Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Mg, You Failed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#31 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,174 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Ok kids, get it all out of your system before game 3...

#32 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

Yes he did, the hodgson trade may be the back breaker for us this year. If he wanted out triad him in the off season if you can't get anything for him at the deadline.

#33 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,174 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

I did not like the Hodgson trade for the way it was done and the way MG laid the onus on the rookie.

He should have been a man and stood up and protected Cody going out with Kas coming in.He did not.

I do like Kassian and I like Pahlsson.

Booth,Kassian and Pahlsson all showed up tonight.

We have a second line problem-they don't score.

We have a problem on the PP.

Quick is an excellent goalie and LA is playing great.

LA is a very good team playing great.

That's hockey.The boys will show up and give it their all.That is all anybody can ask.

Starting with line three, I really liked what you had to say here.

#34 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

1. Not adding a top 4 defenseman
2. Trading away the scoring depth for a young Steve Bernier
3. Build a team without character (no, I am not talking about the diving, yapping character)
4. Fail to add another top 6 forward
5. Keep thinking that the roster is good enough to make it to the Final again, and fail to realize teams in the conference are all getting stronger compare to last season.

MG, YOU FAILED.

Your post sucks as do you.

258o0g4.jpg

#35 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

I just wished that MG would have signed a yappy 4th liner to complement Lappy on the 4th in the off-season.

#36 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Starting with line three, I really liked what you had to say here.

It is what it is.

Gillis learned a large lesson,hopefully.

#37 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

GUYS CHILL OUT....It's not over till its over...Its a 7 game series. We just need Danny back..
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#38 sxqhfeh

sxqhfeh

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Samuelsson 5 games 7 goals against Kings in 2010
Canucks Vs Kings - Game 5 Highlights - 2010 Playoffs

#39 cyacry

cyacry

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

I actually think he has some valid points. I think MG did fail to fill the Ehrhoff hole. He got MAG but comeon...we all know what MAG brings to the table, I rather put in Rome then MAG. Also Salo is going to be hard to replace as well...how much longer do you think Salo can play for us? 1 more season? 2?

#40 newgm

newgm

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Why did MG trade Cody for a guy we're playing 5mins a night. I get that Kassian MIGHT be a good power forward in a few years but in terms of making an impact this year, it doesn't make any sense. We could've traded virtually anything for any other tough 4th liner that'll play 5mins a game if he really wanted a player to do what Kassian is doing us right now.

We have Kassian now and he's most likely going to be a very good player for us in a couple of years, so hopefully people don't put too much pressure on him because they're dissappointment about losing Cody.

It's too bad they couldn't have waited to pull the trigger on that trade at the draft, if it had to happen.

It would have been nice to have the option to center Cody between Keslar and Booth, who don't have much chemistry with Keslar at center, I've always considered Keslar a right winger anyways, he's certainly not a puck distributor like Cody.

Losing Daniel and Cody is giving up too much offense. Still, it's not over yet.

#41 IPlay4Beer

IPlay4Beer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

I don't care what anyone says MG made a very bad move trading Cody away. We're supposed to be modelled after Detroit but Detroits rule is you never trades away your young talent.

Again......Paulson trade took Hodgeson's role on the team and MG traded a guy he couldn't use to his full potential playing behind H.Sedin, Kesler and Paulson even Manny.....for potential young prospects.....A power Forward and puck moving defenseman.

You can't blame their situation on that move can you? Paulson's been good IMO. Who's to know Daniel would be hurt after the trade deadline....You want to blame someone....Blame the Chicago Blackhawks!?!?!.....

The Canucks will bounce back......................I hope.........

#42 Captain-Canuck2562

Captain-Canuck2562

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

I think your partially right. I just don't understand how you trade away an up and coming offensive talent for an unproven big prospect. Don't get me wrong I like Kassian and the potential he has but what's the point of having him if he's sitting on the bench. If you trade for this kid play him. Who knows he might be a difference maker. This team is loosing , a great young player was traded and the key player you bring in at the trade dead line is sitting on the bench. Maybe MG an AV should have thought this through a little better on trade dead line. The window for the holy grail is very small and in my opinion the Canucks dropped the ball at the trade deadline.

#43 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

I love how people say Gillis should just go out and get a top-4 Defenceman like it was nothing.

Tell me, genius. Where do we get a top-4 D? I seriously want to know. Who is available that we can get that also won't destroy our team in the process to fit him in?
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#44 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,885 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

GUYS CHILL OUT....It's not over till its over...Its a 7 game series. We just need Danny back..

Danny will never play an NHL game again.

...Trying to be positive and realistic over the situation gets tiring after a while so I'm giving the blatant sky-is-falling mentality a try,

seU9GBs.gif

#45 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

I did not like the Hodgson trade for the way it was done and the way MG laid the onus on the rookie.

He should have been a man and stood up and protected Cody going out with Kas coming in.He did not.

I do like Kassian and I like Pahlsson.

Booth,Kassian and Pahlsson all showed up tonight.

We have a second line problem-they don't score.

We have a problem on the PP.

Quick is an excellent goalie and LA is playing great.

LA is a very good team playing great.

That's hockey.The boys will show up and give it their all.That is all anybody can ask.

+1

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#46 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,389 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

I miss Samuelsson. Toughness isn't the issue. This team lacks offensive catalysts and finishers.

This is what I've noticed the first two games.

I don't think there is another team in the league that would be putting Ebbett - let alone Ebbett only 4 games after coming back from a serious injury - out on their powerplay. And yet, there he was...

PBF020-Skub.gif

#47 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

Kesler has been terrible all year long.

I had expected him to step up come playoffs.

Now makes losing Hodgson even worse.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#48 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

Gillis has done some great things for this franchise, I like his out of the box thinking with sleep Dr.'s etc. BUT.......

A) Gillis is running a team that was built by predecessors, while adding a few pieces. While adding a few pieces, he's hurt the future of this team by throwing away draft picks like they're candy. In July, he'll be entering his 5th draft and he's yet to produce a valuable member of this team through the draft. Upon taking this job, he was given a top 10-1st round pick - he selected Hodgy. Cody then requested a trade. You look at the farm team and Schroeder, Connauton and Jensen may be options. But that's 'maybe' 3 potential options for the future of this team in 4 years of drafting?!? Are we Calgary? There is a reason Canucks prospects are rated near bottom of league - poor drafting does this. He has to bring in players like Higgins, Lappy, etc cause they don't have any players on the farm to fill the roles. But you have to give up draft picks to bring in those guys - it's a bad cycle.

B ) He made some horrible trades this yr. and failed to pick up a top 4 d-man to play with Eddie.
Edler can not play by himself, he needs a partner who can play big minutes.
In a year where your offensive players were having extremely poor years, you trade your 4th leading scorer. Haw?!

If this season goes sideways, he needs to go IMO. Even if it doesn't, he needs to either go or reevaluate his strategies and get rid of his scouts.

Edited by RunningWild, 13 April 2012 - 11:59 PM.

#49 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

Did the NHL change the playoff format to a best of 3 all of sudden?

#50 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

We needed a big shutdown defenceman, we didn't get it. MG had to replace Ehrhoff and was ignorant for thinking our defence could step up.

Sure they filled his shoes points-wise, but that's 24 minutes a night that guys like Tanev, Ballard and Rome have to play instead.

Our forwards are fine, our defence is struggling and they're not even injured yet. Bieksa and Hamhuis have done nothing special so far and Edler has really crapped the bed.

I guess i'm watching the game differently as, to me, it seems as the whole team just needs a kick in the butt...cant sustain pressure and when they do LA counter-attacks and makes them pay, most of the nucks goals (if not all) have been from lucky bounces...the biggest problem though (in my opinion) is kesler and his diving and constantly shooting the puck not looking for team mates, just because it worked last year doesnt mean he has to keep doing the same thing but w/e im not worried till we actually get eliminated. and oh my that giveaway by edler tonight was jus hilarious cuz i think everyone in the league knows the whole throw the puck behind play the nucks do all the time.

#51 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,174 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

OP

1. Not adding a top 4 defenseman
2. Trading away the scoring depth for a young Steve Bernier
3. Build a team without character (no, I am not talking about the diving, yapping character)
4. Fail to add another top 6 forward
5. Keep thinking that the roster is good enough to make it to the Final again, and fail to realize teams in the conference are all getting stronger compare to last season.

MG, YOU FAILED.

What is to Understand?

1) have you heard of the salary cap? how many top 4 d-men do we have? how many are you expecting?
2) ridiculous
3) it takes character to recognize character. Understand?
4) see number 1
5) Nashville and St. Louis have gotten stronger - who else? Who won the Conference?

Look at the Kings, have they gotten 'stronger'? I don't care for them, so I am glad they made the moves they did. They brought in Richards and Carter - they sent out Schenn, Simmonds (watch what they are doing for Philadelphia) Johnson, and a 1st and 2nd round pick to get them. They got impatient and gave up way too much youth and depth, and worse, they took on ridiculous contracts - 11 million dollars in cap hit for those two guys, and contracts that run til the years to 2020 and 2022! Drew Doughty was already in at $7 million until 2019 - 18 million tied up forever in those three guys. Can't say I would want to be a Kings fan and watch that take place, no matter how well games 1 and 2 went.

regarding Mike Gillis, you clearly don't Understand.

#52 WZRD

WZRD

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

Look at what Couturier did in Pittsburgh. Why are the Canucks (AV) so hesitant to play their young players? They never get a shot on this team. The veterans aren't getting it done and the person that the Canucks could've utilized was traded away.

I wonder who Gillis will trade Schneider for. I'm not so confident that he'll get the Canucks a good return.

#53 afan

afan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

MG, you failed big in trading away Hodgson and Grabner. When the team lost in the SCF scoring only 8 goals in 7 games, MG should be happy he got secondary scoring from the third line centered by Hodgson. But after becoming the rookie of the month in Jan, he was shipped out in Feb for 2 spare parts in Kassian and Gragnani and now this team is again unable to score enough goals to win any game. I think MG is going to make an even bigger mistake in the off season by trading away Schneider.

#54 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,941 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

We're down two games and have one of the best road records in the league this year. Let's all take a deep breath, step back from the ledge, and wait till Sunday night before deciding to jump.

We have a whole summer to analyze this teams' issues, but let me summarize what I believe is and has been the issue for a few years now...and that is that if the Sedins don't score, then who the heck else on this team is going to pick up the slack? It's the same problem that keeps rearing it's ugly head every year and MG has yet to figure it out. I'm not talking regular season scoring here...I'm talking about being able to score in the playoffs, when it's much harder to do so. I think that if there's one area MG failed to address, it was adding certain types of players on offence and defence that might be more suitable to playoff type hockey.

Edited by MJDDawg, 14 April 2012 - 12:35 AM.

4X5ed5z.gif

Credit to Tony Zamboni for the sig.

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#55 Sick Hands

Sick Hands

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

Id much rather have a complete rebuild instead of hanging around gettin @ss raped by edmonton night after night in a few years and become the next calgary...

No Thanks....we deserve better than this.

A Toast to Aquillini for getting Torterella.

An owner who knows what the people want.

That's entertainment.

#56 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,279 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

I'm a mega supporter of MG, but lets face it guys, when it comes to crunch time, he isn't willing to make that big deal to put us over the top. Cody Hodgson packaged with a high draft pick could have landed us almost anyone, the least he could have done was get someone who was at least contributing in the NHL at the same level CoHo was. Especially when we are supposed to be competing for the cup this year. I am very disappointed in the work he has done this year. We've lost Ehrhoff, CoHo, Samuelsson, Torres, (Malhotra to an extent) and really the only noticeable thing we have in return is Booth who is not meshing with Kesler at all.

Seems like we have the mentality of a winner, but not have the team of a winner.

The window is closing for us, this off season will be very interesting, a first round exit would mean massive changes I would come to certainly hope/expect.

Edited by hsedin33, 14 April 2012 - 12:45 AM.

#57 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

We needed a big shutdown defenceman, we didn't get it. MG had to replace Ehrhoff and was ignorant for thinking our defence could step up.

Sure they filled his shoes points-wise, but that's 24 minutes a night that guys like Tanev, Ballard and Rome have to play instead.

Our forwards are fine, our defence is struggling and they're not even injured yet. Bieksa and Hamhuis have done nothing special so far and Edler has really crapped the bed.

Grags! :D

We have Kassian now and he's most likely going to be a very good player for us in a couple of years, so hopefully people don't put too much pressure on him because they're dissappointment about losing Cody.

It's too bad they couldn't have waited to pull the trigger on that trade at the draft, if it had to happen.

It would have been nice to have the option to center Cody between Keslar and Booth, who don't have much chemistry with Keslar at center, I've always considered Keslar a right winger anyways, he's certainly not a puck distributor like Cody.

Losing Daniel and Cody is giving up too much offense. Still, it's not over yet.

Kesler*.

Again......Paulson trade took Hodgeson's role on the team and MG traded a guy he couldn't use to his full potential playing behind H.Sedin, Kesler and Paulson even Manny.....for potential young prospects.....A power Forward and puck moving defenseman.

You can't blame their situation on that move can you? Paulson's been good IMO. Who's to know Daniel would be hurt after the trade deadline....You want to blame someone....Blame the Chicago Blackhawks!?!?!.....

Pahlsson*. Hodgson*.
Posted Image

#58 coyotecanuck

coyotecanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

I never did agree with the trade, regardless of how we were 'manhandled' by boston in the SCF - I would've stuck with a skillful lineup instead of getting enforcer / big guy types.

Hindsight is 20/20. It's a safe bet that Cody, or his dad or his agent asked for a trade. If that is the case, it is also probable that EVERYONE on the team knew it. So MG's hands were tied.

Maybe MG could have done more for the team for the playoff push, but I'd take his methodology over any other GM in the history of this team.

"Who knows, the center ice ref might have had a better view than the ref 5 feet away."

#59 Anti-Bettman

Anti-Bettman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

Regardless of who took Codys spot, you are missing the point completely..... you DON'T trade away your young talent that you brought up through your system. Its a dumb trade and these playoff games show it.

* 1st in Canucks Fantasy Hockey 2011/12*

Posted ImagePosted Image

#60 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

I think your overall post rating of -458 speaks for how valid your opinion is

Hahahaha, I reached my "Quota of positive votes for the Day" so I can't + you so here Ya go,

+1 thanks for the Laugh haha Agree 100%

zackass.png

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.