The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian (Official Thread)

hyroglyphixs

This trade is huge when it comes to post season matchups in the oppositions barn. AV won't have to line match to keep Cody away from certain matchups. All 4 centers will be able to hold their own against the likes of Joe Thornton, Kopitar, Richards, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Backes, and toews. Our team is good when Henrik is one of our weaker defensive centers

this trade hurts a lot emotionally, but sometimes we got to seperate our emotions from these trades and look at the hard cold facts of the trade. and the cold hard facts are that we traded from a position of strength for a position that we are not strong in. For the longest time canucks fans have been clamouring for a young power forward that is mean, physical and who can score and that`s what we got. and not to mention we got a young puck moving dman to boot. Losing CoHo hurts, but its a good hockey trade. The real winners of this trade will be decided 3-5 years from now. I wish CoHo all the best, but Kassian is a great young power forard who will do us a lot of good.

There have been lots of negative comments about this trade from Canuck fans, not just on these message boards either. Some are as going far as to saying we got much worse and no stanley cup this year. Cody is a great player and will be for many years. He'll put up plenty of points in Buffalo, but just because he was playing really good here, and fans started to get behind him, doesn't mean come playoff time, he'll make any difference.

Look at last years run. Cody was a non factor. If you want to compare our team this year to last year, we are better. There is no doubt about that. A presidents trophy is nothing. Playoffs are a whole different game here. Yes, you can beat teams with skill, but going further into the playoffs, the way you win is by wearing the other team down. And getting Kassian will allow us to wear teams down physically, then using our skill to finish them off.

I remember watching sportsnet after that trade and there was an interesting thing said and it stuck with me. "People say the canucks are too soft, so they go out and get kassian and everyone says now they can't score, you know maybe they're just too good." And they're right. I don't think people realize here how good our team is.

Kassian will become a fan favorite here.

Kassian's stats on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Kassian

The problem with losing Cody is what happens if Hank or Kesler gets injured? We can kiss the Stanley Cup goodbye. Image if we had this year's Cody in last year's SCF after Kesler tore his hip. We would actually have some credible secondary scoring. Now? If Kesler gets hurt again we are screwed.

Kassian is unproven at the NHL level. We traded a sure thing for a potential bust. I hope management and scouts did their homework. Every attempt we have had to land a power forward since we lost Bert has been a failure... except maybe Booth but he barely counts.

its pretty funny how everyone thinks this is a horrible trade yet know one has really watched Kassian play. You think our scouts and gm are fully incompetent? Gillis is very thurough and does his due diligence. I can understand how people are upset to lose hodgson...but he would have been exposed at centre in the playoffs. He will be a very good player...but he isn't a third line center and in away rinks, will be exposed by big strong first and second line centers.

One other thing...i think this shows that Gillis and the rest of management is very happy with the progress Schroeder has recently made.

Stop using the excuse of COHO being stuck behind Henrik and Kesler to feel better about this retarded trade.

Hodgson could've easily been 2nd line center with Kesler and Booth on his wings.

Kassian could easily become Steve Bernier v2.0, good junior stats, big power forward game, no hands, questionable worth ethic.

I would've traded Raymond and whatever picks it took, before i even thought about COHO.

Do you see Pittsburgh trading Jordan Stall, because he's stuck behind Crosby and Malkin?

Kassian's stats on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Kassian

The problem with losing Cody is what happens if Hank or Kesler gets injured? We can kiss the Stanley Cup goodbye. Image if we had this year's Cody in last year's SCF after Kesler tore his hip. We would actually have some credible secondary scoring. Now? If Kesler gets hurt again we are screwed.

Kassian is unproven at the NHL level. We traded a sure thing for a potential bust. I hope management and scouts did their homework. Every attempt we have had to land a power forward since we lost Bert has been a failure... except maybe Booth but he barely counts.

I don't think Canucks fans expect Zack Kassian to be a better player than Cody Hodgson. In fact, I highly doubt it. Hodgson will likely be good for 80 pts a season maybe 90 at one point in his career and Kassian will likely be good for 30 goals a year 50 pts a season IF he reaches his potential. However, even if Kassian can score 20-25 goals a season on a consistent basis I won't mind this trade because he'll provide that grit that we lack and probably make it easier for his line to score more goals.

Based on projected goal totals assuming he played a whole season this year he'd have 9 goals 12 assists for 20 pts which is respectable in my mind for a rookie. Don't forget that power forwards usually take longer to develop in this league than any other type of forward and so if it takes him 2 years to reach 20-25 goals a season I'm fine with that. Anything less than 15-20 goals a season from him will be a disappointment.

Archived