The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden For Gm

VanNuck

No disrespect to Trevor Linden,but great players do not neccesarily mean that thy're going to be great NHL GM's or coaches..Wayne Gretzky and Steve Yzerman say hello.

Well first of all, there's no guarantee Linden being here would mean winning right away. Sometimes it takes time. But under MG, the team has already gone as far as it could - and the ship is breaking up rapidly now. Linden can't be any worse.

Secondly, Yzerman and Gretzky have been tremendous in the front offices for Team Canada, leading their teams to Olympic gold. Yzerman's Lightning is hitting hard times, but he's still got the pieces to rebound.

Thirdly, Linden doesn't get the nod based on his successes as a player alone. The man has been a longtime president for the NHLPA and as some business experience. Has considerable substance to be considered for the job.

So much of being a GM is about negotiating legal contracts, trades, etc. etc. so hard for a player to just step into it.

Not unless they had served as an NHLPA president for almost 8 years and made negotiations during a lockout.

Not unless they had served as an NHLPA president for almost 8 years and made negotiations during a lockout.

I was speaking more generally. Trevor seems like a pretty smart businessman too (real estate, gyms, etc.) so he may be able to do it.

You can always hire a lawyer and an accountant to handle the legal, contractual, and accounting side (And Cap side) of the business.

What we need is a hockey guy to fire our scouts, our coaching staff, and our medical staff/trainers. And bring in people who:

1) Take care of our injured players properly.

2) Try to help players prevent injuries, and improve recovery time.

3) Draft good players no matter what round and find those late round gems.

4) Develop players properly with AHL and Junior experience.

5) Have a coaching staff that give the support, preparation, and improvement to make good players into great players.

6) Have a coaching staff that knows what improvise, adapt and overcome means.

We need a clean sheet, and it's time to gut the house and rebuild off a solid foundation.

At this point I'm thinking of giving Neil Smith a shot at the NHL again. Someone that can scout talent.

But hey, if Trev wanted the gig, I'd give it to him.

You can always hire a lawyer and an accountant to handle the legal, contractual, and accounting side (And Cap side) of the business.

What we need is a hockey guy to fire our scouts, our coaching staff, and our medical staff/trainers. And bring in people who:

5) Have a coaching staff that give the support, preparation, and improvement to make good players into great players.

We need a clean sheet, and it's time to gut the house and rebuild off a solid foundation.

At this point I'm thinking of giving Neil Smith a shot at the NHL again. Someone that can scout talent.

That's right. If Justin Trudeau can run for the Liberal leadership based on his sheer popularity and build a team of people who know what to do, then Linden can do the same as GM.

I nominate Steve Nash.. he can just surround himself with people who know about being a general manager of a professional sports team... and, like, hockey. Can't be worse than Jay Feaster.

Great idea. Steve Nash would replace the uniforms with shorts and install hoops over the nets. Yeah, he'd make a great hockey GM.

Tell us why. There is nothing worse than just making statements without backing up your point.

Gillis has done a fine job as GM, and as someone said, there will have to be major disappointment before he loses his job. Well, I can give you this disappointment: should we fail to make the SCF this year - yea, we could even fall out of the playoffs in this first round the way things are going. This season, the fans want nothing less than total victory and if they don't get it, more people will call out Gillis and expect him to have the boot.

I can point to a number of controversial moves that Gillis made that most fans disagree with - the only thing that will change their minds is a Stanley Cup.

Dealing away Hodgson - the trading of our future

Trading for Ballard - at best, an overpayment for a good defenseman (gave up the high potential Michael Grabner), at worst a total bust

Giving up Mitchell - Mitchell was still valuable, even despite his concussion, plus he brought irreplaceable intangibles

Not repairing rift with Linden - Linden, in the eyes of the fans, is the Vancouver Canucks itself. Bad for PR not to bring him back in some capacity.

Ok we are not sure about Hodgson just yet and way too early to tell. We may agree on that!!

As for trading for Ballard, Would you have been more happy having an overweight out of shape Grabner come to camp? Why was he waived again in Florida?

In a cap era would you take a chance on a Concuss D-men who even himself wasn't sure he would ever return. Now highsight is 50/50. What happens if Gillis did signed Mitchell and he took a hit and ended his Career would you be blasting Gillis for wasting cap space knowing he has a history of concussions.

Now I've never heard no rift Between Linden and Management. Where did you here this from? The media,heresay, or speculation? From what we heard from Linden was he wanted to step away from the game, and venture to other business adventures.

Great idea. Steve Nash would replace the uniforms with shorts and install hoops over the nets. Yeah, he'd make a great hockey GM.

but even if he just stood there and spun a ball on his finger, he'd be a better interview than Gillis

Exactly. This is the best post I have read here in ages.

Right on the money!

I hate Linden fans. Most unrealistic people ever. The guy was a decent player and great off the ice. Nothing more.

Another +1 for you.

It didnt occur to these people that Linden is so far removed from the game, that he just doesnt care for a job like that, or the possible fact that he might just flat out suck at it.

Before I begin, we got to give credit to Gillis for what he has done for the team, building a good foundation and establishing purpose for the franchise. He certainly done well on two areas: drafting prospects and handling little things to attract better players and make them perform better.

But he has also taken out a lot of the team's former soul. Long removed are the 90s, when we had players who identified with the fans and made us a part of the game. The team has ceased to be a team for the fans and instead has become a machine - and a useless one too, having lost in the Finals and could get swept in the first round despite winning the President's Trophy. They treat players as assets instead of humans - enter Willie Mitchell - and that translates into less connection with the city, less respect from opponents, and less of a will to win. You say the players want to win, and I have no doubt that's true, but evidently they don't have enough of that swagger, confidence or will, otherwise we would have won the Cup by now.

There is more that I could talk about, but I will get straight to my point. Linden would be an ideal replacement for GM. From serving as Captain Canuck to president of the NHLPA, I think he has enough on his resume for this job. He is a strong, stable, and personable leader who knows how to assemble his team and make deals. Most importantly, he cares about this city more than anyone in the Canuck organization.

Linden is respected league-wide, even by the opponents. If your leader carries this kind of clout, your team won't be the object of scorn and derision. Your players will feel more up to task of winning.

Linden is just that kind of a guy that players would go through a brick wall for. Gillis, on the other hand, isn't so. That's why we ought to bring back number 16.

I agree with everything you said except the 1st paragraph. IMO, Gillis hasn't done a whole lot. What foundation are you talking about?? In 5 years he has one A level prospect in the system and that's Jensen. He has made some bad trades. He inherited the best players on this team, all Gillis has done is add role players/bottom 6 plugs. He hasn't added anyone that can put us over the top. He has been given undue credit for this team's success. He is a good agent who is good at negotiation contracts, but he is not a very good GM imo.

Gillis would be great as a head of hockey operations or something who could help with negotiating and dealing with the legal side of things, Gillman seems to be on the ball as an AGM - but definitely there should be someone with more GM experience with that job it seems.

never want Linden on any of the public staff position like coach or gm cos sooner or later he will be chew out by our fan base like all our star players/GM/coaches.

No, i don't want to see the image of the city destroy by the fans.

Archived