Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Who Is The Ultimate SuperHero?

• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Is The Ultimate SuperHero? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Should The Silver Surfer be allowed as a selection choice?

1. Yes - He's not too powerful (10 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. No - He's too powerful (15 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Tyler18

Tyler18

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

How do you smash something made of energy? Dr. Manhattan, from the Watchmen, was based on Captain Atom and they more or less have the same powers.

If he's made of energy then he isn't eligble for this competition

#242 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

Edited by Persona Non Grata, 18 December 2011 - 12:56 PM.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#243 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

If he's made of energy then he isn't eligble for this competition

It's more complicated than that. He's made of matter but can tune into something called the Quantum field. He can in theory absorb unlimted amounts of energy and reform that into matter or vice versa.

If Surfer is allowed to access the power cosmic, you have to include Captain Atom.

#244 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

It's more complicated than that. He's made of matter but can tune into something called the Quantum field. He can in theory absorb unlimted amounts of energy and reform that into matter or vice versa.

If Surfer is allowed to access the power cosmic, you have to include Captain Atom.

The difference however is that SS has limited access and use of Power Cosmic, in my understandingg and previous quote posting.....whereas Atom has unlimited energy absorbtion and usage....putting him into almost 'God' status.

You have agood point about Silver Surfer though....and at first I thought he'd be able to stay in the mix.....but the more and more I look at him and his abilities...the more I think he's just too powerful a being to be part of this thought experiment.

I'm going to create a poll and leave it up to you all about whether SS should be included or not. I'll abide by the majority decision as well.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#245 iLoveRunningMan

iLoveRunningMan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

I'm split on silver surfer. He seems unbeatable but also under the right circumstance could also be beatable. Maybe expand the selection of heroes?

Posted Image

#246 iLoveRunningMan

iLoveRunningMan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

I'm split on silver surfer. He seems unbeatable but also under the right circumstance could also be beatable. Maybe expand the selection of heroes?

Posted Image

#247 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

Yeah, i know what you mean about being torn.

If we expand the selection then we'll probably just end up letting similar types in as well, which really doesn't help in keeping a level of plausible fairness.

Again, I'll leave it up to the democratic process and wishes of the thread's users.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#248 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

The difference however is that SS has limited access and use of Power Cosmic, in my understandingg and previous quote posting.....whereas Atom has unlimited energy absorbtion and usage....putting him into almost 'God' status.

You have agood point about Silver Surfer though....and at first I thought he'd be able to stay in the mix.....but the more and more I look at him and his abilities...the more I think he's just too powerful a being to be part of this thought experiment.

I'm going to create a poll and leave it up to you all about whether SS should be included or not. I'll abide by the majority decision as well.

Captain atom certainly does not have god like status and is very limited in his abilities. His powers were exaggerated for the Manhattan character. The Manhattan's characters powers were stretched to purposely parody how ridiculous it was to give superheros that kind of power and show how someone with that kind of power would interact with the rest of the world.

Captain Atom is tied to a limitless source or energy not unlike the "cosmic" energy that the Silver Surfer draws his power from. However, the greatest use of energy he has ever had is in the form of nuclear blasts. If the Surfer is allowed to remain with the ability to create blasts taht can destroy a planet, surely Captain Atom's power aren't too much.

Also if Captain Atom absorbs too much energy he gets side effects like being thrown through time.

I don't think Atom is any way god-like. Several heros could probably take him out. I think he stands a pretty good chance agaisnt the Surfer specifically.

Here's one thing. Just because Hero A is capable of taking out hero B. And hero B is capalbe of taking out hero C. It doesn't mean that hero A is capable of taking out hero C. Heros have different strengths and weaknesses.

#249 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,932 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

I think the real question is - should the Ultimate Super Hero have always been a Super Hero?

The Silver Surfer originally came to Earth to find Galactus a world to feed on - in other words, to humanity he was a villain - not a super hero.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#250 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

Captain atom certainly does not have god like status and is very limited in his abilities. His powers were exaggerated for the Manhattan character. The Manhattan's characters powers were stretched to purposely parody how ridiculous it was to give superheros that kind of power and show how someone with that kind of power would interact with the rest of the world.

Captain Atom is tied to a limitless source or energy not unlike the "cosmic" energy that the Silver Surfer draws his power from. However, the greatest use of energy he has ever had is in the form of nuclear blasts. If the Surfer is allowed to remain with the ability to create blasts taht can destroy a planet, surely Captain Atom's power aren't too much.

Also if Captain Atom absorbs too much energy he gets side effects like being thrown through time.

I don't think Atom is any way god-like. Several heros could probably take him out. I think he stands a pretty good chance agaisnt the Surfer specifically.

Here's one thing. Just because Hero A is capable of taking out hero B. And hero B is capalbe of taking out hero C. It doesn't mean that hero A is capable of taking out hero C. Heros have different strengths and weaknesses.

I think the real question is - should the Ultimate Super Hero have always been a Super Hero?

The Silver Surfer originally came to Earth to find Galactus a world to feed on - in other words, to humanity he was a villain - not a super hero.

I hear what you're saying....and I'll let the all of you decide the outcome....which is infuriatingly tied at 4 votes yes and 4 votes no...for the perfect 50-50 split. ;)

My point then are these two characters do have abilities that are limitless....isn't the ability to draw on energies that can take out an entire planet...but the fact that they can both manipulate matter witha ll that limitless power? If they went up against the Hulk or Superman for instance, what's stopping them from just converting all that matter into energy? Fight's over before it began!

Just my viewpoint....again, the decision remains the collective's.

#251 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

It shouldn't matter what he was then, he was also under some brainwashing or 'like such as', back then... he's a 'good' guy now...so it's a 'moo' point and question.

"It's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter.......it's moo". - Joey Tribiani

#252 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

voted 'no' on surfer

love him, but he is seriously over powered with the power cosmic

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#253 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,981 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

How about....

Posted Image

Or...Thor's Daddy.

Posted Image

:D
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#254 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,981 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

voted 'no' on surfer

love him, but he is seriously over powered with the power cosmic

So if Jean Grey is rejected because she has the Phoenix Force, shouldn't The Surfer be rejected as he's been altered by Galactus?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#255 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

^^:lol:

And as welll, there are point both for and against keeping SS....just vote...and we'll tally up the votes and see what to do with him.

#256 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

some excellent superhero cartoon intros, just cuz

Edited by GodzillaDeuce, 12 July 2011 - 11:01 PM.

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#257 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

Can I change my vote to Mom?
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#258 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

Can I change my vote to Mom?

As in your mom?

Do you really think that's a good idea with the sort of villains around here who are just waiting for a door like that to be opened??

Namely me. ;)

#259 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:47 AM

As in your mom?

Do you really think that's a good idea with the sort of villains around here who are just waiting for a door like that to be opened??

Namely me. ;)

Mothers are the true superheroes of the world. If you can't see that, or worse wish to resort to childish behaviour, you live a sad life my friend.

#260 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

Sorry SS

Just had a little moment there

Carry on with your discussion

:)

#261 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

Sorry SS

Just had a little moment there

Carry on with your discussion

:)

Yeah......you did Shifty......quite the moment actually. :lol:

No worries though. Had it been someone else....i'd have been less 'understanding'. ;)

#262 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

Well, the 'collective' has democratically spoken. 12 against, 7 for.....with the 63.16% majority speaking in favour of not allowing him to compete.

Silver Surfer has been deemed 'too powerful' and will be pulled from the competition as will his defeat of The Batman, which brings The Batman back into the mix...to be taken on by another SuperHero, or to take on another SuperHero.

Batman remains in play.

Posted Image

Edited by Sharpshooter, 13 July 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#263 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

Why are SuperHeroes battling each other?

If Batman picks a fight with Spiderman he isn't so super anymore in my eyes.

#264 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,954 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

Why are SuperHeroes battling each other?

If Batman picks a fight with Spiderman he isn't so super anymore in my eyes.

think of it as a mortal kombat tourney where they have to defeat each-other in order to face the ultimate threat that will destroy the world if not stopped; except they will be resurrected after the tourney is over.

#265 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

think of it as a mortal kombat tourney where they have to defeat each-other in order to face the ultimate threat that will destroy the world if not stopped; except they will be resurrected after the tourney is over.

Wouldn't it be more intelligent super to band together against that ultimate threat?

#266 truenuxfan

truenuxfan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

yo mama

#267 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

Wouldn't it be more intelligent super to band together against that ultimate threat?

It's just a summer thought experiment, just for fun, Shifty.

#268 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

It's just a summer thought experiment, just for fun, Shifty.

Thinking related?

I'm out

(but my point still stands; SuperHeroes battling each other defeats the purpose of being Super)

#269 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

Thinking related?

I'm out

(but my point still stands; SuperHeroes battling each other defeats the purpose of being Super)

Nope....'super' means that these Heros, have 'super' or above or beyond, natural abilites.

Where your mom is a Hero for you because of what she does for you given her natural abilities. Superman is a SuperHero, because of what he does given his abilities that are beyond a normal person's.

Just because good guys fight other good guys....the fight doesn't negate their inherent 'goodness'.

and finally, shut up. :)

See? We're still both 'good' guys. ;)

#270 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

Thanks

You just proved I shouldn't be involved in a thinking related exercise

Jerk

:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.