The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Luongo really meltdown in the playoffs?

rkoshack

Pittsburgh lost 5-0 in the Stanley Cup Final in 2009 and still won the cup, doesn't mean it was the goalies fault. Clearly that town gets what defense is.

Several 4 goals against games, but guess what Pittsburgh scored goals too. There was another 5-4 loss in the 3rd round to washington. And in the first round that year they lost a game 6-3.

Again can't blame a goalie for one bad game when it happens to nearly every stanley cup winning goalie every single playoff with the exception of the odd stellar run almost every goalie will still have a bad game in the playoffs. Would you like more examples, there's plenty more?

Again furthering the proof that Defense was the problem and a lack of scoring, not Luongo. Luongo doesn't score goals.

lol what you guys are still not getting is the thing CALLED DEFENSE. THE GOALIE CAN"T STOP EVERYTHING. The defense was worse in those games. The team shouldn't be letting the other team set up clear goals that no one can stop. IF SCHNEIDER WAS THAT GOOD WE WOULD"VE BEAT LA THEN!!!!

"We've tried to win with Luongo for 7 years now, with no luck. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again while failing. It's time to move on."

Honestly, do you see ANY logic in that statement?

Perhaps if he was out there on his own it would be logical .............................................. perhaps if we had more physicality in our top two lines, perhaps if we had a D with who were big enough to punish opposition forwards and protect Lu, then that statement might be logical.

Has there ever been a less physically imposing team who has won a cup say in the last 10 years?

"All Schneider needed to beat LA was 2 goals a game,"

Our team crapped the bed as a unit whether it was Schneider or Lu in goal. I still have recurring nightmares about game 1............we were f---ng dire! We gave away stupid penalties and looked like we had never played the game before.

I love how people also conveniently forget that Lu's been a big part of the reason, at times, that we're in a position to even play for the cup. I know this thread refers specifically to the playoffs, but if you're going to pin losses on him for melting down then, the flipside is that you have to also acknowledge the games where he stood on his head and pulled out games that we had no business winning. It's all about timing and goalies will have hot/cold streaks...when the team is hurt and falters in front of him during the playoffs, that factors in. The momentum swing with a bad goal can have an impact and things can quickly disintegrate, but it's a team thing both when they win AND lose.

These are all just numbers. My post up a bit more states how you don't know how well the defense is playing in front of the goalie in those games. Most of those games with a guy like chara you can keep all those shots to the outside and be relatively easy to save most of the time with the odd big save. Any goalie can do that. Put Tim Thomas on the Vancouver Canucks last year or the year before and he gets worse numbers than Luongo guaranteed.

Brodeur never had Chara in front of him. In fact, the New Jersey D-corps over the last 4 years has been inferior to Vancouver's. Quick never had Chara either - he has had Mitchell...but then again, so did Luongo.

The thing is, considering your excuses, is our defense really that bad? How did we get the Jennings, and then suddenly collapse and provide worse defense than other teams? Did Bryce Salvador and Alec Martinez really lock it down and provide infinitely better defense than our guys? Or did Brodeur and Quick simply play better than Luongo?

Stats over a short time frame do not tell the whole story. However, over a long time frame, and compared against peers, they reveal a pattern. The pattern is: Luongo either gives us grade-A allstar goaltending in a playoff series, or he is below average. And, unfortunately, in the last four years, he has been the latter more often than the former.

Brodeur never had Chara in front of him. In fact, the New Jersey D-corps over the last 4 years has been inferior to Vancouver's. Quick never had Chara either - he has had Mitchell...but then again, so did Luongo.

The thing is, considering your excuses, is our defense really that bad? How did we get the Jennings, and then suddenly collapse and provide worse defense than other teams? Did Bryce Salvador and Alec Martinez really lock it down and provide infinitely better defense than our guys? Or did Brodeur and Quick simply play better than Luongo?

Stats over a short time frame do not tell the whole story. However, over a long time frame, and compared against peers, they reveal a pattern. The pattern is: Luongo either gives us grade-A allstar goaltending in a playoff series, or he is below average. And, unfortunately, in the last four years, he has been the latter more often than the former.

You know what we all need right now?!

We need to come together and forget our differences

I'm not going to force anyone to watch this but I'm positive if anything can bring us together it's the Christian metal band Stryper

We are All Canucks

You know what we all need right now?!

We need to come together and forget our differences

I'm not going to force anyone to watch this but I'm positive if anything can bring us together it's the Christian metal band Stryper

We are All Canucks

Archived