The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Has anyone heard anything new on the seating configuration at BC Place for soccer? As many of you know by now a CFL field is a good 40 yards longer than the NFL thus the reason for the big gaps at the ends of the pitch between the seating.

I always got the impression that BC Place could fill that gap with staggered seating because during it's CFL layout the endzone seating is raised quite high and it looks as though they could add staggered seating on the endzones for soccer matches or the odd american football game.

Even if they can't, I am sure they can figure something out for that area. Even Qwest field has pretty large gaps behind the goal.

I believe they will have retractable seats so the Whitecaps will have seats in the ends that extend further in.

Gershon Koffie - Will now miss the next 3 games because he has been called up to the U20 Ghana squad. Was going to miss one originally for suspension.

Koffie doesn't serve his suspension until he returns from the U20, so he'll miss 4 MLS games, but we could probably see him in the Nutrilite before the 4th MLS game.

so, is Harris the most useless player on the starting XI now?

The media was in love with him for scoring his 2 goals, but they were the easiest of goals. I guess the same could be same about Hassli, but at least he seems dangerous (perhaps for both teams) when he is on the field. I personally think that Harris is the fourth best striker we have right now, that's right, I have seen more from Salgado in his preseason play when he was along side with Harris, then I have seen in every moment of Harris this season.

• Upvote 1

so, is Harris the most useless player on the starting XI now?

The media was in love with him for scoring his 2 goals, but they were the easiest of goals. I guess the same could be same about Hassli, but at least he seems dangerous (perhaps for both teams) when he is on the field. I personally think that Harris is the fourth best striker we have right now, that's right, I have seen more from Salgado in his preseason play when he was along side with Harris, then I have seen in every moment of Harris this season.

I can't stand Atiba Harris! He had countless chances in the first three games and hes missed so many clear cut opportunities. The sooner Harris is off the starting XI, the sooner we pot more goals. I just wish Hassli would stop getting red cards and get back into the lineup. This team is better than their 1-2-2 record, aside from yesterday's game in Houston where they looked like they didn't want to be there.

Its too bad that guys like Thorrington, Salinas and Nanchoff have been hurt from the get-go. I can't wait to see what they can do.

I certainly hope we are better than our record, but I am fearing one thing, and that is that we aren't actually that good, but that the players are able to feed off of the energy of the home crowds. The 3 home games, we have been filled with energy, and seemed like they would run though a brick wall for the fans, whereas both the away games, they have seemed average at best.

If that is true, I am quite worried, but also kinda proud...

I certainly hope we are better than our record, but I am fearing one thing, and that is that we aren't actually that good, but that the players are able to feed off of the energy of the home crowds. The 3 home games, we have been filled with energy, and seemed like they would run though a brick wall for the fans, whereas both the away games, they have seemed average at best.

If that is true, I am quite worried, but also kinda proud...

TFC effect.

BMO Field has had great stretches of being a fortress, where TFC will take away tons of points. But then suck ass on the road, and miss the play offs.

Home field is huge in MLS.

I believe Harris is starting by default. Hassli needs to smarten up and Camilo can only be so effective at his height. Without Hassli, it seems as though when Chiumiento is in, he's been given the green light to attack from wherever to help compensate for Camilo's lack of size. Once Salgado is ready to start, possibly late this season, I think Harris gets benched.

I believe Harris is starting by default. Hassli needs to smarten up and Camilo can only be so effective at his height. Without Hassli, it seems as though when Chiumiento is in, he's been given the green light to attack from wherever to help compensate for Camilo's lack of size. Once Salgado is ready to start, possibly late this season, I think Harris gets benched.

hopefully that is sooner rather than later.

I don't know why people are complaining about Harris. He has two goals, maybe not the prettiest, but he has been in the right place at the right time. He's tied for 2nd in assists and tied for the lead for GWG. Even on Camilo's goal against Houston, he put in a good effort to keep himself onside. Sometimes what he does when he doesn't have the ball is a big factor as well. I agree Harris has made some frustrating plays, but he's hardly been the one to blame on a team that has had pretty good offense so far. Not the first time CDC singles out one player for absolutely no reason though.

Harris works the hardest on the team, he doesn't give up, doesn't dive, I love him. He wins us lots of fouls too (a lot of which should have been red cards or bookings at the least... not even called). I respect players like him.

I'm getting sick of Camilo though. Refs are already catching on to all his shenanigans and not calling anything when he goes to the ground.

As far as I'm concerned, Camilo is almost too small to be a forward. I'd play him just behind Hassli, assuming he can stay on the pitch, with Chiumiento on the wing, Salinas, if he ever gets healthy, opposite Chiumiento.

Teibert may be needed on the backline if Demerit's groin continues to be a problem.

As far as I'm concerned, Camilo is almost too small to be a forward. I'd play him just behind Hassli, assuming he can stay on the pitch, with Chiumiento on the wing, Salinas, if he ever gets healthy, opposite Chiumiento.

Teibert may be needed on the backline if Demerit's groin continues to be a problem.

Camilo's 3 goals beg to differ.

You must be thinking of someone else. I don't think of our our possible options that Teibert will be the one chosen to play on our backline.

Camilo's 3 goals beg to differ.

You must be thinking of someone else. I don't think of our our possible options that Teibert will be the one chosen to play on our backline.

I said almost too small. He's great with the ball at his feet, but I'm not convinced that he's physical enough to take on some of the better MLS defenders.

Since you brought it up, let's look at his 3 goals.

The first, against Sporting KC, started with a sweet pass from Dunfield to spring Chiumiento down the right, and a short pass to Camilo and a pretty simple finish. To me, a lot of the credit on his second against SKC, goes to Harris and Khalfan. Harris for the takeaway, and Khalfan for the picture perfect cross, and a great reaction by Camilo for the header. His third goal, and only Whitecaps goal against Houston, was another slick feed by Chiumiento to spring Camilo on a short break.

As for Teibert, I could be mistaken, but I could've sworn he spent some time this year on the backline. I could've been hallucinating.........

My 11 (if everyone was healthy):

Rochat - Demerit - Boxall - Leathers

Chiumiento - Thorrington - Dunfield - Salinas

Camilo - Hassli

Bench:

Cannon

Knight

Khalfan

Teibert

Wagner

Harris

Salgado

I'd have Camilo offset and slightly behind Hassli so that he (Camilo) to latch onto long balls by Salinas and Chiumiento and have Hassli as an outlet. It's a hybrid 4-4-2, but not a true 4-4-1-1.

Edited by Canuck_4_Life

We are better then our record, every game minus the one vs Houston, we outplayed the other team.

and vs the union. in my humble opinion, we haven't looked much better than our team last year when we are on the road.

I am getting a little concerned about this year, but I think I am getting attached to much to how they played the game before. I am sure that if they beat Chivas, I will be confident they are making the play-offs, even if Chivas is someone we should beat.

I said almost too small. He's great with the ball at his feet, but I'm not convinced that he's physical enough to take on some of the better MLS defenders.

Since you brought it up, let's look at his 3 goals.

The first, against Sporting KC, started with a sweet pass from Dunfield to spring Chiumiento down the right, and a short pass to Camilo and a pretty simple finish. To me, a lot of the credit on his second against SKC, goes to Harris and Khalfan. Harris for the takeaway, and Khalfan for the picture perfect cross, and a great reaction by Camilo for the header. His third goal, and only Whitecaps goal against Houston, was another slick feed by Chiumiento to spring Camilo on a short break.

Almost every goal scored by our strikers have been due to fine service. In general, without good service, goals will be difficult to produce. Sure for his goals, it didn't require any serious physical battles, but he knows his limitations and is finding the right places to be to be tied as our leading scorer. I think his second goal showed his ability to get in the tough areas and getting a header for a guy his size should not be ignored. I agree that there has been some great passes for these goals, but not everyone has the killer instinct after receiving the passes.

Look at Hassli's goals, none have been a result of using his large size. His first two were off nice feeds to give him basically wide open tap ins. His third goal was a result of Camilo's work to draw the penalty in the box (dive or not is another debate).

While Camilo has been up front, especially in the SKC game, it allowed him to be first on the ball and use his creativity to get into the box and make plays. Pushing him back into the middle could work, but I have no problem with his role right now. Although, my only complaint is his diving is getting to be a bit much.

Whitecaps FC set to make major announcement:

My link

anyone have any idea what this might be?

Possibly something to do with the reserves games and where they might be played and if it's a closed door event or not. Just my prediction as their is a reserves game on Sunday and there seems to be no information on it.

Whitecaps FC set to make major announcement:

My link

anyone have any idea what this might be?

They've been talking about announcing a friendly with a big club this summer, so it's probably that

Killa's probably right. This guy is saying that it's Manchester City that's going to be coming here for a friendly on July 25th. I'm not able to find anything on Google News, MCFC's site nor their Twitter account. We'll find out if this is true tomorrow.

Vancouver WhiteCaps vs. Manchester City, Amistoso el proximo 25 de Julio en el Empire Field Vancouver (Canada). CONFIRMADO

Source