The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Transgender Contestant Booted Out Of Miss Vancouver Pagent

DonLever

question is humans have lived for thousands of years but why only recently more and more people identified themselves as being born in the wrong gender? and then think it's ok to go get an operation

i'm sorry but no matter what science prove that there's a defective factor in the brain that makes them think like that, i will always see it as a cultural influence

when i get married, i expect that my wife is a real woman and can get pregnant....i'd accept the fact that some women and men are infertile but at least THAT is something that was born natural....it is very unnatural to expect pregnancy from a post-op transgender...i'm sure the other half would be devastated if he/she was lied to about the partner's gender

i agree with the suggestion that these surgeries should be illegal...it's just like mutilation

I have no problem with this person being in the contest as long as they still allow boob jobs and all other surgeries that change things. Well I would let (would I call her a she or he? Is there another term for this? I'm sorry I'm pretty ignorant about this.) her in the competition regardless. I dislike beauty pageants in general so that may be why I am apathetic about the whole topic though.

I have no problem with this person being in the contest as long as they still allow boob jobs and all other surgeries that change things. Well I would let (would I call her a she or he? Is there another term for this? I'm sorry I'm pretty ignorant about this.) her in the competition regardless. I dislike beauty pageants in general so that may be why I am apathetic about the whole topic though.

A few posts up I discussed the use of pronouns. "hir" is sometimes used as a gender neutral pronoun. In most cases I would use the pronoun the person identifies with. "her/she" in this case. You can also use her name if you're super unsure.

question is humans have lived for thousands of years but why only recently more and more people identified themselves as being born in the wrong gender? and then think it's ok to go get an operation

i'm sorry but no matter what science prove that there's a defective factor in the brain that makes them think like that, i will always see it as a cultural influence

when i get married, i expect that my wife is a real woman and can get pregnant....i'd accept the fact that some women and men are infertile but at least THAT is something that was born natural....it is very unnatural to expect pregnancy from a post-op transgender...i'm sure the other half would be devastated if he/she was lied to about the partner's gender

i agree with the suggestion that these surgeries should be illegal...it's just like mutilation

You really need to read through the posts in this thread for information or do some research on transgendered people.

How do you know people haven't been born transgendered for thousands of years and just had to hide it because it wasn't socially acceptable to acknowledge it? Thank Gawd I live in a world that is learning to accept people for who they are instead of what others who have bizarre notions of what they should be think, just because people who are 'differen't from them make them uncomfortable or don't fit in their rigidly defined little moral box.

And has ANYONE ever said they're expecting pregnancy from a post-op transgendered person?? Most post-op transgendered people are just happy enough to finally LOOK the same way outside that their brain has hard-wired them to be on the inside.

And when it comes right down to it, tattooing is a form of mutilation, getting piercings is a form of mutilation, dying your hair is a form of mutilation, breast augmentation is a form of mutilation............shall we make all these things illegal too???

By your logic, black people must have some " defective factor in the brain that makes them think like that" too? People are born black, just as transgendered people are born transgendered.

Edit: Also, is anyone forcing YOU to have gender reassignment surgery? No, they're not, so why does it matter to you so much if someone else does? Does it affect your daily life in any way? Are you so paranoid you'll 'accidentally' go out with or fall in love with someone who is a post-op transgendered person and you won't know until it's too late that you must therefore discriminate against transgendered people, period and wish to make their GRS illegal so you'll be able to tell the difference? All that does is just smack of your own major insecurity in who YOU are.

What loose usage of facts? Show me an example.

I don't use science as an absolute, I use latest findings to support my views. The differences in the brain were cited twice in this thread, and while it isn't the complete answer, it serves a better foundation than the Koran, bible, et al. If you pay attention to my postings, they are usually full of interesting links to studies and such. If you equate that to Leviticus 18:22 or Sura 4 verse 21, that really isn't my fault.

If new findings refute previous evidence, I'm going to be the guy posting it on this board.

I do regret taking this thread off course, I haven't had my juice yet and was cranky. Sorry everyone, we now resume regular broadcasting.

There's now a campaign to reinstate her into the pagent.

Campaign to reinstate transgendered Miss Universe Canada finalist Jenna Talackova underway online (with video)

Vancouver's Jenna Talackova did not meet pageant 'requirements'

By Gordon Hoekstra, Vancouver Sun March 27, 2012 8:57 AM

An online petition has been started to get transgendered Miss Universe Canada finalist Jenna Talackova of Vancouver reinstated.

The petition, which was started by a man in Brooklyn, New York, is being hosted on www.change.org, a for-profit company that says it aims to promote social change through online petitions.

The petition has more than 30,300 signatures towards the 35,000 goal.

"She is a woman who deserves to be treated like other women would be," says the petition. "What kind of genitals she was born with (and even what kind she has today) is completely irrelevant."

One petition signator argued that Talackova is legally and physically a woman. "Her being trans represents that it was harder for her than most to get where she is today, and that make her the perfect Miss Universe contestant," said the signator.

The Miss Universe pageant has acknowledged Talackova is not a contestant, but had not elaborated on why.

"She did not meet the requirements to compete despite having stated otherwise on her entry form," said the pageant.

Vancouver Observer blogger Bianca Pencz blogs that Talackova's profile was visible on the official contestants page of the Donald Trump-owned Miss Universe Canada beauty pageant last week.

"Now, her profile has disappeared without a trace. Is it a coincidence that she was their only transsexual finalist?"

Talackova spoke with The Sun Friday morning and said she won't release a statement until next week after talks to her lawyer.

Contest rules state that contestants must be Canadian citizens and between the ages of 18 and 27. They cannot be pregnant or married, but there is no mention of any cosmetic or sex-reassignment surgery being prohibited.

In a YouTube video (posted below) from the 2010 Miss International Queen transgender and transsexual competition Talackova says she knew she was a girl at four years old and began hormone therapy at 14. She says she underwent sex reassignment surgery at the age of 19 and identifies herself as 22-year-old student in the video.

"I regard myself as a woman with a history," she tells the tacky host in the video.

Pencz's blog post cites blogs as early as March 13 that were reporting Talackova's inclusion on the Miss Universe Canada's finalists page.

The pageant organization has also said they "respect her (Talackova's) goals, determination and wish her the best."

Donald Trump owns the Miss Universe organization with NBC Universal. The joint venture sells the television rights to Miss Universe-branded spinoff pageants in other countries.

Beauties of Canada Organization gained the exclusive rights to send a Canadian to the Miss Universe Pageant in 2002.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

And there it is. She lied on the registration form and as such, forfeited the right to participate in the pageant.

Whether or not transgendered people should have the right to participate in beauty pageants is another debate entirely. Perhaps the registration form questions need to be changed to reflect a more inclusive and less discriminatory language if this is to be an issue in the future.

If (former) men can get surgery and pump themselves full of hormones to compete in women's beauty pageants, should women be allowed to pump themselves full of hormones and do other unnatural things to themselves to compete in men's pro sports?

If (former) men can get surgery and pump themselves full of hormones to compete in women's beauty pageants, should women be allowed to pump themselves full of hormones and do other unnatural things to themselves to compete in men's pro sports?

Archived