The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

I watched the news until midnight and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I haven't been on CDC today until now and haven't heard when the players managed to get out of Rogers Arena and how they got home. I heard on the Team 1040 at about 11:00 AM that the Bruins had landed in Boston. I don't understand when and how they managed to get out of the downtown core. It must have been well after midnight.

Does anyone know anything about the players getting out? I know there was a performance at the Queen Elizabeth Theater and they kept the patrons safely inside while the stupidity was going on.

VPD Chief Jim Chu's take. There are calls for his resignation over his handling of the riot.

Vancouver's police chief blamed "anarchists and criminals" for the riot after the Canucks' Game 7 Stanley Cup final loss Wednesday night, and said he was pleased with the way officers dealt with the situation.

Chief Jim Chu said the mayhem was stopped within three hours, about half the time it took to deal with the 1994 Stanley Cup riot, despite the bigger crowd Wednesday.

He said many off-duty officers came in after seeing the violence on television, and nine suffered injuries from thrown objects and being bitten.

Chu said almost 100 people were arrested, and he expects more arrests as the public provide tips, video and photos of what happened.

He said 15 vehicles were set on fire, including two police cars.

The chief referred to those who took part in the riots as "young men and women disguised as Canucks fans who were actually criminals and anarchists. These were people who came equipped with masks, goggles and gasoline, even fire extinguishers that they would use as weapons."

Chu said many had also been arrested in violent protests in last year's Winter Olympics.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Vancouver+chief+blames+Stanley+riot+anarchists/4957678/story.html

And a report in the Toronto Star:

Vancouver Police Chief Jim Chu says he would have had more police deployed to the city’s downtown core if he had known the scale of rioting and destruction that was about to ensue following the Canuck’s devastating 4-0 loss to the Boston Bruins in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

“When there’s a large number of criminals and anarchists that have a common purpose and intent to break the law, it’s very difficult to stop that,” Chu told reporters in Vancouver Thursday. “The crowd was quite large and it was hard to get in to do anything effectively.”

He said those responsible for the wide-ranging destruction “hid their actions” among law-abiding citizens.

Shortly after 8 p.m. Wednesday, hundreds of angry fans rampaged through downtown streets, setting cars and garbage bins on fire, smashing store windows, looting shops and fighting.

About 100 people were treated at the downtown St. Paul’s hospital, most from reaction to tear gas police sprayed in the crowd. There were a handful of stabbings and one reported serious injury when a man fell from a height of three storeys near Rogers Arena.

Chu was grilled by reporters, who questioned why police weren’t able to get the crowds under control sooner — especially given that a similar riot that occurred in 1994 when the Canucks lost in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals to the New York Rangers.

The chief defended his force, saying Wednesday’s riot was brought under control in three hours, whereas the 1994 chaos lasted six hours.

“The goal of our crowd-control-unit officers . . . was to suppress the riot,” he said. “We got the situation stabilized in three hours. That was our objective. In 1994, it took almost six hours for that riot to be stopped. We had triple the number of rioters last night.”

He added that the crowds of rioters were made up mainly of young people, unlike the crowds of families and tourists that the city saw during the post-Olympics celebrations.

At the press conference, Vancouver Assistant Fire Chief Wade Pierlot assured citizens that every fire on the ground was prioritized based on its severity. He said while there were situations in which it may have appeared fire services personnel were not responding, crews had to be careful not to become entrenched within crowds.

“There were times it appeared the fire trucks were moving away,” he said. “This is by design. Our fire trucks cannot afford to be entrenched amongst crowds where they can’t move and respond.”

It has become increasingly clear that the damage was inflicted by a large number of people and not the “small group of troublemakers” that Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson blamed last night.

“I’ve seen things get out of hand, but not like this, with so many young people thinking they could get away with it,” said Delvin Larson, who is lives at the Catholic mission for men at the corner of Georgia and Cambie Sts.

Larson joined the estimated 100,000 people who had begun arriving downtown earlier in the day Wednesday to watch the game at outdoor plazas designated as fan zones. But as soon as cars were set on fire in front of the Canada Post headquarters, he said he decided to leave.

Many families who had come downtown to watch the game left early or right after the game, leaving only younger groups of men and women, hyped up on alcohol and fuelled to show off in front of each other.

One young woman last night who jumped on a trashed police car to flash her breasts replied when asked by the Toronto Star why she did it said: “My friends told me to. It’s all fun.”

Dozens of people took her picture on their camera phones while she posed on top of the vehicle.

Matthew Kurtenbach, who was at the riot last night, said he and his friends were there but none of them did anything.

“I could see how easily it would be to have that mentality of hey, everyone’s doing it. But really all of us just looked at it and thought it was disgusting.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/1009755--criminals-and-anarchists-difficult-to-stop-vancouver-police-chief?bn=1

For a moment last night, I thought we might loose with dignity. Giving Thomas and Lucic standing ovations. Only 15 minutes later, I see the these riots. It's a down right shame that a hand full of these fools, went out to the game last night only to cause chaos. The group of idiots who looted, burned and destroyed for the sake of a loss, have put a black mark not only on the city but on the Canucks Franchise. I wish that I could take part in the cleanup today to show what true Canuck fans are like.

Mark my words, there will NEVER be outdoor screenings downtown or wherever holding crowds as big as this if we ever make it back to the WFC, SFCs.

I live in Surrey and yeah, we were devastated but at the end of the day we took our sht and left the Surrey Plaza in peace.

I watched the news until midnight and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I haven't been on CDC today until now and haven't heard when the players managed to get out of Rogers Arena and how they got home. I heard on the Team 1040 at about 11:00 AM that the Bruins had landed in Boston. I don't understand when and how they managed to get out of the downtown core. It must have been well after midnight.

Does anyone know anything about the players getting out? I know there was a performance at the Queen Elizabeth Theater and they kept the patrons safely inside while the stupidity was going on.

A well-intentioned citizen attempted to stop the looting at the Bay and was beaten:

Crowd Attacks Man During Vancouver Riot

A man attempting to halt the looting and destruction of a storefront is attacked and severely beaten by the riotous crowd (relevant portion of video begins at 3:15 - Warning: Graphic Video)

http://www.realradio...article=8715092

Vancouver Province riot photo gallery:

http://www.theprovin...4850/story.html

And videos:

http://www.theprovin...deos/video.html

Global TV video - there is a seven part raw video presentation:

Part I (other parts are accessible from this page)

http://www.globaltvb...vV122wCXmGMUJs7

Global photo galleries:

Rioters exposed:

http://www.globaltvb...7984/story.html

General riot photos:

http://www.globaltvb...5914/story.html

Everything that happened in the arena was pure class from our fans! Outside, not quite as much...

A few things I'd like to add as an "outsider" on these riots:

1) People said here that it is not worse than what's going on in Europe (I suppose they mean soccer). We may have more hooligans who fight each other, but the full-scale destruction of shops, public property and cars has been very, very rare in the last decade (I can't recall such a thing after the shame of the World Cup 98, where German hooligans rioted in Lens/France and almost killed a French cop).

2) Don't give up on Vancouver! I still envy everyone on these boards who lives there, because it's such a great city. Be proud of it and take good care of it!

3) Some say it was organized by non-hockey fans, and some say that too many Canucks "fans" were involved. Actually, both things are true: You have a group of professional rowdies and gangsters who start the destruction, and automatically, there are some not so intelligent individuals who join in. That's what happened yesterday.

4) Alcohol and big screens don't cause these things alone. If you want to have big screens, you need to build a fence around them and control everyone who wants to join the party. No weapons, bottles or other dangerous items should be allowed. Actually, I can't believe that a well-organized country like Canada has no such thing as a security check on viewing parties... Alcohol should only be sold within the zones, not more than two cups per customer at once.

I really hope that everything will be in its place very soon.

Clearly he rigged it. Boston is in the US, therefore the Bruins are automatically favoured (the league hates Canada). Add in the fact that Jeremy Jacobs is one of the ultimate power brokers in the league, you don't need any concrete evidence to convict Bettman! :rolleyes:

I'm not gonna read 377 posts... but here is my view. I was there last night.

I'm a die hard fan for almost 8 years now. I watched all 7 finals games DT. One thing everyone should know....

ATLEAST %75 of the DT viewing population is complete bandwagon fans with no hockey knowledge. These guys bought jerseys just for the playoffs... I'm also positive %95 of the rioters consisted of these guys or people that didn't know the FIRST thing about hockey. I guarantee you 20% of the crowd was just watching their first or second hockey game. THATS IT.

Real Canucks fans didn't riot. These guys had no reason to be frustrated... they didn't know sh**... they didn't know how we were done unfairly by the NHL in the previous games... and series... and years! They're only reason was to get drunk. I also know for a fact people saying things like... who cares about hockey I like soccer (or w.e other sport) lets just go looting/rioting.

THIS RIOT WAS NOT A REFLECTION ON ANY TRUE FAN.

Archived