The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks Will End Up Regretting Trading Samuelson

Vern Fonk

Even if Samuelsson gets more points than Booth this year, what about in a few more years? Besides, we got Samuelsson at a time when he was basically the only guy with Stanley Cup Final experience. Now almost our whole team has gained experience playing in the Final.

Samuelsson was better than many Canuck fans give him credit for; a great multi purpose fill player.

He was talented enough to add something talent wise to the second line. He was big enough(and still good enough to belong) to balance things on the boards against match ups (Chicago) where the Twins needed more size than Burrows. He had composure with his skills, which allowed him to play point because he had the concept of the plays & how they worked. This same attribute is also the "experience" edge people were looking for in the play-off's.

But he also never had the intensity or speed that made him a force with his size and talent level. Booth at least has that potential.

More importantly, Sammy was (at 35) looking pretty sore coming off surgery. And if his greatest asset was skill, we still had it. Booth has the same potential to bring back skill; but at well under 30 he is much more likely to recover his prowess (if that is what he is missing?). And in the meantime, he does use more of his speed and size than Sammy. It fixes some of the size & athleticism mis-matches we faced. I like the trade off!

smile.gif

I don't know if I'm the only one who shook his head in disbelief when Gillis pulled the trigger for David Booth.

Booth was a decent player pre-concussion(s) but he's not been the same player since and he's one concussion shy ending his career like Lafontaine & Kariya.

Even though Samuelson had some flaws I firmly believe his playoff experience alone would have made it worthwhile to keep him around.

I will go on the record to state this trade will eventually bite us in the butt when Booth ends up being a bust and end up being a non factor/fit.

To make things even worse is the fact Booth is making big bucks while Samuelson was on the last year of his deal.

If Booth some way miraculously ends up proving me wrong later down the road I'll eat crow.

But, for now this is not looking like how Gillis envisioned when he did the transaction with Florida.

I also believe Stuurm was given the short end of the stick.

The only way the Canucks end up regretting trading Samuelsson, is if this team is as close to winning it this season as last season and fail. We have Booth for 4 more seasons at least! If He gets another concussion and is done, then He comes off the cap cuz of retirement. If He doesn't perform at a 40+ point clip for the next 4 seasons, then come running your mouth and say "I told you so!"

i like samuelson but im not sure he was the best fit

he was a one dimensional player. and was soft on defense

booth is multidimensional. He can check, forecheck, hit, go to the net.

and with sam out it opens up a spot for hodgson.

so i think its positive cept for the salary

I don't know if I'm the only one who shook his head in disbelief when Gillis pulled the trigger for David Booth.

Booth was a decent player pre-concussion(s) but he's not been the same player since and he's one concussion shy ending his career like Lafontaine & Kariya.

Even though Samuelson had some flaws I firmly believe his playoff experience alone would have made it worthwhile to keep him around.

I will go on the record to state this trade will eventually bite us in the butt when Booth ends up being a bust and end up being a non factor/fit.

To make things even worse is the fact Booth is making big bucks while Samuelson was on the last year of his deal.

If Booth some way miraculously ends up proving me wrong later down the road I'll eat crow.

But, for now this is not looking like how Gillis envisioned when he did the transaction with Florida.

Sammy was a good player and still is. That said, he didn't play above the third line in Detroit, a team known for its skill. Over the last couple years, we have upgraded our skill overall as a team and it shows. The third and fourth lines have been great recently. Sammy, while a good player still, is getting older and just didn't fit in any more. He was essentially replaced on the second line by Hodgson both playing the right side.I wish the best for him but it was his time to go. I think we got fair value in the trade for Booth.

Archived