The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

Another sad day in the hockey world and the Canucks :( Mental illness is a terrible thing that we will never fully understand... Apparently there is a celebration of his life at Rogers Arena on Wednesday at 2. Everyone shud be there to sign the condolances book for his family/friends.

RIP Ryp, at least ur not in pain anymore bro :'(

Sad to admit that i thought his apparent off-ice issues were a method of cap circumvention. But when two seasons of it went on, you had to throw that theory away.

The Canucks did all they could to support the young man. Perhaps if he was still under their wing, he'd have a better chance of recovery. Needless and pointless speculation.

Depression is a serious issue that has likely affected us all. But it is treatable.

Be that as it may, suicide is THE most selfish act you can do and it will ultimately be judged as such.

My thoughts and well wishes go to his family and friends and the rest of us who will miss him.

RIP Rick.

Sad to admit that i thought his apparent off-ice issues were a method of cap circumvention. But when two seasons of it went on, you had to throw that theory away.

The Canucks did all they could to support the young man. Perhaps if he was still under their wing, he'd have a better chance of recovery. Needless and pointless speculation.

Depression is a serious issue that has likely affected us all. But it is treatable.

Be that as it may, suicide is THE most selfish act you can do and it will ultimately be judged as such.

My thoughts and well wishes go to his family and friends and the rest of us who will miss him.

RIP Rick.

Awww man. This sucks. I don't know if the suicide rumours are true, but I've personally had 2 friends hang themselves in the past year, so even the notion of it really hits home for me.

RIP RYP

Believe it or not, Rick scored my favourite Nucks goal of the 2009-2010 season. Granted it was the hard work of Kesler that made it happen, and the specific circumstances at the time that made it such a huge goal, but it was a beauty, and a game winner to boot. I'd like to share it.

This was back near the start of the season, when we were plagued with injuries (think both Daniel and Lu were out then). Earlier in the same play, Henrik took a puck to the shin and limped off the ice, and Willie Mitchell was seen vomiting on the bench after taking a puck to the groin. My friend and I looked at each other and were like "Aww man, that's it, we're just gonna run out of players....". Immediately after he scored.

If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all. Ya goof. It may seem selfish to some, but people that do it aren't thinking clearly and I feel bad for someone who has to resort to this tragic act. Let this thread be for those to mourn, not for you to throw your judgment on him.

I feel bad for Ripper of course. But i feel worse for his family. Esp. the member(s) who found him. My sister-in-law found her dad. A colleague found his brother. Another sent out a search before they found him in the river. I've seen too much pain caused by this to not label it EXTREMELY selfish. But you're right, it's not for me to judge. Sorry.

I feel bad for Ripper of course. But i feel worse for his family. Esp. the member(s) who found him. My sister-in-law found her dad. A colleague found his brother. Another sent out a search before they found him in the river. I've seen too much pain caused by this to not label it EXTREMELY selfish. But you're right, it's not for me to judge. Sorry.

Archived