The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Police Chief To Canuck Fans: 'don't Come Downtown'

ltrain

maybe if they actually punished the people who were involved in the riots, it would help deter it from happening again...these slap on the wrist sentences dont send the right message, and neither does spoiling it for everyone by canceling all celebrations.

Of course. Celebrating in the down town area will be deterred to the point of rediculousness. We have the idiots that were responsible for the riot to thank for that. And I happen to agree with the city on this one. With the fans out of the city centre and partying somewhere else, the criminal element that will definately do this again win or lose does not have the fans to keep the police busy. Sad but true. After 94, you couldn't have given me $1 million to go into town for game 7. Saw the riot coming a mile away.

There weren't downtown screens for the early rounds during last year's playoffs either. This is a Stanley Cup Finals problem and they'll have to figure something out if the Canucks win the conference again, otherwise it's business as usual. Most people stay in bars, and all pour into the streets for an hour to celebrate wins and go home.

Mayor Robertson was pretty naive in allowing big screens in the first place. Why do you think the city of Boston didn't have any events large events in their city during last year's final? It was because during the decade of 2000-2010 there were riots after the championship years when the Patriots, Celtics and Red Sox won their respective titles. Those riots resulted in a combined 3 deaths in total I believe.

Archived