The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coho With 2 Pts

You Buffalo fans have quite the sense of humour. Your easily replaceable discards are welcome additions to the Canucks (whose obvious lack of success indicates they can't assess talent or make sound personnel decisions....)

Kassian has been anything but a disappointment - Canucks fans are very disappointed he doesn't have any empty net goals, but a lot of us like all the positive potential he brings. "Struggling immensely" sounds like something you saved up over a long Hodgson dry spell, just itching....

Mike Gillis will have to take notes to how to spend... on overachievers like Ehrhoff, Leino, Leopold, Regehr...

Most Canucks fans aren't pissed that Hodgson has an empty netter, a fluke goal and a nice one-timer on the power play. He was pretty much expected to continue on his 35 point season pace, and be somewhat inconsistent, with some star quality flashes. He is a rookie that the world and our team didn't actually revolve around - a good young player, but not really the key to Vancouver's success. His replacement Sammi Pahlsson has been a stifling third line shut down center (scoring nearly as much as...)

Most of us aren't missing Hodgson as much as you might think, and aren't crying over every empty net goal he scores. Actually, we are glad they mean so much to you.

What Canucks fans are pissed about is the fact that Mason Raymond is scoring. Now there is no one for them to bi#ch about for the time being...

What is your definition of success?.. Because I've been under the impression that the ultimate goal is a cup, which neither franchise has.. So let's not get into a 'success' conversation..

And buffalo fans are also excited about the positive potential hodgson brings, but goals and assists right now are also encouraging..

The single most important reason we shouldn't of traded Hodgson is incase of injuries to our top-6. MG really messed up, because now our best forward may be out for the playoffs if this concussion is serious, and Hodgson would have filled in perfectly in a top-6 role.

Instead Henrik has to play with Raymond (a 3rd line player who only just scored his 10th goal) and Lapierre (a 4th liner).

I really hate the hockey argument that rationalizes the Hodgson trade because "they're different type of players". I'm not buying into that one bit. Hockey history dictates that "points matter" or more importantly "scoring goals" in most occasions. One only has to look at the list of "500 goal scorers" to see most of the best NHL players of all time. Which type of skill set represents players like Gretzky, Lemieux, Sakic, Yzerman ect? Hodgson or Kassian?

Crosby, ovechkin, stamkos, malkin are all examples of current stars that carry their teams and they're goal scorers. Goal scorers are supposed to be "supported" by tough players, not traded for them. And frankly, I feel Hodgson looks to have far more potential to get points and score goals then Kassian. Not that Kassian is a bad player, but if they are different in terms of Hodgson being a "goal scorer" and Kassian being a "banger" then we effed up. Unlucky the bruins were allowed to walk all over us, which seemed to trigger a knee-jerk reaction to add "toughness" to the team...the wrong way.

What shocked me is that the goals that Hodgson was scoring were so clutch. And not just once or twice. Not flukes. I was completely blind sided by the trade, as to me it was obvious Cody wouldn't be traded, as per "Steven stamkos unwritten agreement". Young star showing clutch, consistent goal scoring techniques. Making it look easy. We had a guy like this once. I don't like how negative my post looks either, I wish it didn't look that way. I'm just calling it the way I see it and I'm still gona be cheering Kassian on the whole way.

While using the "some" argument to prove anything is moderately laughable the truth is that many of the best players in NHL history were less than point per game players.

You see the thing with hockey is that while scoring is important it is a multi-faceted game. Do you think the 86-87 Oilers are the same team without Anderson, Mactavish or Tikkanen? (not to mention a few others)

As far as your statement I think the best way for it to make more sense and lest twisty of factsish would be to say that most point leaders are the best players in the NHL. Why that argument gets made in terms of Hodgson or Kassian is still perplexing to me but that doesn't matter really.

I posted this in a previous thread and just thought I would share it here as well. Really I think we fracked up on Hodgson and that being said, its still not the end of the world or anything. But I would prefer to understand what had happened, to try and avoid such a mistake again with another young star. Such as the likes of Cory Schneider.

Meanwhile, Kassian gets as much ice time as ever and on the top line, when Cody was being held back it seemed. could it be that this was a Cody and AV colliding of the egos? and AV was so "dead set" with Canucks recent success in the team, that he was unwilling to budge for Hodgson? That's just pure speculation, but the more time goes on this trade just doesn't make sense to me. Seems like it was more "forced" rather than "we found what we were missing". And I don't believe that Hodgson just wanted "out of Vancouver" for no obvious reason. If this was the case, I really wish AV would have had the foresight to swallow some pride and accept that some players that are really good, are also a little cocky. Do what's best for the team and leave personal matters aside. What's better for the team are goal scorers.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. But I feel like "goal scorers" are what win games. In hockey aren't team suppose to support goal scorers with tough players? Have we not just traded a goal scorer for a tough player instead? I really want to try and justify this trade in favor of our team. I really really do.

I would say watching the playoffs last year makes that statement incorrect. All the goal scoring in the world (ok that's an overstatement but the team that scored the most goals in the league) got the crap kicked out of it until it didn't work anymore. Do you think that having one more 20 goal scorer who doesn't do much checking or blocking shots would have made any difference or just gotten the hell kicked out of him as well? IMO what's better for the team is a 10 goal scorer who will hit and throw his weight around while being responsible with the puck.

IMO all the speculation is silly. He was a cancer...no wait him and AV had problems...no wait him and Bieksa had problems....no wait he had a bad attitude....Rome hit on his mom. It's all just an excuse for people trying to make sense for their side of the argument. The reality makes much more sense and it's information we actually have as fans. CoHo was a very good offensive player who probably projects as a second line center which is something this team is full up on with players who are at the very least currently much better than he is. Kassian is a player who brings something different to the team that many have said is something this team needs. Both players are very good prospects with likely great futures in the NHL.

I loved Hodgson, my favourite player by far. I enjoyed his vision, his playmaking skills and clutch goals.

One problem....

Just an assumption, but it seems as though he may be a huge cancer in the room. If I remember correctly, he had serious problems with Bieksa in the room to the point where they had to have many 1 on 1 conversations.

Another Mike Ribero anyone? (Except with all the diving)

What is your definition of success?.. Because I've been under the impression that the ultimate goal is a cup, which neither franchise has.. So let's not get into a 'success' conversation..

And buffalo fans are also excited about the positive potential hodgson brings, but goals and assists right now are also encouraging..

Never really got the money argument from fans, seeing how it's not mine, I really don't give a frack how it's spent..

But since you're speaking about it, aren't the two teams in the same boat as far as cap space? And buffalo has a younger team if I'm not mistaking?.. Leopold won't be on the team next year either..

What I said is that Hodgson was not the key to Vancouver's success. You chose to change the subject into a side issue about the definition of success...

That's great that you are excited about Hodgson's potential.

You are talking smack about the Sabres sent this way in this deal - Gragnani will never improve...if you've come to CDC to suggest that the Canucks got fleeced, obviously your input is not going to be well received, unless you are looking to incite trash talk.

Which leads to your ideas about money and the cap - if you don't care how cap space is spent, you don't understand a great deal about what it takes to build a contending team. Spending like a dictator's wife and pinning yourself up against the salary cap - when you have so many quality young players you depend on - is not something to be simply credited - when all those quality young kids come up for new contracts and you have a handful of unmovable contracts for vastly overpaid veterans... You might start to care then.

Archived