Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Who Is The Ultimate SuperHero?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
330 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Is The Ultimate SuperHero?

Should The Silver Surfer be allowed as a selection choice?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#211 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

Ok, ok, I won't try and defend Apocalypse as an anti-hero but I do see him in the same vein as Magneto ie. somewhat tragic figures.

Don't know where you are getting this perspective from. Apocalypse is one of the most evil characters in the entire comic universe. His only goal is to rule the world. In the Age of Apocalypse after reaching this goal, he then went about exterminating all humans since he felt they were beneath him. He had some bad stuff happen to him....like 5000 years ago. Since then everything he has done has been pure evil and he has not done one even remotely good thing.

Surfer, though I haven't read much in 10 years, was a very self interested person that lacked attachment and therefore never has the altruism of most superheroes. The Hulk, the normal one, never had an ounce of heroism about him. He was always just a force of nature.

The Surfer seems cold but he's actually quite concerned for the innocent. He was traumatized by his own creation and doesn't want the same fate to happen to other innocent planets.

The Surfer foudned the Defenders, a group dedicated to fighting evil.

What about Spawn? He's virtually unbeatable based on his nature of existence.

He's from Image comics. The contest calls for only DC/Marvel heros. Also, Spawn's power is limited in ability and he only has so much of it.

Back on topic, I think we are overestimated Surfer's speed. While fast on Earth, he can only travel at extreme speeds while in space. As for people who could take him down, I'm going to nomiate any of the other Galactus heralds:

http://en.wikipedia....ald_of_Galactus

Specifically, Nova and Fire-Lord who are heroes now.

#212 Tyler18

Tyler18

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

Galactus is a slow piece of crap. SS is still faster. Along with speed he has the ability "telepathic ability, including mind-reading on occasion, and has proven to be able to influence human emotion and sensation." - Annihilation: The Nova Corps Files #1 (Oct. 2006) and since Hulk's anger makes
him stronger, he could just influence Hulk to a calmer state, and than swoop down for the attack.

Than there is his ability to "utilize the Power Cosmic to augment his superhuman strength to indeterminate levels." - Fantastic Four #55 (Oct. 1966) could easily make himself stronger than what Hulk presently is/make himself stronger than millions of nuclear weapons.

When the hulk defeated SS he was weakened. But.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Remember as well that SS could easily absorb all the gamma radiation of the hulk!

Posted Image

http://i871.photobuc...279/ddndiesel/7
90566-silversurfer199712528ty9_super.jpg

SS all the way!

Well that's pretty good, but Bruce Banner being a scientist would find a way to remove the surfer from his board like reed Richards did in Fantastic 4 two, giving the surfer no power allowing Hulk to smash the surfer into bits.

#213 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

Silver Surfer cannot defeat She-Hulk because if he does change her mood and she is not angry anymore she will become a human again right?

But, once she becomes a human and sees the Silver Surfer coming in to attack her she will be scared and fear will take over which also turns Jennifer Walters into She-Hulk. The Silver Surfer will have a very hard time with the She-Hulk!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#214 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

I support Thor. But if he falls under the no gods rule, has anybody picked wonder woman?

Yeah, it's a toss up whether to have Thor or not. On one hand we could have him without his use of magic and mystical powers, and just have him with his his regular strength and speed and stamina, etc....

or, we get rid of him completely.

I'm in favour of keeping him in the game because his strength is that of Hulk's and others.....but we need to put a leash on his magic.

If the majority think it's fine to keep him, i'll add him to the list.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#215 thatguy17

thatguy17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, it's a toss up whether to have Thor or not. On one hand we could have him without his use of magic and mystical powers, and just have him with his his regular strength and speed and stamina, etc....

or, we get rid of him completely.

I'm in favour of keeping him in the game because his strength is that of Hulk's and others.....but we need to put a leash on his magic.

If the majority think it's fine to keep him, i'll add him to the list.

I'd probably support keeping him in the game but I feel that if you take away his mystical and magic abilities there is no way he is the "ultimate superhero"
Posted Image

#216 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

I'd probably support keeping him in the game but I feel that if you take away his mystical and magic abilities there is no way he is the "ultimate superhero"

He's got some crazy magical powers though.....just sayin.

Great Knowledge of Magic: During Ragnarok, Thor acquired knowledge and use of the Runes which granted him a virtually infinite supply of mystical power and spells in addition to his other powers, considerably honing his long undeveloped vast magical potential.

No magic for Thor and I think he's ok, and again if the majority think he's ok to be included that way.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 11 July 2011 - 10:43 PM.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#217 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

can thor use mjolnir?

i think somewhere earlier you said that someone couldn't use their weapon because it made them ridiculously strong

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#218 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

can thor use mjolnir?

i think somewhere earlier you said that someone couldn't use their weapon because it made them ridiculously strong

It's a magical weapon....so probably not.

I'll let the majority decide it....it's up to you guys if you want Thor and his hammer in play.

But Silver Surfer does have his board, so why couldn't Thor keep his hammer?

Edited by Sharpshooter, 11 July 2011 - 10:57 PM.

#219 thatguy17

thatguy17

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:07 PM

It's a magical weapon....so probably not.

I'll let the majority decide it....it's up to you guys if you want Thor and his hammer in play.

But Silver Surfer does have his board, so why couldn't Thor keep his hammer?

That silver surfer thing is a very good point.
I think its just the identity of the character without their weapon

Silver surfer- surfboard= not really silver surfer anymore

Thor-mjolnir=just Thor without a hammer or not really thor?

Edited by thatguy17, 11 July 2011 - 11:09 PM.

Posted Image

#220 Charlie.the.Unicorn

Charlie.the.Unicorn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:56 PM

Anyone said Nate Grey or Franklin Richards? Or if you really want to get into it, although not a Hero per say, Onslaught is the King of all Marvel characters.

#221 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:09 AM

Onslaught < Lobo

Posted Image

#222 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:15 AM

Anyone said Nate Grey or Franklin Richards? Or if you really want to get into it, although not a Hero per say, Onslaught is the King of all Marvel characters.

Richards has been, but both Richards and Grey are at the cosmic level of power or are Omega level characters......and just beyond the parameters of the type of SuperHeros we're talking about in this thought experiment.

It's like saying who's the strongest human on Earth and then you saying Hercules and Jesus.

They're just a bit beyond the scope of what the contest allows.

#223 iLoveRunningMan

iLoveRunningMan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

Silver Surfer cannot defeat She-Hulk because if he does change her mood and she is not angry anymore she will become a human again right?

But, once she becomes a human and sees the Silver Surfer coming in to attack her she will be scared and fear will take over which also turns Jennifer Walters into She-Hulk. The Silver Surfer will have a very hard time with the She-Hulk!

I think hulk/she hulk's greatest weakness is there emotion which can easily be manipulated to SS's advantage with his telepathy ability; which would cause them to change back into their human form, but even if she was able to go back to the hulk, SS would be able to defeat the hulks before they had time to transform back into that power form already with incredible speed . Even if she was able to transform into she hulk again, SS would just be able to absorb all the energy from hulks; resulting in a quick defeat. As shown in the last comic strip.

Edited by Canuckien, 12 July 2011 - 02:17 AM.

Posted Image

#224 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,928 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:47 AM

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 18 December 2011 - 01:08 PM.

49%20903%20s.jpg

#225 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,928 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:52 AM

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 18 December 2011 - 12:57 PM.

49%20903%20s.jpg

#226 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:01 AM

Dude...he can warp reality on a cosmic scale.

So, I don't think so.

Try to choose someone a little less Omega levelish.....remember no one with 'cosmic' type powers.

I don't understand how the silver surfer is allowed but everyone else who has similar powers to him are automatically disqualified...

#227 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,215 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

The man called Nova:

Posted Image

Even Marvel called him the "Ultimate Super Hero:

Posted Image

http://en.wikipedia....i/Nova_(comics)

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

waiting.for.cdc.jpg

#228 Tyler18

Tyler18

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

I don't understand how the silver surfer is allowed to have 'cosmic powers' but everyone else who has similar powers to him are automatically disqualified...

#229 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

I don't understand how the silver surfer is allowed but everyone else who has similar powers to him are automatically disqualified...

I've made it up to you guys to decide to allow Thor.....and Wolfman's putting a good case together for The Hulk.

Silver Surfer isn't running away with anything that I can see.

I posted a blurb that shows Silver Sufer's power is limited in scope, while other beings like him have limitless power, either magical or cosmic.

#230 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

Not really

Closing vault doors to a nuclear core that Thor and Thing together couldn't budge.The Invincible Iron Man vol.2, #6

Fighting evenly against Thor and Thing at the same time.Heroes Return #1

His strength is matched only by powerhouses like Hercules, Hulk, or Sentry, and it surpasses that of heroes like Gladiator

Thor is physically one of the strongest beings to ever walk the Earth and one of the most physically powerful beings in the Universe.He is one of a few that can take on the Hulk if necessary.

http://marvel.wikia....r_(Thor_Odinson)

#231 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:21 AM

The man called Nova:

Posted Image

Even Marvel called him the "Ultimate Super Hero:

Posted Image

http://en.wikipedia....va_%28comics%29

I'll add you to the list as supporting Nova.

The list is located on the front page.

Good Luck to you and your SuperHero.

#232 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,928 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:24 AM

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 18 December 2011 - 12:56 PM.

49%20903%20s.jpg

#233 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

Pushing a 10x stronger than normal,Thor vol.1, #502 "warrior's madness" Thor towards the ground with a single arm.The Incredible Hulk vol. 2, #440 (April 1996)

It'd be a good fight, if someone took up Thor's mantle...who knew something about him and could back it up as you are doing with The Hulk.

I'm making an executive decision, to allow Thor into the mix, however, I'm taking away his Rune magic and ability to tap into the Odin Force.

Thor's in play.

#234 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

Hulk Vs. Thor has already been decided in animated form. the Hulk destroyed thor, twice, and killed him once, and that was with the help of pretty much everything thor had at this disposal, not the nerfed version sharpshooter warped him into.

Spoiler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulk_Vs#Hulk_vs._Thor

Then again, in the same series Wolverene seems to be a better match for the hulk than thor ever was...

Spoiler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulk_Vs#Hulk_vs._Wolverine

Edited by avelanch, 12 July 2011 - 10:01 AM.

#235 Charlie.the.Unicorn

Charlie.the.Unicorn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

Thor is pretty much on par with the Hulk in terms of physical powers. At the same time, he is pretty much even with the Silver Surfer in energy powers, but he also has the Godblast, which single handily beat Galactacus haha, which in this thread he is not allowed to use. The Hulk blew up a planet though with a punch when he was angry enough. Thor is just so versatile though. He is durable, he is powerful in both physical and energy and then on top of that he has his runes and magic. Before I post links to comics and stuff, I'll need to re-read the thread for the rules.

With that being said and no magic for Thor. It has to be Superman. DC has such overpowered characters its hilarious. The only argument I can think for either SS or Hulk is that both Thor and Superman have died. The SS has beaten two Gods at once, but he was being amped up by Galactus, which I don't know if its fair or not?

#236 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

Thor is pretty much on par with the Hulk in terms of physical powers. At the same time, he is pretty much even with the Silver Surfer in energy powers, but he also has the Godblast, which single handily beat Galactacus haha, which in this thread he is not allowed to use. The Hulk blew up a planet though with a punch when he was angry enough. Thor is just so versatile though. He is durable, he is powerful in both physical and energy and then on top of that he has his runes and magic. Before I post links to comics and stuff, I'll need to re-read the thread for the rules.

With that being said and no magic for Thor. It has to be Superman. DC has such overpowered characters its hilarious. The only argument I can think for either SS or Hulk is that both Thor and Superman have died. The SS has beaten two Gods at once, but he was being amped up by Galactus, which I don't know if its fair or not?

The amping up of characters powers over time has been pretty lame. When you have the hulk destroying a planet or superman moving a planet, things start to get pretty ridiculous.

They pulled back superman's power in the Crisis story line, but have slowly let them get more ridiculous over time again.

Wizard has their list here:

http://www.old-wizar...oes-of-all-time

Thor leads it, but if you remove his magic powers, they'd probably go Superman.

Interesting addition on that list that nobody has thought up yet is: Captain Atom. In theory, he should be able to absorb all of the Surfer's powers. Captain Atom might not be the ultimate superhero but he could definitely take out the Surfer.

#237 Tyler18

Tyler18

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

The amping up of characters powers over time has been pretty lame. When you have the hulk destroying a planet or superman moving a planet, things start to get pretty ridiculous.

They pulled back superman's power in the Crisis story line, but have slowly let them get more ridiculous over time
again.

Wizard has their list here:

http://www.old-wizar...oes-of-all-time

Thor leads it, but if you remove his magic powers, they'd probably go Superman.

Interesting addition on that list that nobody has thought up yet is: Captain Atom. In theory, he should be able to absorb all of the Surfer's powers. Captain Atom might not be the ultimate superhero but he could definitely take out the Surfer.

Hulk would Smash Captain Atom it would be an entertaining fight though.

#238 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

Hulk would Smash Captain Atom it would be an entertaining fight though.

How do you smash something made of energy? Dr. Manhattan, from the Watchmen, was based on Captain Atom and they more or less have the same powers.

#239 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,215 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

Issue # 4 of the Man Called Nova:

The Corruptor has possessed the mighty Thor and sent the Asgardian on a rampage that will bring the city down. Can Richard Rider, even with the power of Nova Prime, hope to contain the mad god of thunder. It's the Human Rocket vs. the power of Thor!

A synopsis from another forum:

"Before journeying to the universe abroad, Thor’s in town. With a storm he helps fight a chemical supply storage fire, and with a sweep of Mjolnir, his mystic mallet, down goes the one locked door between him and whoever’s trapped inside. Unfortunately, the chemicals have made the deep-blue hued man inside become the Corruptor, “whose very touch spreads evil!” Soon the most powerful of the Avengers calls him master, dedicated to mayhem starting immediately.
Ginger’s listening to Rich’s concern over his dad and trying to make him smile, while Bernie jokingly haggles for a better banana split and Mike and Donna sit nearby with fresh razz. Here we find Mike Burley’s hang-up mentioned in passing: he excels because he is pushed without let-up. But as a tough guy, he glosses over this rudely with his seemingly air-headed girl.

In their front booth, Bernie drops a reference to another coming plotline: where is Roger “Caps” Cooper? Their friend wasn’t home and hasn’t been seen. They agree to check up on him; ever-astute Ginger observes Bernie dropping the Don Rickles act long enough to show concern. Meanwhile, the now-possessed Thor streaks overhead, inspiring Richard to change to Nova soon and approach him. “Excuse me, Mr. Thor. I---“

He gets the picture quickly; a haughty thunder god back smashes him through a building’s corner. Nova recognizes Thor seemed hypnotized or drugged, and decides to stop him by going Human Rocket on hizzass. Ironically, after soaring over an open-air mall, Thor crashes right into the Harry S. Truman High School’s gym---a place “where Rich Rider’s such a hot-shot athlete! Hah!” Thor puts considerable effort into killing Nova, who critiques himself as always, excoriating his lack of experience, all-too aware of Thor’s greater power. Slamming into a pool, Nova now discovers his plexi-glass visor in his helmet as soon as he hits the water--- a feature he reasons appropriate to its deep space alien former owner. Fortunately Thor seems stunned he’s not drowned his foe, allowing Nova to get free again, though Thor recovers quickly.

The Corruptor discovers his transformation is unstable, and resumes a more sane and very disturbed mortal persona.
Thor feels a flood of pain at that moment, just as Nova screws up one gutsy punch, which he can’t stop! Ever egalitarian, Thor and Nova reason together, and Thor, often the formal ambassador of superherodom, shakes his hand and insists he stop calling the god “sir.”

Our man, whose name is revealed is Jackson, can’t believe his Corruptor experience, and answers a call from his wife Doris. He tries to play it all off, but by the time he hangs up the phone he’s become a rabid, transforming freak. Upon his change, the Corruptor recognizes the clothes make the Evil man, and with his mind creates a skull-emblem jumpsuit.

He sees Nova and Thor, and notes his slaves change from evil whenever he does. Nonetheless his power seems to grow according to his need to corrupt, and quickly he’s going mano y mano with Thor and Nova. The touch fails to change Thor this time and Corruptor decides to try the hostages/ pawns route. However, a team-up of hammer born shockwaves and a quip-accompanied punch rein him in. The question of the now-human Corruptor’s condition will be remanded to Tony Stark and the Avengers. Best of all, young Nova gets plaudits and a final handshake of “eternal friendship” from the warrior Norse god himself. Blue Blazes!"

Thor couldn't defeat Nova - even whilst being possessed!

Don't know if it's posted here, but this guy ranks SS as number 1:

http://www.silver-su...t/Top10List.htm

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

waiting.for.cdc.jpg

#240 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,215 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

Oh - in issue 15 he battled Spidy, Iron Man, Captain America and the Hulk - and survived!

Posted Image

waiting.for.cdc.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.