The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo Requests A Trade During Exit Meeting With Gillis

there's no way in hell MG have the upper hand or would have the upper hand. team knows MG will have to trade Luongo away, and If MG contacts them than obviously they are on the list, or if they contact MG and MG is willing to negociate with them then they know they are on the list. it's not like there's going to be 10+ team fighting, If they lose out on Luongo, it's not like there isn't any other goalie available in the league, and chances are it's going to cost them less too. It won't hurt other team if Vancouver is stuck with an unhappy Luongo, and also a ton of cap tied down on 2 goalies. If anything it'll make vancouver even less of a contender to sign a top 4 defensemen coz they have even less cap space to work with.

Just listened to Cherry talk about it. Honestly, a big chunk of the time I don't have a care in the world for Cherry's banter, but this time he's right on the mark. He said Luongo was humiliated in Vancouver and that's pretty much bang on. He took so much crap from us, the fans, and the media. Forget whether it was deserved or not. Forget the fact that he makes millions and he shouldn't care about what people say (an attitude I myself, regrettably, used to employ). The guy was turned on as if he was a member of one of Vancouver's rivals and not, you know, our OWN player.

Now that I'm making myself reflect on all this, I feel disgusted as a Canucks fan, especially because I was guilty of it too sometimes. If Luongo is going to go, so be it. But I really hope this city makes damn sure he leaves on a high note. Let's put the bad playoff games in the past and appreciate this player for all that he did for the Vancouver Canucks and let's make sure he knows it.

Not really cause the list was revealed. MG would have the upper hand if teams that were desperate to get him could be pitted against eachother. No GM would know how many other teams were competing and who exactly was on the list.

Anyway you look at it, this hurts Canucks org. I think it's rather petty that his camp would reveal the list. No way Murph tweets that Toronto and Tampa were on 'the list' if he didn't get it directly from the source (Lu) or his agent.

Just listened to Cherry talk about it. Honestly, a big chunk of the time I don't have a care in the world for Cherry's banter, but this time he's right on the mark. He said Luongo was humiliated in Vancouver and that's pretty much bang on. He took so much crap from us, the fans, and the media. Forget whether it was deserved or not. Forget the fact that he makes millions and he shouldn't care about what people say (an attitude I myself, regrettably, used to employ). The guy was turned on as if he was a member of one of Vancouver's rivals and not, you know, our OWN player.

Now that I'm making myself reflect on all this, I feel disgusted as a Canucks fan, especially because I was guilty of it too sometimes. If Luongo is going to go, so be it. But I really hope this city makes damn sure he leaves on a high note. Let's put the bad playoff games in the past and appreciate this player for all that he did for the Vancouver Canucks and let's make sure he knows it.

To the ones who say the fans aren't to blame you may want to watch!

This one reminds me of Patrick Roy when he left Montreal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcLNY9Wl26s

This is Sportscentre after the first video response of the fans to Luongo, players who speak out about the matter are Kevin Bieksa, Alex Burrows and Cory Schneider.

Fans and media to blame for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFRVSLFYoRY

Wow... just WOW!!! what have the Canucks become of themselves this year? Okay you minority of a minority of the so called Canucks fan or haters. You got your wish come true today! Here we are with the best starter goalie (LU) since MaClean and what did he get from the so call fans, media and such as? A big kicked in the ass, slapped on the face, booed left and right, and the list goes on... So Cory is the the best now eh? I can't wait for some of you so called fans to start booing his ass off too. As for the Canucks organization, WTH? You guys supposed to put a Cup contender team together and not rebuilding a team? I can tell you this much, everyone can forget about the Canucks be a Cup contender for many years to come, that you can take it to the bank. One bad decision after another.

And no, I am not a Lu fan, but I live in the real world and anyone with logic and do the math for the Canucks for the next couple of years.

Anyways, good luck to Lu whichever team he ends up with and thanks for all the great games and goal tending you provided for the Canucks team for your time here in Vancouver!!!

He's on right now,

Via TWit

Don Cherry@CoachsCornerCBC

Luongo has been the whipping boy in BC for a long time. If I were Canucks I would be careful about trading him though

6h cc-300_normal.jpgDon Cherry@CoachsCornerCBC

I wouldn't blame Luongo if he wants out of VAN. He's been the biggest escape goat of all time. If MacLean let's me, I'll have more tonight

Grapes got it right. Again. Lu has to get out!

The one thing Grapes didn't say, but is painfully obvious is that Gillis is a two faced p.o.s. He would never ask a player to waive his NTc, but he'll bench a player of Luongo's stature in the SC playoffs? He disrespected Lu, embarrassed him and left him no choice but to ask out.

Shame on you MG - no way to treat a long time and loyal player. Today I'm embarrassed to be a fan.

I see the politics have begun.

There's no way Gillis camp released or leaked any of this information, so it has to be coming from Lu's camp. Gillis has signed Sturm, traded for Booth and Kassian, not a word of these transactions have been leaked to the public. Gillis knows it's in his best interests to keep these things quiet.

The fact that Lu publicly stated he would wave his no trade, then subsequently released the list of teams just hurts the Canucks organization. It hurts them cause now Gillis's has no leverage. There is no 'testing' the market place to see what Lu's worth, it's now 'we have to trade him, so what will you give us'. But leaking the list of teams hurts the most. Teams now know there's a 'small' list and who their competition is. It essentially eliminates Gillis's ability to play one team against eachother to increase Lu's value. Uhhh. Not impressed, Gillis is in a tough spot. Lu's camp doesn't gain anything from releasing this information publicly other than to make sure he's traded.

Nash is handling his mess well. He never publicly stated he requested a trade and the list of teams was never revealed. As a result, Columbus GM has all the leverage in the world.

I'm rather unimpressed that it's come to this.

Aww boy this isn't good. The Canucks need Luongo, we can't just rest our entire season's hopes on a kid who has started 56 games over 4 seasons. Who knows how Schneider will do with 60+ games, he could easily crack under the pressure of a full-time position. And then there's the problem of finding a backup capable of playing 20-30 games...

Trading Schneider would have been the easier option, and we'd get more in return as well.

If MG traded Hodgson because he wanted out, he won't find it hard to move Luongo either. I just hope the 3 stupid nothing-games at the end of our playoffs didn't make Luongo decide this, because we had no chance of coming back from a 3-0 hole anyway.

Huh? You don't think MG was pulling strings from upstairs? Born last night were ya?

Lu sat for three games, and had the nucks lasted longer, CS would have ridden the wave. It was all orchestrated to force Lu's hand, make him wave his NTc. Gillis is a two faced p.o.s.

Archived