkward, you mean the keyboard or maybe their version of the Android? 

I'm currently using the Passport and I really like the keyboard, but I have heard that the keyboard for the Priv isn't even close to be as good as other PKB phones. 

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

When you mean awkward, you mean the keyboard or maybe their version of the Android? 

I'm currently using the Passport and I really like the keyboard, but I have heard that the keyboard for the Priv isn't even close to be as good as other PKB phones. 

• The Priv keyboard is NOWHERE as good as the BB keyboards you're used to. It has little travel distance and the device isn't very balanced so it feels weird when it's slid out
  • The keyboard shortcuts you're used to on older BB keyboards (caps lock, num lock) don't work on Android. I absolutely hated trying to use caps lock or num lock.
  • The sliding mechanism feels quite awkward 
  • The device is pretty bulky and can run hot if you're using it for a while

If you like the Passport, I highly recommend you give the KeyOne a whirl when it comes out. The Priv doesn't cut it for a hardcore keyboard user.

On 4/27/2017 at 8:22 AM, kazin! said:

Wow bumping 8+ months later...

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/04/27/blackberry-keyone-preorder-may-18-canada/

Anyone getting this?

It's enticing as I've never really got used to my Galaxy S6 Edge keyboard.  Main reason I switched was because my Blackberry wouldn't work with my new Civic.  Even tried side loading android auto.

Looks very under powered so to speak  compared to even my S6.  Was really hoping the camera would be better. Though I know MP isn't the best comparison.

Will definitely look into it when it comes out though.

1 hour ago, Grapefruits said:

It's enticing as I've never really got used to my Galaxy S6 Edge keyboard.  Main reason I switched was because my Blackberry wouldn't work with my new Civic.  Even tried side loading android auto.

Looks very under powered so to speak  compared to even my S6.  Was really hoping the camera would be better. Though I know MP isn't the best comparison.

Will definitely look into it when it comes out though.

From what I've read, the sensor is the same as the Pixel. Obviously it doesn't have the software/hardware that the Pixel does, but perhaps an encouraging fact?

• 2 months later...

I got the keyone yesterday. I saw a bunch of reviews online and then 2 weeks ago I went to the mall and played around with it at a couple stores. I liked it and still wanted it so I decided to get it. Since I previously had a Curve with BB7 it's pretty exciting I can get a few apps I want.

Right now I need to find a case/screen protector for this thing. I'm happy with it so far, though I haven't really set it up yet. If there is interest I could update folks about this once I've had it for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2017 at 8:25 AM, otherwise said:

I got the keyone yesterday. I saw a bunch of reviews online and then 2 weeks ago I went to the mall and played around with it at a couple stores. I liked it and still wanted it so I decided to get it. Since I previously had a Curve with BB7 it's pretty exciting I can get a few apps I want.

Right now I need to find a case/screen protector for this thing. I'm happy with it so far, though I haven't really set it up yet. If there is interest I could update folks about this once I've had it for a while.

Please do. I'm curious how the processor is. Is it laggy if you have a few apps open?

How's the keyboard?

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, otherwise said:

I'll do it on the weekend :)

Don't worry about it. I waited long enough and still couldn't give the company my money. I got a Google Pixel for cheap and I'm going with that. If there's a KeyTWO down the road I will be intrigued, but this release was just awful.

Here is my brief review of the keyone...

I've had the phone for just over a month and still like it. It took a bit of time to get adjusted to the keyboard being in a line instead of two angled sections on my curve. I like the autocorrect and how you can add a word to the dictionary easily. I really like the camera and playing around with the light meter to get better shots based on the lighting situation. I was on vacation and took a ton of pics and I'm happy with how they turned out. I like that the whole keyboard is a track pad and I find that it really helps to decrease the amount you have to touch the screen. I like the size of the screen for reading news articles. I haven't found it laggy at all. The finger print reader is so good. It works much better than iphone 6s.

If anyone has a question, I'll do my best to answer.

8 hours ago, Psylocke said:

Never thought I'd see the day BlackBerry tries to make a comeback. 

This is already their 2nd time around. 

1st attempt was the BB10.

The 2nd started with the Priv.  

Apparently there's a limited edition all black version of the KeyOne with like 4gb and 64gb storage.  But it's only offered in India or something.  I'm actually tempted to buy one and ship it over here.  

17 hours ago, Psylocke said:

Never thought I'd see the day BlackBerry tries to make a comeback. 

It's really only partly BB but it's enough for me to make switching to android a happy experience.

on a slightly different note; has anyone seen those iphone ads talking about security-gives me a very mac vs. pc vibe of early 2000's... is that because of BB?

a thing I forgot to mention in my review is that normally on android when you install an app it lists the permissions the app wants access to. If you aren't okay with those permissions there isn't a way to disable overreaching requests like location or access to contacts, when it's not needed. With Keyone it will ask after the app has downloaded if you want to give permission for that app to use those type of things and you can deny access. Also with Dtek it will notify you if a certain app is accessing parts of your phone excessively. Which for me really interesting, handy and reassuring.

Archived