Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

The Canucks might miss the playoffs this year!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
129 replies to this topic

Poll: Where will the Canucks Finish? (256 member(s) have cast votes)

Where Do you think the Canucks will Finish the Regular Season this year?

1. 1st in Western Conference again with 108+ points (84 votes [32.81%])

Percentage of vote: 32.81%

2. 1st in the Northwest Division and in the top three in Western Conference with between 102-107 Points (120 votes [46.88%])

Percentage of vote: 46.88%

3. Between 4th and 8th in the Conference with 96-101 Points (34 votes [13.28%])

Percentage of vote: 13.28%

4. Out of the Playoffs with 95 or less Points (18 votes [7.03%])

Percentage of vote: 7.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Nice Prediction Gradin123, can you give me your picks for next year's Super Bowl?
Posted Image

#122 Ryan17Kesler17

Ryan17Kesler17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

I think you misspelt "maple leafs"

#123 Scoobydooby

Scoobydooby

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

lol great job op.. the fact that you posted this so long ago is a testament to your foolishness..

the window for the canucks is closing fast he says. lmfao.

clutchs would be so proud.

Posted Image

#124 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

LOOOOOLLLLL. Oh man, OP rammed the panic button waaaay too fast. :lol:

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#125 OrdinaryBoy

OrdinaryBoy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

In otehr news, turns out Marko Sturm IS the next Uwe Krupp, in that we trade him cause he sucks.

#126 MariWanna

MariWanna

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

We achieved the quazi-impossible!

BELIEVE

"The more saves you make, the more they rally around you. And you do whatever it takes to keep them believing. That's what a city can do for a goalie, and a goalie can do for a city."

Posted Image

#127 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,623 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

i just voted today!!!, 1st in western conference with 108+points

OP, come back in here and save face by admitting you goofed and all will be forgiven:O)

this thread should be locked.

#128 nucks all the way

nucks all the way

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Well this is an interesting development now, isn't it?

#129 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,115 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Making the Stanley Cup Finals last year doesn't guarantee the Canucks will even make the playoffs this year and if you don't think so just think back to the Blackhawks of last year who very nearly missed one year after winning the Stanley Cup. The Western Conference is very competitive and it took 97 points last year just to make the playoffs, Dallas missed with 95 points and it looks like the West will be just as competitive this year. The line between going from very good to just pretty good is very thin. Like losing Ehrhoff and replacing him with no one thin. Like not playing anyone in the preseason and coming into the season sluggish thin. Like still being fatigued from the long Stanley Cup run of last year thin. Like the Sedins level of play dropping slightly because they have peaked as players thin. Like having very little young talent in the minors thin.

Last year the Canucks were a team largely driven by playing in a very weak division and having great special teams. The Power Play last year was lights out and really carried them, the loss of Ehrhoff is really hurting them here. Gillis erred not by letting Ehrhoff go, because he simply was overpaid by Buffalo, no Gillis erred in thinking the Canucks could replace Ehrhoff from players already with the team. The problem is no one other than Salo, who we all know is going to get hurt at some point, is at all capable of replacing Ehrhoff on the Power Play. Will the Canucks trade for a defenseman who can play the Power play? Honestly they aren't easy to find.(Although I think they should give the Flames a call about Anton Babchuk who is in Sutters doghouse).

The window on the Canucks is closing fast. The Sedins may very well be on the decline now and the young talent in this organization is very poor. The decline of this team may come way faster than most could fathom. At the end of last year Gillis seemed to suggest that the Status Quo was good enough and I knew at the time that was a very bad line to take. A team can never be content, they always have to strive to improve even if they win the Cup. Gillis has always been overrated as a GM and the fact he won executive of the year last season was a joke. Let's face it the players that drove the Canucks last year were almost all leftovers from the previous regimes. I have little faith Gillis can turn this around but honestly given the mess the Canucks are in looking at the longterm picture I don't know if anyone could turn it around. Who are the elite players that are going to replace the Sedins? There are no young players in the Canucks organization at all who have any chance of becoming elite NHL stars. Three years from now I have no doubt the Oilers will be way better than the Canucks.

I know I am going to get flamed. I know people are going to say I'm nuts but I honestly think the Canucks as a organization are closer right now to being a team that routinely misses the playoffs than they are as threats to win the Stanley Cup again. They will be pretty good for the next 2-3 years but after that it looks pretty ugly.

:).

As usual, chickenlittle123...

#130 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

Making the Stanley Cup Finals last year doesn't guarantee the Canucks will even make the playoffs this year and if you don't think so just think back to the Blackhawks of last year who very nearly missed one year after winning the Stanley Cup. The Western Conference is very competitive and it took 97 points last year just to make the playoffs, Dallas missed with 95 points and it looks like the West will be just as competitive this year. The line between going from very good to just pretty good is very thin. Like losing Ehrhoff and replacing him with no one thin. Like not playing anyone in the preseason and coming into the season sluggish thin. Like still being fatigued from the long Stanley Cup run of last year thin. Like the Sedins level of play dropping slightly because they have peaked as players thin. Like having very little young talent in the minors thin.

Last year the Canucks were a team largely driven by playing in a very weak division and having great special teams. The Power Play last year was lights out and really carried them, the loss of Ehrhoff is really hurting them here. Gillis erred not by letting Ehrhoff go, because he simply was overpaid by Buffalo, no Gillis erred in thinking the Canucks could replace Ehrhoff from players already with the team. The problem is no one other than Salo, who we all know is going to get hurt at some point, is at all capable of replacing Ehrhoff on the Power Play. Will the Canucks trade for a defenseman who can play the Power play? Honestly they aren't easy to find.(Although I think they should give the Flames a call about Anton Babchuk who is in Sutters doghouse).

The window on the Canucks is closing fast. The Sedins may very well be on the decline now and the young talent in this organization is very poor. The decline of this team may come way faster than most could fathom. At the end of last year Gillis seemed to suggest that the Status Quo was good enough and I knew at the time that was a very bad line to take. A team can never be content, they always have to strive to improve even if they win the Cup. Gillis has always been overrated as a GM and the fact he won executive of the year last season was a joke. Let's face it the players that drove the Canucks last year were almost all leftovers from the previous regimes. I have little faith Gillis can turn this around but honestly given the mess the Canucks are in looking at the longterm picture I don't know if anyone could turn it around. Who are the elite players that are going to replace the Sedins? There are no young players in the Canucks organization at all who have any chance of becoming elite NHL stars. Three years from now I have no doubt the Oilers will be way better than the Canucks.

I know I am going to get flamed. I know people are going to say I'm nuts but I honestly think the Canucks as a organization are closer right now to being a team that routinely misses the playoffs than they are as threats to win the Stanley Cup again. They will be pretty good for the next 2-3 years but after that it looks pretty ugly.

Funny thing is I got flamed for months about this post because of the headline. If you actually read what I said I just said it was a possibility the Canucks miss the playoffs. I actually stated that I thought the Canucks would make the playoffs and be good for the next 2-3 years. Was I surprised the Canucks won the Presidents Trophy again? Yes, but it means very little to win the Presidents Cup. Even though the Canucks amassed a lot of points this year they did so in a relatively ugly manner. Last season the Canucks dominated teams at times but this year we saw very little of that. After watching nearly every game this year I still don't think the 111 Points they got reflected their level of play.

I still stand by almost everything I wrote in my thread and believe me the line is still thin between being really good and missing the playoffs in todays NHL where parity reigns. The funny thing is the one young player who actually did step up this year and got me somewhat more hopeful about the future was Hodgson and then Gillis traded him away.

Edited by gradin123, 24 April 2012 - 02:29 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.