The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "officiating"

The Magician

I referee soccer and I can tell you, referees generally allow a bit of leeway with the rules.

Depending on the speed and intensity of the game, referees will let some of the more minor calls go to keep the flow of the game up.

In addition, we are human, and some calls are simply missed.

That said, I don't know what the NHL referees are trying to accomplish.

If it was a game against Boston or Detroit, I could understand being a little slower to whistle, but some of the Canucks' last few games have turned into wrestling matches. We had a lockout that ended holding and obstruction, didn't we?

Or did I just dream that?

I referee soccer and I can tell you, referees generally allow a bit of leeway with the rules.

Depending on the speed and intensity of the game, referees will let some of the more minor calls go to keep the flow of the game up.

In addition, we are human, and some calls are simply missed.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it's more appropriate here.

People need to stop complaining and worring about the refs.

Last night was another example of the way the games will be called in the playoffs. Refs put their whistles away, and when that happens, scoring becomes hard work...and hard work hasn't been seen around these parts for a good couple of months.

Forwards aren't going to the "dirty" areas in front of the net, so our game has become a perimeter game. Not going to pot many goals from the side boards where the twins like to work. Forwards are not coming back hard enough to help the defence out, hence the unbelievable number of odd man rushes we seem to be giving up the last few weeks.

The defence seems unwilling or unable to make opposition forwards pay a price for standing in front of our net or crashing our crease. Shane Doan's goal in the Phoenix game was symbolic of the issues with our defence.

This team needs to stop playing for powerplays that may not come with playoff style hockey. All of these issues could be resolved with plain hard work and a will to do it. If they can get back to this, then we'll be ok. If not, might as well book their early tee times!

Minor calls, sure. Little bit of hooking, maybe a trip or minor holding, Hand passes maybe, high sticks that don't hit players maybe..

Some of the non calls are just terrible judgement though. Heatley hacks at Henrik while he's going off on a change, and doesn't get a penalty? Burrows does for going to put a stop to that crap? That's a BS call (and lead to the GWG, too.)

Kesler has a huge, obvious red mark on his throat from a high stick. No call? That should probably have been a four minute. It's possible that was just a *missed* call, but all Kes should have to do is skate up to an official and there should be a call. That kind of play is dangerous. If you hit him hard enough to leave a welt, you could have hit him hard enough to do some serious damage. Scary.

Hansen gets goalie interference for that? He didn't touch the goalie.

I think what fans want more than anything is consistent reffing, and fair reffing. Some kind of effort to show that the league actually cares about officiating and ISN'T just managing games via the refs. Have refs do interviews and have to account for their missed calls. Establish some kind of ref review process.

Instead they fine GMs and players when anyone complains publicly about the reffing. Doesn't instill a lot of trust.

The reffing has been consistent, just consistently bad. I am just worried that the playoffs will be more of the same. After that final series last year I don't know what to expect and I don't think the Canucks do either. I don't think the refs are out there doing their own thing. I think the NHL wants the games called this way. I like a tough game between the whistles. Once play is stopped any slash, face wash, or lip should be penalized, simple to call and will get the game inline quick. Oh well that's the NHL.

It's a league wide problem and the Canucks are not the only ones to complain about it. It has become evident for most teams that calls change by the minute. Even the media is scratching their heads and they never critisize the media. The problem is those controlling the NHL changing what's important on a regular basis. First it was call every headshot, then every boarding, then every goalie interference, then every clipping, then now it's ease up on calls and that's just this season. Before that they were told to clamp down on hooking and now they tell them not to call it. If I had a job where my boss kept changing my job description I would be confused as well.

As bad as the refs are sometimes, you have to admit that anyone would be confused when the direction from upper management is so god awful.

Refs are slowing down the game by allowing more obstruction.

With the removal of the red line offside, and total lockdown on hooks, holds, and interference coming out of the lockout, the speed of the game increased radically, quite literally over night. This manifested itself in more injuries, especially to the head.

Without adding, or changing any major rules, the league has effectively (atleast in their minds) addressed the problem they created. Rules are merely being bent and ignored. This is perfectly legitimate, right? :sadno:

The big problem now, is that the fans do not know what to expect from game to game. Distrust in the NHL brand has hit an all time high.

Fan distrust will eventually lead to much bigger problems than a few injuries. It will kill the game.

The league created a problem, then tried to usher in a covert fix.

Why can't they just be above board and keep the people that pay their wages up to date on their escapades?

Chronically make mistakes game after game....You mean like letting in a goal, rining a shot off the post, not taking the right man. Each and every hockey player makes mistakes during a game. Why do we not question their integrity or compitency?

In b4 cdc does that all the time. I know there are a good chunk of you that complain about officiating, but constantly let players off the hook for their mistakes.

This is not about the refs, this is the people ABOVE the refs, deciding that obstruction should be in the game again. This is happening through out the league. Power Plays are down, and games are slower.\

Thank the three stooges. Bettman, Shanny, and Bill Daily. They are the ones who decide all this.

Our team has been dog gone awful the last few weeks. We've lost some meaningless games. Who cares? All we need to worry about is being ready to go and healthy for the playoffs. The presidents trophy, along with the Sedin's Art Rosses have meant NOTHING the last few playoffs. Stop whining about the refs. Refs give us breaks all the time. I'm appauled that the first 2 pages of this tread are nothing but crybabies who really care that we lost a game to the wild. We didn't score a goal in a full 60 minutes and you guys are gonna whine about a few instances? I can understand bitching about a series defining obviously missed call, you know, like the san jose icing call we got in game 5 last year. You know, the exact same situation people were crying about to no avail when it happened to us versus Dallas this regular season.

Chronically make mistakes game after game....You mean like letting in a goal, rining a shot off the post, not taking the right man. Each and every hockey player makes mistakes during a game. Why do we not question their integrity or compitency?

In b4 cdc does that all the time. I know there are a good chunk of you that complain about officiating, but constantly let players off the hook for their mistakes.

Does anyone else sometimes wish that AV would let these refs effing have it (like Torts does...or many other coaches) instead of just sitting there with a stupid smirk on his face?

If I am the coach and a guy does that to my star player, OR ANY PLAYER, I'd be all over that ref all game long. And if he tossed me, all the better. It's time to take a stand AV. Stand up for your players when it matters most.

I'd rather see it in game when emotions are high than using the press to make his point.

I have said this for years, that the officiating in the NHL is the weakest of all pro sports and the problem is it is accepted by the powers above in the NHL.

I am not talking about the ridiculousness the boys had to fight through all of last year during the run, in general. In the other pro sports ex soccer where do you see this type of inconsistency night to night, lack of calls etc.

1. NBA - do you ever hear teams complaining about officiating this much? Once in a blue moon, but seriously I never hear it.

2. NFL - the best in the world, they don't miss much and call it by the book, yet still let the teams play

3. MLB - strike zones differ from ump to ump but they are consistent within the game, ie the strike zone doesn't change - however in an NHL game sometimes a hook is a penalty, sometimes an elbow, sometimes not?

4. Soccer - well divers galore..so is tough on the refs...

How many times have you heard a comentator say, well the team has to watch out now, ref's going to even it up soon..ie the marbles in the pockets, they are counting penalties, not calling the game. We as fans have ACCEPTED this, thats the problem, we accept even ups in our game, we accept missed calls.

Hockey is a fast sport yes, but the amount of subjectivity refs are being provided with now is ruining the game. Garbage

Archived