1792 replies to this topic

#1561 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

Tsunamis are rare, but dangerous events. Scientists and technical experts agree that areas around Greater Victoria are not seriously threatened by tsunamis. (source: PEP website)[/indent]http://www.victoria.ca/cityhall/pdfs/departments_veptsn_brchr.pdf

This is no longer credible information as the experts have admitted that they were completely wrong about Japan, and have just now gone right back to the drawing board regarding what is possible. For instance, it is possible that Vancouver Island could drop, just as the coast of Japan did, and this alone will change the equation. I do agree that Victoria is to some extent protected but it all depends on the size of this event when it happens. We could see these theories go out the window just as they did in Japan.

#1562 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:30 AM

Quakes have hit off Cuba, Japan and New Zealand.

http://news.blogs.cn...land/?hpt=hp_t2

Edited by aliboy, 15 September 2011 - 06:48 AM.

#1563 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

I've heard that there has also been a quake off Port Alice on Vancouver Island.

#1564 I_AM_CANUCKIAN

I_AM_CANUCKIAN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

There was:
An earthquake struck off the west side of Vancouver Island early Thursday morning, the second temblor to hit the area in less than a week.

However, the U.S. Geological Survey said the magnitude 4.0 quake was unlikely to do any damage and there are no reports of the earthquake being felt.

"This is likely an aftershock of the magnitude 6.3 earthquake of Friday, Sept. 9. There are no reports of damage, and none would be expected," said a statement from the USGS.

The quake struck at 4:02 a.m. ET, 91 kilometres west-southwest of Gold River, B.C. at a depth of 25 kilometres beneath the Earth's crust.

It was one of six quakes that struck between midnight and just after 4 a.m. along the Pacific Coast, from Baja, Mexico up to Alaska.

On Sept. 9, a more powerful magnitude 6.3 quake struck in the same location off Vancouver Island. That temblor was felt across southwest B.C. and Vancouver Island, in the city of Vancouver and as far away as Kelowna. It spawned more than 100 aftershocks, ranging from magnitude 4.9 down to as low as magnitude 1.

That quake was the most powerful to hit the area since Nov. 2, 2004 when a magnitude 6.6 quake occurred.

http://montreal.ctv....ub=MontrealHome

Posted Image

I AM CANUCKIAN

#1565 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

Foreshadowing to a bigger one or easing off pressure? Who knows?! Posted Image Posted Image

#1566 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

Tremor swarms occur about every 14 months along the cascadia fault, the last one ended in September of last year, the next is due soon. Scientists believe that these swarms may be the catalyst that sets off the big one, as in a swarm begins and then it all lets go. So, if it's going to be this year, it could be anytime now and those quakes running right up the coast of North America could be precurser quakes, hard to say.

#1567 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

Tremor swarms occur about every 14 months along the cascadia fault, the last one ended in September of last year, the next is due soon. Scientists believe that these swarms may be the catalyst that sets off the big one, as in a swarm begins and then it all lets go. So, if it's going to be this year, it could be anytime now and those quakes running right up the coast of North America could be precurser quakes, hard to say.

The ETS (episodic tremor and slip)? Is that what you're talking about? Some earthquake blogger said it may have started sooner than normal (august). I remember posting it somewhere a few weeks ago, but i don't know how much credibility that person warrants. Still interesting.

#1568 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

Are you sure that wasn't August of last year??

There has now been a 7.3 near Fiji.

Edited by aliboy, 15 September 2011 - 02:21 PM.

#1569 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

Is this the one from 2010??

http://thedailybite....ay-be-starting/

#1570 I_AM_CANUCKIAN

I_AM_CANUCKIAN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

I am not a fear seeking individual, but I have been thinking of something hitting us hard really soon these days. I hope I am wrong.

Posted Image

I AM CANUCKIAN

#1571 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

I believe that this is the show that has the mud core data, very new information.

http://watch.discove...e-we-there-yet/

If your new to this thread and haven't seen this program on discovery channel, you should watch it here. It's the latest earthquake data mainly from the Canadian & US Geological Survey Scientists and the data is mind blowing.

Edited by aliboy, 15 September 2011 - 02:22 PM.

#1572 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

Are you sure that wasn't August of last year??

There has now been a 7.3 near Fiji.

data from the fiji quake: http://earthquake.us.../usc0005vcv.php
What the F is going on?

Some fearmongering earthquake music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6UdGgeYB3M

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 15 September 2011 - 03:28 PM.

#1573 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

Is this the one from 2010??

http://thedailybite....ay-be-starting/

Is this the ETS blog you were talking about??

#1574 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

Is this the ETS blog you were talking about??

yeah, that looks about right. Posted Image

#1575 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

OK, so that was for last year, ending in September, so this year we could start anytime between now and the end of November, which makes those quakes up the coast last night a little more interesting, as the timing is just about right.

#1576 Sully2Cool

Sully2Cool

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:15 PM

I heard on the news that the Big one is one it's ay it is just the matter of time or when.
Posted Image

#1577 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,894 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

I heard on the news that the Big one is one it's ay it is just the matter of time or when.

Do you have a link to the news?

307mg00.jpg

#1578 Sully2Cool

Sully2Cool

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

Do you have a link to the news?

No i heard it on CTV News Not sure if there s a link to it.
Posted Image

#1579 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

OK, so that was for last year, ending in September, so this year we could start anytime between now and the end of November, which makes those quakes up the coast last night a little more interesting, as the timing is just about right.

sorry, i found the blog from this year. http://www.pnsn.org/...summer2011.html

#1580 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,039 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:51 PM

They've been saying that ever since the San Fransisco quake of '89. And I'm sure long before that one as well. It could happen, it may never happen in our lifetimes.

#1581 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

They've been saying that ever since the San Fransisco quake of '89. And I'm sure long before that one as well. It could happen, it may never happen in our lifetimes.

Very, very high chance that it will happen in the next 200 years. I'm super dramatic so I buy into this whole 4 corners earthquake thinger. It's coming!! Posted Image Posted Image

#1582 Sully2Cool

Sully2Cool

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:00 PM

I just heard on the radio they said we should ALL be Prepared at ALL times for the Big One.:frantic: :shock:
Posted Image

#1583 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 73,894 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

I just heard on the radio they said we should ALL be Prepared at ALL times for the Big One.:frantic: :shock:

Probably on the Island.

307mg00.jpg

#1584 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:18 PM

Probably on the Island.

parts of the lower mainland should be included in that too. some of those old buildings will fold faster than the atlanta thrashers. downtown van is going to be hellish.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 15 September 2011 - 10:18 PM.

#1585 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:25 PM

If you would watch the program I posted the link to you would know this is no longer the case. They now have mud core data going back thousands of years that show the same pattern over and over again, with 4-5 monster quakes every several hundred years. These quakes come in groupings and we are right in the midst of the latest grouping, the boxing day tsunami quake was #1, chile was #2 and Japan was #3, at least one more to come, and the last is always the biggest, up the 3x bigger than the rest. The next quake WILL happen within the next few years, 5 years at the outside, but likely sooner and could happen anytime now. They also now know that the cascadia fault and the san andreas fault are part of the same giant fault and expect it will be the next to go, could be 9.0 to 9.4 earthquake from right off Vancouver Island straight down to san fransico and LA. There is no maybe about it.

#1586 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

If you would watch the program I posted the link to you would know this is no longer the case. They now have mud core data going back thousands of years that show the same pattern over and over again, with 4-5 monster quakes every several hundred years. These quakes come in groupings and we are right in the midst of the latest grouping, the boxing day tsunami quake was #1, chile was #2 and Japan was #3, at least one more to come, and the last is always the biggest, up the 3x bigger than the rest. The next quake WILL happen within the next few years, 5 years at the outside, but likely sooner and could happen anytime now. They also now know that the cascadia fault and the san andreas fault are part of the same giant fault and expect it will be the next to go, could be 9.0 to 9.4 earthquake from right off Vancouver Island straight down to san fransico and LA. There is no maybe about it.

stop scaring us man...

your no expert in this field so honestly
Posted Image

#1587 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 73,894 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

parts of the lower mainland should be included in that too. some of those old buildings will fold faster than the atlanta thrashers. downtown van is going to be hellish.

Richmond? Ouch.

307mg00.jpg

#1588 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,039 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:25 PM

meh, nothing is certain in life, and I'm not going to worry about it. Patterns change.

#1589 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:35 AM

stop scaring us man...

your no expert in this field so honestly

The program is from Discovery channel and it is full of experts from the Canadain and US Geological Survey, they are the experts, they are the ones saying here is the new information.

#1590 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

Richmond? Ouch.

What's Richmond? Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.