The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bedrock Of Vaccination Theory Crumbles As Science Reveals Antibodies Not Necessary To Fight Viruses

DarthNinja

There is a tiny, tiny chance of a baby being born with defects if the mother isn't already immune to chicken pox. Also, I wouldn't call a less than 1% chance within a 7 week span "highly dangerous". It's no Rubella. Studies show that it is helpful for the elderly (if they have had chicken pox before in their lifetime) to be exposed to chicken pox, as it acts as a booster and prevents an outbreak of shingles.

I didn't say that meningitis isn't deadly. I said that it's not necessary to do a mass immunization as most people won't be exposed in their entire lifetime. I'm sorry that your sister's friend died. My point is that meningitis isn't exactly the common cold.

I have a friend who frequently suffers malarial outbreaks. It sucks, but she's alive despite going through this probably once per year. The wonders of modern medicine mean that yes, if I'm going to a place where I'd be likely to contract malaria I could be immunized beforehand, but if I ended up contracting said illness science could still help me. I won't get a malaria vaccine until it seems to be a very real and dangerous threat, though. I'm not sure why you brought up malaria.

Why is everyone so damned afraid of being sick? Society is so backwards - we don't take care of our bodies and expect that we can just take a shot to prevent what we may be able to fight on our own with a more balanced, healthier lifestyle.

There is a tiny, tiny chance of a baby being born with defects if the mother isn't already immune to chicken pox. Also, I wouldn't call a less than 1% chance within a 7 week span "highly dangerous". It's no Rubella. Studies show that it is helpful for the elderly (if they have had chicken pox before in their lifetime) to be exposed to chicken pox, as it acts as a booster and prevents an outbreak of shingles.

I didn't say that meningitis isn't deadly. I said that it's not necessary to do a mass immunization as most people won't be exposed in their entire lifetime. I'm sorry that your sister's friend died. My point is that meningitis isn't exactly the common cold.

I have a friend who frequently suffers malarial outbreaks. It sucks, but she's alive despite going through this probably once per year. The wonders of modern medicine mean that yes, if I'm going to a place where I'd be likely to contract malaria I could be immunized beforehand, but if I ended up contracting said illness science could still help me. I won't get a malaria vaccine until it seems to be a very real and dangerous threat, though. I'm not sure why you brought up malaria.

Why is everyone so damned afraid of being sick? Society is so backwards - we don't take care of our bodies and expect that we can just take a shot to prevent what we may be able to fight on our own with a more balanced, healthier lifestyle.

God dammit this forum sucks. Spent 10 posts trying to post and edit:

In the 70s, the locals fought hard to keep fluoride out of the drinking supply in the lower mainland, therefore we don't have it. I don't think Montreal has it either.

Fluoride definitely isn't "good for you", it's toxic but it's dental benefits are debated worldwide.

Australia had the debate a few years ago, check out Youtube.

Archived