The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

Fact: in the 2007 playoff run Samuel Pahlsson averaged 19+ minutes of TOI/G.

There's no way Cody could handle that this year, maybe next year or the year after.. but definitely not this year.

I doubt Pahlsson will regain his form of '07. And I certainly don't expect him to play big minutes. He's played 15 minutes per game this season. And I reckon that number will drop playing behind Hank and Kesler (and in front of Manny/Laps).

The question is whether he's an upgrade on Malhotra and Lapierre. Can he bring what Manny did last year? Can he be an impact 3rd line centre? It should help that he's playing with strong, two-way forwards. But I think there'll be a bit of pressure on Pahlsson. He's got two pretty good centres playing behind him (three, if you count Reinprecht). Let's hope he's got the goods.

I differ from my friends above. This was the right move at the right time. To say we'll rely on 2 lines is missing the point completely. What did those 2 lines do for much of the playoffs? Sure, we were good enough to make it to Game 7, but we got blown out a bunch of times, and the Sedins were pushed around constantly, even going an entire series doing nothing. For right now, Hodgson doesn't help us. He's another soft player playing on a 3rd line and nobody knows how he would react in a playoff series. My guess is he'd be physically dominated. Instead you have a guy who is a monster who can bring energy, protect the Sedins, and scare the living daylights out of the other team.

Cody is great and will excel with more responsibility. Kassian is great, fills a big hole on this team, as well as gets a chance to develop with the leagues best.

It seems like a bunch of people feel the same way about CoHo as 14yr old girls do Justin Beiber... The "fans" need to get over their crush, look at this with clarity, and see this is what is best for us AND Hodgson.

Hodgson would never get the oppertunity to become a star behind the likes of Hank and Kes, and it is completly unfair and selfish of people to expect him to wait it out.

I look forward to watching his NHL career explode with another team, and can't wait to see Kes and Hodgson faceoff at some point! Kid will be a superstar, and will be a superstar faster because he got traded.

by the looks of the west standings the canucks could end up playing either the kings or the sharks 2 big teams that play physical. now who would you like playing on the 3rd or 4th line for the nucks cody or kassian? just remember the reffs turn in their whistles to toronto for the playoffs. gillis just made the team bigger tougher and more versatile for the grind to the cup. i also get the feeling that something was going on behind closed doors at the canucks mgmt with cody, something dont smell right here.

I differ from my friends above. This was the right move at the right time. To say we'll rely on 2 lines is missing the point completely. What did those 2 lines do for much of the playoffs? Sure, we were good enough to make it to Game 7, but we got blown out a bunch of times, and the Sedins were pushed around constantly, even going an entire series doing nothing. For right now, Hodgson doesn't help us. He's another soft player playing on a 3rd line and nobody knows how he would react in a playoff series. My guess is he'd be physically dominated. Instead you have a guy who is a monster who can bring energy, protect the Sedins, and scare the living daylights out of the other team.

really? Durring the stretch when the Sedins were struggling after the Bruins game, who came through for us when we needed CLUTCH goals? Give your head a shake dude.

I doubt Pahlsson will regain his form of '07. And I certainly don't expect him to play big minutes. He's played 15 minutes per game this season. And I reckon that number will drop playing behind Hank and Kesler (and in front of Manny/Laps).

The question is whether he's an upgrade on Malhotra and Lapierre. Can he bring what Manny did last year? Can he be an impact 3rd line centre? It should help that he's playing with strong, two-way forwards. But I think there'll be a bit of pressure on Pahlsson. He's got two pretty good centres playing behind him (three, if you count Reinprecht). Let's hope he's got the goods.

Regain what form?

Why do you think he's lost a step?

His point totals have gone down a tiny bit because he's playing in Columbus but Sammy Pahlsson hasn't shown any signs of slowing down as a player..

by the looks of the west standings the canucks could end up playing either the kings or the sharks 2 big teams that play physical. now who would you like playing on the 3rd or 4th line for the nucks cody or kassian? just remember the reffs turn in their whistles to toronto for the playoffs. gillis just made the team bigger tougher and more versatile for the grind to the cup. i also get the feeling that something was going on behind closed doors at the canucks mgmt with cody, something dont smell right here.

Sharks were Big last year too. We beat them in 5. Tell me if Ben Eager helped them. All that TOUGHNESS.

Regain what form?

Why do you think he's lost a step?

His point totals have gone down a tiny bit because he's playing in Columbus but Sammy Pahlsson hasn't shown any signs of slowing down as a player..

I haven't watched him for a few years, so I wouldn't know. Good to see someone endorse him.

I actually think this is the overlooked risk of yesterday's deals: will we still have an effective third line? It will have a different look, yes. But is Pahlsson, Manny or Lapierre capable of anchoring an effective checking line? If not, we may have diminished our depth.

Sharks were Big last year too. We beat them in 5. Tell me if Ben Eager helped them. All that TOUGHNESS.

Yes, we beat them in 5, without Hodgson as a contributing offensive player.

In the big picture we are better than the team we had in the playoffs last year. Especially our fourth line, which should be able to play against any line instead of being hidden like last year.

Noone wanted a huge trade that involved Hodgson. Most of us just wanted to add some vetern physical depth players.

Yes people wanted a big, skilled gritty forward BUT not someone who has played 27 games in the NHL has 9pts? and can't stick with the Sabres

Yes we wanted more D depth but from someone who is more reliable, physical Dman (last time I checked he wasn't that reliable....)

Yes we wanted more depth on the bottom 6 (and that was adressed) But not from giving up our dynamic center.

The main thing is that this guy is not proven.....and this is not the time to take on a project.

Yes, because Cody was proven, right? Playing 12 games in the playoffs last year and 62 games this year was just enough to approve him to be completely trusted over here.

I feel if Sedins were able to play their games properly, they can provide enough offense in the playoffs to push us through. I also think Kassian is a guy that could enable Sedins to do that.

I know point isn't everything, but since you were going to pull that "9 points in 27 games" crap, I would like to let you know that Cody provided 1 assist in the playoffs last year. What makes you believe Cody will provide the offense in the playoffs he did in the regular season? He averaged 6 and a half minute per game last year in the playoffs and didn't even play against Boston. There are still lots of unknown for Cody too and counting on him to perform is just as risky.

Kassian was not brought in to score. I really hope you get this through to your head because I don't want you come back and complaining how Cody is providing more offense than Kassian. That would be like complaining Holmstrom can't produce more than Zetterberg.

Perhaps some day we will look back and say it would have been great if we didn't have to make this trade. I do hope that we will be able to say that it was worth it back then and I do believe Kassian gives us a better chance for us to be able to say that in the future.

So how exactly can Kassian help Vancouver for THIS PLAYOFF RUN??? We gave up a young centre who was on pace to get 45-50pts playing 11-12 min a game and have that scoring depth for the playoffs. How many teams can boast that??? If anything...why didn't Van make this trade in the off-season?? Unless MG thinks Kassian and MAG are game changers that will win us the cup.

Bleh...

I agree that this trade will look really bad right now, considering how well Cody played this year. There's no denying that.

I'm just trying to make sense of the trade. It's hard to say what will happen in the playoffs. I am as surprised by this trade as anyone, but I think I tried to explain MG's reasoning.

Clearly MG wants a more prototypical third line, a shutdown line, to free up Kesler for more offensive duties. That's really how this helps us. It also gives AV a really big body to throw up and down the RW lineups where he needs it that can do some serious damage physically and possibly pot a few goals.

What Gillis meant by balance, was that we have too many skilled, but undersized forwards. So by sending out something we have in spades, for something that we lack, a BIG body that has skill, we balance our roster.

So how exactly can Kassian help Vancouver for THIS PLAYOFF RUN??? We gave up a young centre who was on pace to get 45-50pts playing 11-12 min a game and have that scoring depth for the playoffs. How many teams can boast that??? If anything...why didn't Van make this trade in the off-season?? Unless MG thinks Kassian and MAG are game changers that will win us the cup.

Bleh...

I agree.

The last part is just what I don't understand; we clearly took a step back removing Hodgson from point producing and adding an unpolished new NHLer in to potentially spice it up. Knowing AV, he might just hurt Kassian's development by putting him on the fourth line.

I agree that this trade will look really bad right now, considering how well Cody played this year. There's no denying that.

I'm just trying to make sense of the trade. It's hard to say what will happen in the playoffs. I am as surprised by this trade as anyone, but I think I tried to explain MG's reasoning.

Clearly MG wants a more prototypical third line, a shutdown line, to free up Kesler for more offensive duties. That's really how this helps us. It also gives AV a really big body to throw up and down the RW lineups where he needs it that can do some serious damage physically and possibly pot a few goals.

What Gillis meant by balance, was that we have too many skilled, but undersized forwards. So by sending out something we have in spades, for something that we lack, a BIG body that has skill, we balance our roster.

Adding a rookie (that's what Kassian is) to place on the third line is an absolute waste. If that's what he's (Gillis/AV) gonna do, this trade is gonna be a bust for sure. It'll hurt Kassian's development who's trying to be a power forward, which seems to be very difficult to turn into.

I haven't watched him for a few years, so I wouldn't know. Good to see someone endorse him.

I actually think this is the overlooked risk of yesterday's deals: will we still have an effective third line? It will have a different look, yes. But is Pahlsson, Manny or Lapierre capable of anchoring an effective checking line? If not, we may have diminished our depth.

He hasn't lost a step. He's great along the boards. He's poised all the time. He wins puck battles ALL the time. He hasn't lost any mobility.

Pahlsson can anchor a 3rd line still, no problem. Lapierre did it last year on a team that made the SCF & he has only looked better this year IMO.

It wouldn't surprise me if the line-up looked like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Lapierre - Kassian

Malhotra - Pahlsson - Hansen

The bottom two lines will both be '3rd lines' getting about the same amount of minutes. Lapierre is only on pace for about 18 points or something, but he's looked good offensively when given small chances (i.e. the Booth - Lapierre - Hodgson line of 1.5 games).

I am sure it will take AV a couple of games to decide what line-up is best though. I am excited to find out how it works out.

Edit: Nearly forgot about Raymond.. oops.

He hasn't lost a step. He's great along the boards. He's poised all the time. He wins puck battles ALL the time. He hasn't lost any mobility.

Pahlsson can anchor a 3rd line still, no problem. Lapierre did it last year on a team that made the SCF & he has only looked better this year IMO.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Hansen - Kesler - Booth

Malhotra - Pahlsson - Weise

The bottom two lines will both be '3rd lines' getting about the same amount of minutes. Lapierre is only on pace for about 18 points or something, but he's looked good offensively when given small chances (i.e. the Booth - Lapierre - Hodgson line of 1.5 games).

I am sure it will take AV a couple of games to decide what line-up is best though. I am excited to find out how it works out.

No Raymond? Not saying I disagree, but come playoff time, if we are in need of some added scoring, he might be our best/only option now.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Hansen - Kesler - Booth

Malhotra - Pahlsson - Weise

That could well be a playoff line-up. In the short-term, I expect Raymond to play on the second line, Pahlsson to get a shot to anchor the third line, and Kassian to start on the fourth line. Hopefully Kassian will get comfortable, improve and be a top-9 option come playoffs.

Here's what I expect:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Raymond

Higgins Pahlsson Hansen

Malhotra Lapierre Kassian

Raymond is the guy with the shortest leash. He may quickly be demoted to the third line in favour of Higgins. And he could be out of the line-up after that, with each of those fourth liners - or Reinprecht - being a top-9 option.

EDIT: also, your glowing endorsement of Pahlsson - you implied he's as good as he was in '07 - is weakened by placing him behind Lapierre on the depth chart.

I figure it's time to say what's on my mind.

Like many, I was shocked and disappointed. After all that was preached about developing prospects and using "home-grown" talent, to see MG deal away his first ever draft selection and most successful to date, just like that, was pretty disappointing.

We need to think for a moment though. Why are we upset? Why does trading our current third-line center, with potential to be a future top line center, not justify taking back a big, physical, goal-scoring, power-forward prospect that we've always lacked and has just as much potential?

I hope we can agree that players develop at a faster rate than others. Cody is also a year older. Just because his statistics are far better than Kassian's currently, doesn't mean it can't change in the future.

The way I see it, MG wouldn't have made this move if he didn't feel Zack was ready for the NHL. MG has been patient with Schneider so this trade doesn't prove that MG likes to "give up" on prospects and young guys.

We got back a significant player that will really help us, I believe.

One last question. If Cody has five less goals and five less assists and Zack has five more goals and five more assists, would everyone still be against this deal? Or better yet, if this deal was made last summer, would we all share similar feelings and outlooks of the past 24 hours?

Thanks for reading. Be happy guys!

Archived