The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

why did we trade cody hodgson

bronski beat

I laugh at the people that treat this trade like it cost us the cup. Like Hodgson was the deciding factor, the missing key. News flash, this team went to game 7 of the finals last year without Cody doing anything.

Who did they lose from last years main cup run? Samuelsson, Torres and Ehrhoff. They now have Booth, Kassian, Pahlsson, Gragnani and a seasoned Tanev. Whether its better or worse is debatable but it's certainly pretty close.

Pahlsson is actually an even +/- player since joining the Canucks - he has managed three points as well, but he and his linemates, while drawing the other team's top lines, have managed to score at an even clip with those top lines that they are shutting down - it has only been ten games, but these are ten games during a stretch where the Canucks are stumbling and experimenting. Pahlsson did shut down some marquis players on the way to winning the Cup - they beat the Nucks, Red Wings and Senators - while losing only 5 games in the playoffs.... He would be a much better matchup against the Penguins than an over-rated rookie who scored his first points the last few games - after seven straight minus games on a team that is playing well and pulled into a playoff spot...

Pahlsson from 5 years ago is not the Pahlsson of today. 5 years ago Pahlsson was playing close to 18 minutes a game, and over 19 minutes a game in the playoffs. He's scoring at 25% of the pace he did back then. Other teams would absolutely love it if we had Pahlsson out there for 19 minutes a game because it means 19 minutes with a very minimal offensive threat.

This team, with 2 scoring lines and 2 checking lines, got shutout multiple times in the playoffs, and was scored against frequently by the depth of scoring the Bruins had. We're heading to the playoffs with essentially the same structure as last year, after saying we needed to extend the scoring depth... then traded it away.

Pahlsson from 5 years ago is not the Pahlsson of today. 5 years ago Pahlsson was playing close to 18 minutes a game, and over 19 minutes a game in the playoffs. He's scoring at 25% of the pace he did back then. Other teams would absolutely love it if we had Pahlsson out there for 19 minutes a game because it means 19 minutes with a very minimal offensive threat.

This team, with 2 scoring lines and 2 checking lines, got shutout multiple times in the playoffs, and was scored against frequently by the depth of scoring the Bruins had. We're heading to the playoffs with essentially the same structure as last year, after saying we needed to extend the scoring depth... then traded it away.

Seriously I am on the verge of gorilla backhand pimpslapping the next person that brings up comparisons of CoHo and Kass! It's so frustrating reading CDC sometimes with these kind of topics lol ...

Also, no we did not trade a 3rd line centre for a 4th line winger, we traded a 3rd line center for another 3rd line centre (Pahlsson) who is more suited for that role AND we got a bonus in big guy with the potential to become the poor man's Bertuzzi that can hit and be physical for any of our lines.

I laugh at the people that treat this trade like it cost us the cup. Like Hodgson was the deciding factor, the missing key. News flash, this team went to game 7 of the finals last year without Cody doing anything.

Who did they lose from last years main cup run? Samuelsson, Torres and Ehrhoff. They now have Booth, Kassian, Pahlsson, Gragnani and a seasoned Tanev. Whether its better or worse is debatable but it's certainly pretty close.

Samuelsson (in the playoffs) = Booth (no experience)

Torres >>> Kassian (Seriously adds nothing) + Pahlsson (weak replacement for Malholtra not playing well)

Ehrhoff >>>>>>>>>>>>> Gragnani + Tanev

Kesler has regressed.

Sedins aren't 100 point guys any more.

This team is worse.

I find it hilarious that people have passed judgement on Kassian before he has even played 10 games as a Canuck. News flash people Hodgson at Kassians age was not even playing in the NHL and was still in the minors.

I would like to add that most player that get traded to the Canucks don't show potential until the next season. Kassian has the potential to be a great power forward which this team needs, Cody was never a fit for the top 6.

To all saying Pahlsson hasn't been a good edition are obviously blind, he's a great fit.

I don't know was just commentating on the "it's close" aspect. This team, when you watch them, does not seem as good as the team last year. Least year we were bar none the most skilled team in the league, I can't say that this year.

Losing Ehrhoff hurt us more than many want to believe, he was a lot of things including extremely skilled and fit the team well.

Archived