The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bitz / Weise > Kassian

CanadianRugby

Kassian is young and developing. Honestly, he needs more time in the AHL. If we keep playing him up here, he won't be anything more than a 4th line bruiser. He has flashes of offensive ability and crushing checks, but isn't consistent. He's not great defensively either. I'd like to see him in the AHL next year to refine his game.

I don't mind Weise. He knows his job and goes out and does it. He's pretty speedy and is solid defensively.

As for Bitz, he offers more physicality than Weise but truthfully he is slow. Far slower than Weise or Kassian. As a result we cannot use him, ever, in a defensive role. His job is pretty much only to be a bruiser and that's it.

I'm on the side with the fact that Kassian isn't a bad pickup for the Canucks, just the timing and the trade were not probably the best. Why make a trade for a guy who probably won't make a huge impact for you in the coming playoffs? He does provide grit but you can see he just doesnt have the sense yet. So basically we traded Cody for the future, so why not make that trade after the playoffs?

Does anyone know how many hits Kassian has had since coming over to the Canucks? It doesnt seem like alot lately, and before that Blackhawks game he wasnt hitting anything for a bunch of games.

Over and over again, people have one and only one excuse for his lackluster performance. "He's too young.. only 21 years old... he has a lot of potential .. still developing... will be a great player in 5 years... but now now..."

So... what? Should we look into the playoffs a few years down the road? No, Gillis said he made the trade for the immediate needs of the team. I think he's starting to realize what a mistake he has made.

How is he better? I just don't see it...

U see something different? Bitz is bigger and probably tougher. Skating wise, I don't see Kassian being a very fast or good skater etierh, it looks like even Victor Oreskovich skates better than Kassian. So tell me, which part of Kassian's game u have seen is bettr than guys like Bitz or Oreskovich since he is a Canucks??

these threads are so pointless.

You want kassian to play physical. First you have to get a solid forecheck going which our team has not been able to accomplish the last few games. We haven't been able to get close to any of there guys to throw a bodycheck unless its in our defensive zone.

Secondly Kassian is a lot smarter than our bottom 6 guys as in weise and bitsz - which always throw themselves out of a good positional spot on the ice just to make a small minor hit. Kassian knows to make a small minor hit - will not affect the game in anyway that it's better to stay where he is, and stop the other team from attacking.

Third. Kassian is not going to run around like morons like eager, burrish and so on, there always on the ice for goals against - just because your hitting doesn't mean the other team isn't attacking. When you have the chance to hit- YOU DO. When you don't you don't go looking for one, which is what all of CDC wants him to do.

Fourth, this kid is going to be a stud- you will all be praising him come a few years. Wait until playoff's roll by and this kid is crushing everyone he see's, then there will be 20 threads on how amazing this kid is.

there should be a minimum to make threads, its getting ridiculous.

The other thing about Kassian's play that should be considered is the team that he came from, Buffalo. Not only does he have to learn Van's puck possession game but also has to fit into the culture. From what I have seen Buffalo plays the lanes, up and down. Kassian would be schooled along those veins. Sabres break more up the wings and Van goes up the middle.

Like others have mentioned AV probably wants Kassian to look and learn for the balance of the regular season. There is no reason for extra pressure on a young rookie.

The thing that concerns me is that if you read some threads on the Sabres forum...they say Kassian is a floater. Not exactly what I want to hear if he's supposed to be a bruising 4th line checker.

Yes he has potential...but let's be honest. Is he going to surplant Burrows, Sedins, Kesler, Booth and Higgins from the top 6 anytime soon? Right now...NO. Maybe in a few years...but not now...not for this cup run.

The thing that concerns me is that if you read some threads on the Sabres forum...they say Kassian is a floater. Not exactly what I want to hear if he's supposed to be a bruising 4th line checker.

Yes he has potential...but let's be honest. Is he going to surplant Burrows, Sedins, Kesler, Booth and Higgins from the top 6 anytime soon? Right now...NO. Maybe in a few years...but not now...not for this cup run.

Ya but that was last year and this is now. Hodgson proved he can produce points this year and play a dependable two-way game. He wasn't going to win the Selke but he was solid and responsible at both ends of the ice. If for whatever reason Kesler or Henrik gets injured long-term (touch wood) we have no insurance at an offensive centre. Do you really want Pahlsson Malholtra or Lappy to centre your second line?

It was just one year ago when he was the same age as Kassian now, that Cody played 8 games and got two points and people were calling him a bust.

Now Kassian who started training camp with a whole other team, came in when the team was pretty much a lock for the division title playing lackluster hockey, is getting bashed and saying that it was a fail of a trade.

The mentality on these boards is ridiculous sometimes.

It was just one year ago when he was the same age as Kassian now, that Cody played 8 games and got two points and people were calling him a bust.

Now Kassian who started training camp with a whole other team, came in when the team was pretty much a lock for the division title playing lackluster hockey, is getting bashed and saying that it was a fail of a trade.

The mentality on these boards is ridiculous sometimes.

Kassian Dale Weise was brought in to add some grit but he has stopped hitting, doesn't fight and was next to invisible when Sedin got headhunted. He was brought in to take care of business in that specific situation and did nothing. I don't see anything in Kassian Weise that is better than Oreskovich.

Bitz and Weise Kassian add better offence and are more physical. Why is Kassian Weise being played over them?

I'm not trying to dump on Kassian Weise, he's just not NHL ready. Are you guys seeing something in him that I'm not?

Archived